Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: F-105

Default F-105

Hello. Digging through the crates and found some old photos of the F-105. I apologize if this is a repost. Most are USAF photos, T-Press, and M. Henning, and were in bad condition.

1. This photo had no details. I thought the nose art was quite unique! My guess is it's a "D" possibly over South East Asia. Any help to ID the plane would be grateful:

2. Another beautiful photo with Bicentennial markings. This one's definitely a "B" from NJ ANG, possibly 108 Tac Fighter Wing/141 Tac Fighter Squad. From the other photos in the set, it was taken at McGuire Air Force Base:

3. A nice example of the G-type. Sorry for the poor scan - the markings reads "LAST ANG F-105 FLT - MAY 25 1983 - 1964~1983 - PEACH 91" (always sad to see a plane get retired). From the Georgia ANG, 116 TFW/128 TFS:

3. Here's a rare photo of a Thunderstick-II (or T-Stick II). I believe only 30 T-Stick II's were ever flown. This one taken at Carswell AFB - Texas AFRES 301 TFW/457 TFS. Very hard to see in the photo, but in tiny letters next to the tail code is "UD" to spell out "TH-UD". You can also clearly make out the static discharger, unique to the T-Stick's:

4. Front panel of an F-105G First in Last Out from the 35 TFW/562 TFS. The photo was taken at George AFB:

30 Years of the "Thunderchief":

The YF-105A-1-RE; only 2 ever made. Photo is probably from '55?

The YF-105B. I believe the photo is a 1-RE from around 1956; if anyone knows, please let me know.

The F-105B; probably a 5-RE.

The F-105D:

Another photo of the T-Stick-II. My guess, this one is from the 23 TFW/563 TFS:

The F-105F; I think most of these were used as trianers?

The Wild Weasel III! Definitely NOT used for training - apologies for the ****ty photo. Maybe flown for Iron Hand (I don't have any photos of them carrying Standard-ARMs or SHRIKEs)?

The super rare Combat Martin. You can clearly see there's no guy in back, and the 128-Blade Antenna right behind the rear seat, only 6 ever flown before they were axed:

Another rare photo...the Commando Nail. Photo possibly from Corat 388TFW/44TFS:

Finally, the ubiquitous Thunderchief, F-105G:

Also have a set of photos when the Thunderbirds flew the F-105B - pain to scan, but if anyone needs to see, I'll be happy to. Hope this helps!

nice pics, always loved the F-105, oh and welcome to MP.net

Banned user

Great pics, and thanks for sharing! Nice 1st post too!

About the F-105, I know they've been retired for many many years now, but are any still left flying? It'd be neat to see one at an airshow. Are there any left sitting in some boneyard in Arizon? It's a beautiful bird, and it looks like it goes 1,000 mph just standing on the ground.

Republic F-105 Thunderchief

Edit: Welcome tp Mp.net Noha!

Here's a few good ones. The tanking one is one of my favorites. I can almost imagine them tanking up for the flight home after a mission over Vietnam.
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

F-105D-31-RE '***** Galore II'Unit: 354th TFS, 354th TFW, USAF
    Serial: 62-4364
    Pilot - Captain Vic Vizcarra. Takhli, Thailand, October 1966.

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/c...reviewrk_1.htm

http://decals.kitreview.com/decals/c...reviewrk_1.htm

Great first post, Noha_Fechts. Thanks for the pics.

Suspended for infractions Anthony91's Avatar

Thanks for your pictures Noah.

Quote Originally Posted by mas36 View Post
    Great pics, and thanks for sharing! Nice 1st post too!

About the F-105, I know they've been retired for many many years now, but are any still left flying? It'd be neat to see one at an airshow. Are there any left sitting in some boneyard in Arizon? It's a beautiful bird, and it looks like it goes 1,000 mph just standing on the ground.
    Sadly, there aren't any F-105s flying and probably won't be any ready to fly another day. One of the major factors that led to the F-105s being retired was that many of the survivors from Vietnam were found to have severe stress cracks in their wings and wing spars. It's possible there are a few examples still left at the AMARC facility, but don't be surprised if you find out that there aren't any remaining. What might surprise you is there are a number of F-105 fuselages in various conditions, in places like the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology for example. The F-105 is definitely a rare bird, and museums are quickly grabbing up the remaining survivors. If there ever was the possibility of one ever to fly again, I'd say there are a few out there that would be able to after some work, and if you could find a J-75 engine in good condition. The "Dollar-Nickel" is definitely a classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Noha_Fechts View Post

Also have a set of photos when the Thunderbirds flew the F-105B - pain to scan, but if anyone needs to see, I'll be happy to. Hope this helps!
    Yes please!!!!

The Strike Eagle's daddy!

The Thud, what an awesome aircraft. It had a great record in Vietnam.

Default 561st Tactical Fighter Squadron F105G

Quote Originally Posted by Noha_Fechts View Post
    4. Front panel of an F-105G First in Last Out from the 35 TFW/562 TFS. The photo was taken at George AFB:

The helmet on the seat is a 561st TFS helmet. I was in both squadrons (at different times) there back then. The 561st went down first, leaving the 562nd as the last active duty F-105 squadron. The 561st stood up again a year or so later as the first operational (non-training) F-4G squadron.
    Last edited by lonfas; 06-15-2009 at 09:59 AM. Reason: typo

Default F-105g 638296

F-105G 638296 at Korat RTAFB 28 Oct 1974, the morning of the 17th Wild Weasel Squadron's deployment to George AFB, CA.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...1&d=1245075193

296 today on display at England Air Park, Alexandria, La (formally England AFB).

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...1&d=1245075193
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval
    Last edited by lonfas; 06-15-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo

Yugoslavian AF was so close to get f-105!