Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FAMAS in 7.62 NATO?

Default FAMAS in 7.62 NATO?

Has there ever been plans of a FAMAS variant in 7.62 NATO Calibre?

Just asking becouse there has never been a bullpup rifle in 7.62 NATO. It would make great sniper weapon.

I know there was the AWC Bullpup but it was only a bullpup converted M14 Rifle.

OC-14 Groza is in both 9mm and 7.62x39

He meant 7.62x51mm, though.

Kel Tec is making a 7.62 X 51 mm bullpup rifle. There will be three versions, all will have the same action and recievers, the only difference will be the lengths of the barrels.

carbine - 18 inches
    Sporter - 24 inches
    Target - 32 inches

There is a PDF file that has more info
    http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downlo...T_2007_web.pdf

There is also another company in the states ACE Ltd. They are planning on making a FN-FAL bullpup conversion, it is still in prototype stage. Had seen pictures before, but can't find them now. They are also making a bullpup AR-15.

http://riflestocks.com/images06/ARBP/ARBP-ss.jpg

Also I don't know if you are only talking about semiautomatics or not, but in Europe there has been a lot of bullpup bolt action rifles in 7.62 X 51 mm. Most of them are hunting rifles, but one military/LE rifle is the AMP TS DSR-1 rifle, it comes in 7.62 NATO, .300 win and .338 lapua. Don't remember the URL, but just google AMP DSR-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutaway View Post
    Just asking becouse there has never been a bullpup rifle in 7.62 NATO. It would make great sniper weapon.
    even so but a similar rifle chambered for .300 win mag or .338 Lapua Magnum would improve on that and could prove rather popular in the civilian market for hunting.

- Alex

edit: oh bugger when i posted i couldn't read what was said above.

first ask your self, Why the bullpup design? That should answer your question.

But it is a interesting concept.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
    first ask your self, Why the bullpup design? That should answer your question.

But it is a interesting concept.
    Having read quite a few threads, I know that you (Hollis) is very familliar with firearms and I don't want what I am going to say next sound like I am trying to teach you how to suck eggs. But maybe the info will be informative or interesting to some other members.

The concept of bullpup came about because the british wanted a rifle that could be used in the saddle more easily then the normal sized rifle (back when the british calvary still went to war on horses).

Some hunters, well at least gamewardens that I have spoken with, like a bullpup rifle because it presents a shorter package when having to go through brush or heavily wooded areas.

Also bullpup, gives a longer barrel within a shorter package. I know that the SA80 gets a bad rep but when I used it, I liked it. It was easy to do FIBUA with (except can't shoot with lefthand around corners) and it took up less space in vehicles. With its combination of full length barrel and SUSAT, it was really accurate as well.
    Last edited by scuba; 03-28-2007 at 02:21 AM. Reason: spelling

Also, couldn't believe I forgot about this one, the Walther WA2000 sniper rifle was a bullpup.

Also AMP's DSR is bullpup:

http://www.amp-ts.com/products/dsr_allgm.html

-jippo

Yeah, scuba already said that.

Are you looking specifically for a FAMAS in 7.62? Or just any bullpup? It's not easy to convert a weapon to fire a heavier caliber after design, so I don't know if the FAMAS could handle that cartridge without serious modification.

Faux Phallus Smuggler

i think that the variety of newer firearms development into bullpup style guns is a good thing. Their versatility is obvious ... who doesn't want a more compact size and keeping/extending barrel length ? (at least on paper!). SOme do have doubts about "feel" or shooting style, but i think that can change with drill instruction. I think countries and weaps manufacturers should at least consider it. (hoping to see bullpup m16/m4 soon!)

As a sniper weapon, a bullpup might make sense although I'm still in the bolt action camp on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by scuba View Post
    Kel Tec is making a 7.62 X 51 mm bullpup rifle. There will be three versions, all will have the same action and recievers, the only difference will be the lengths of the barrels.

carbine - 18 inches
    Sporter - 24 inches
    Target - 32 inches

There is a PDF file that has more info
    http://www.kel-tec.com/images/downlo...T_2007_web.pdf
    That forward ejection seems like it would be a ***** if it got jammed up.

A 7.62 NATO FAMAS?

Just one comment - WHY, IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT'S HOLY, WHY!!???