Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: 11 x-ray mos?

  1. #1
    Member Heazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    an army base.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    426

    Default 11 x-ray mos?

    Hey, i was wondering what you guys think of the 11x mos (infantry-special forces selection)? I'm enlisting and want to go infantry but i'm torn between 11x or 11b/c. I'm, leaning to just going 11b/c as 11x seems very questionable as most 11x enlisties will probably drop-out and get folded into infantry anyway. Going SF is on my list of things i might want to shoot for but should i be more realistic about the realities. It also seems that it would be better for person interested in SF to gain experience from regular infantry rather than go straight in as an e-2/3

  2. #2
    Public Bar Patron. schwarz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    ..........
    Last edited by schwarz; 03-24-2007 at 10:22 PM.

  3. #3
    "It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Stay in your goddamned fanboy lane.
    Posts
    7,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heazy View Post
    Hey, i was wondering what you guys think of the 11x mos (infantry-special forces selection)? I'm enlisting and want to go infantry but i'm torn between 11x or 11b/c. I'm, leaning to just going 11b/c as 11x seems very questionable as most 11x enlisties will probably drop-out and get folded into infantry anyway. Going SF is on my list of things i might want to shoot for but should i be more realistic about the realities. It also seems that it would be better for person interested in SF to gain experience from regular infantry rather than go straight in as an e-2/3
    SF? Try google.

    http://www.goarmy.com/JobDetail.do?id=346

    http://www.us-army-info.com/pages/mos/infantry/11x.html

  4. #4
    Senior Member szr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    9,432

    Default

    Isn't the 'SF contract' 18x?

    I don't think 11x means anything other than your specific infantry MOS will be determined for you at a later time.

    11x option 40 is or was the 'Ranger contract'.

    Of course all either contract means is you'll get a shot at SFAS or RIP depending on the contract. Pass selection or indoc and you're on your way. Most don't pass and a lot of the 11x opt 40's end up in the 82nd or so I've been told.

  5. #5
    Member vulpine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hopping from FOB to FOB in a big ass MRAP
    Age
    38
    Posts
    219

    Default

    11X is just Infantry not yet designated. What 11 series you become depends on your duty station. For example if you go to Ft. Bragg or Campbell you will be 11B which is light Infantry. If you go to Ft. Hood you would be mechanized INF and therefore be 11M. After basic a person could go to motar school and would be 11C which is motars. Back in the day there were also 11H which was TOW mounted HUMMVE's they are gone now. All SF MOS's are 18 series, for example weapons is 18B.

  6. #6
    BTDT a while ago, currently sitting on my arse tboy01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Convict land
    Posts
    183

    Default

    I thought it was the 18X program which was for special forces?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    200

    Default

    If you are given the chance to go SF immediately then I say do it. They will train you to the level that they need you need to be at. If you go and try infantry for a while you may get stuck. You don't need to worry about experience, you will get plenty of it.

    --KG

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vulpine View Post
    11X is just Infantry not yet designated. What 11 series you become depends on your duty station. For example if you go to Ft. Bragg or Campbell you will be 11B which is light Infantry. If you go to Ft. Hood you would be mechanized INF and therefore be 11M. After basic a person could go to motar school and would be 11C which is motars. Back in the day there were also 11H which was TOW mounted HUMMVE's they are gone now. All SF MOS's are 18 series, for example weapons is 18B.
    Uhhh no. 11b is an infantrymen and 11c is your mortarmen. Your duty station has nothing to do with your MOS. 11b doesn't mean light infantry. It's just infantry. By the way, you can't tryout for SFAS unless your at least an E-4. That means 2 years in the Army before you can even put in a 4187. That could be a longtime in legland. On the otherhand, I'd personally think you'd be a much better asset with that sort of experience. I could be wrong, but I doubt 18x guys are deploying and doing the hard **** straight out of the q-course and whatever crap they have to do. Maybe some cherry ass SF guy can let us know.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Robbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    6,608

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heazy View Post
    Hey, i was wondering what you guys think of the 11x mos (infantry-special forces selection)? I'm enlisting and want to go infantry but i'm torn between 11x or 11b/c. I'm, leaning to just going 11b/c as 11x seems very questionable as most 11x enlisties will probably drop-out and get folded into infantry anyway. Going SF is on my list of things i might want to shoot for but should i be more realistic about the realities. It also seems that it would be better for person interested in SF to gain experience from regular infantry rather than go straight in as an e-2/3
    Don't ask for career advice from an internet forum...

    Step 1.
    Request an info pack from http://www.goarmy.com/special_forces/
    the link is on the right.

    Step 2.
    Talk to a recruiter.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    1,512

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob_e_bee View Post
    Don't ask for career advice from an internet forum...

    Step 1.
    Request an info pack from http://www.goarmy.com/special_forces/
    the link is on the right.

    Step 2.
    Talk to a recruiter.
    Career advice from a recruiter...good idea

  11. #11
    Public Bar Patron. schwarz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Yes talk to a recruiter AFTER you have all the info and decided what you want. And even then dont believe a damn thing they tell you.

  12. #12
    Unpopular Nonentertaining Member Abolith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Next to death valley... it's damn hot out here :(
    Posts
    5,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
    Yes talk to a recruiter AFTER you have all the info and decided what you want. And even then dont believe a damn thing they tell you.
    my recruiter wa honest with me.. everythign happened just like he said it would... well a few minor details got left out but the bulk of it was good.

  13. #13
    Member Heazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    an army base.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Thanks for the speedy clarification on the mos, it makes sense now. I've also spoken to my recuiter and they seem honest and trustworthy.

  14. #14
    Public Bar Patron. schwarz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,660

    Default

    Just watch yourself not all recruiters are ****s but its better safe than sorry...right?

  15. #15
    Unpopular Nonentertaining Member Abolith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Next to death valley... it's damn hot out here :(
    Posts
    5,649

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by schwarz View Post
    Just watch yourself not all recruiters are ****s but its better safe than sorry...right?
    too true! I met alot of guys in boot who got screwed pretty good... I guess I was lucky.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •