While most of the cavalry regiments have been transformed to armoured regiments, the 61st Cavalry remains to the be only horsed regiment in the world today. In 2003 the regiment celebrated fifty years of existence as cavalry regiment at Jaipur. Gen NC Vij, Chief of the Army Staff who is also the Colonel of the regiment, witnessed the golden jubilee parade and took the salute.
A large number of spectators including members of the royal families who had contributed to the making of this regiment witnessed the ceremony. Gen Vij also addressed a special sainik sammelan in which he announced that henceforth 61st Cavalry would be recognised in "Group Y" for the benefit JCO’s and men.
With the abolishment of privy purses post-Independence, it became increasingly difficult for the royals of yore to maintain its army of horsemen. It was decided to disband all regular cavalry units of the states and raise a new Horsed Cavalry Regiment Jaipur in 1953 with Col Phulel Singh (ex Jammu and Kashmir State Forces) as its first Commandant.
Amalgamating horsed cavalry units of Gwalior Lancers, Jodhpur/Kachhawa Horse, Mysore Lancers, 'B' Squadron 2nd Patiala Lancers and Saurashtra Horsed Cavalry Squadron, the regiment was redesignated as 61st Cavalry in January 1954.
Not just adding decor to the Army, this regiment also performed operational roles. With 39 battle honours, this regiment has been commended since their charge at Haifa. It was also deployed in Ganganagar sector during 1965 and also took part in operations Pawan, Rakshak, Vijay and Parakram.