Page 72 of 147 FirstFirst ... 2262646566676869707172737475767778798082122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2193

Thread: Random old CAG, GSG-9 and other photos

Heh that's a jolly good find!

Default Info on CAG Pistol Choice

I had a conversation with a operator from Bragg recently. He is tabbed and instructs with CAG operators at Bragg. He said that though the 1911 platform of pistol is still around within the armory at Ft. Bragg, but that most CAG operators are using Glock 19 for concealed carry and Glock 22 operationally. The 22's are fitted with Surefire X200s. However, he also said that there are operators carrying STI double stacks in .40SW. When I asked him why there was the move to the Glock. He stated that the Beretta is just plain insufficient caliber wise and the 1911 style STI are unreliable. The point on the STI doesn't suprise me, however the fact that Glock 22s are being used suprised me. He did point out that once deployed, all sidearms, both CAG and regular Berets have a choice of what they want to carry - Glock, 1911, SIG, Beretta, whatever.

STI 1911 is unreliable? How come?

Quote Originally Posted by Echo300 View Post
    Let me clarify...The gun is not unreliable, but the magazines. In this instance specifically the double stacks. The double stack mags are finicky. I have seen these mags go **** up personally so I know. Matter of fact saw one today at a pistol match fail.

The guy I was speaking with stated that CAG operators didn't want to chance things in a combat situation until they got a chance to wring out the STIs fully. So they went to the G22 interim.

I am just suprised by the caliber choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo300 View Post
    1911s can lock up so tight and be such accurate range guns that they aren't such good combat guns.

Quote Originally Posted by citadelshooter View Post
    I had a conversation with a operator from Bragg recently. He is tabbed and instructs with CAG operators at Bragg. He said that though the 1911 platform of pistol is still around within the armory at Ft. Bragg, but that most CAG operators are using Glock 19 for concealed carry and Glock 22 operationally.
    I find it curious that they'd choose a 9mm for concealed carry and a .40 otherwise.

I think the teams have smiths and artificers to adjust their 1911s and other sidearms. To make them as perfect as possible and fit each operators' requirements.These guys are multitalented.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I find it curious that they'd choose a 9mm for concealed carry and a .40 otherwise.
    Me too. A number of years ago good friend of mine that was in one of the special SF units mentioned that he carried the G19 as his primary handgun. This was before the proliferation of the .40 in LE. Now, most major agencies have switched to the .40 and most .40s are Glocks. If CAG is making the switch to or using the G22 (and they are), it would seem odd to leave 9mm out there, especially if one of the complaints about the 9mm has been its poor performance in FMJ. Personally (and a lot of my buds disagree) I don't think you gain that much concealability between a G17/22 and a G19/23, between the 17/22 and the 26/27 yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Laconian View Post
    ... If CAG is making the switch to or using the G22 (and they are), it would seem odd to leave 9mm out there, especially if one of the complaints about the 9mm has been its poor performance in FMJ.

I'm curious about this statement.

Would the 9mm's performance been better if it was in Hollow Point?

Watching this video, I only thought "OMG!!! The ****ing gallon disintegrated!"

I think you're all f*cked in the head. We're 10 hrs from the f*cking fun park & u want to bail out!

Me too. A number of years ago good friend of mine that was in one of the special SF units mentioned that he carried the G19 as his primary handgun. This was before the proliferation of the .40 in LE. Now, most major agencies have switched to the .40 and most .40s are Glocks. If CAG is making the switch to or using the G22 (and they are), it would seem odd to leave 9mm out there, especially if one of the complaints about the 9mm has been its poor performance in FMJ. Personally (and a lot of my buds disagree) I don't think you gain that much concealability between a G17/22 and a G19/23, between the 17/22 and the 26/27 yes.
    I carried the G19 for 4 years and it was a very concealable and lightweight weapon. It shot well, but the 9mm power left a bit to be desired. It's a slightly smaller frame and I have big hands, so I always felt like it didn't fit me too well. About a year ago, I moved over to the Sig Sauer P229 DAK .40. Great shooting weapon. Good balance and recoil is minimal. My only complaint is the length of the trigger pull after moving from the Glock. The Sig reminds me of shooting a revolver. All in all, I am satisfied I made the switch.

The main reason for leaving the 9mm out there is possible use of suppressors and the international availability of 9mm. To clarify, suppressor use of the .40SW is really not as proven as the 9mm. Glock 9s don't need the use of a booster to fire realiably.

The main reason for leaving the 9mm out there is possible use of suppressors and the international availability of 9mm. To clarify, suppressor use of the .40SW is really not as proven as the 9mm. Glock 9s don't need the use of a booster to fire realiably.
    What's a "booster"?

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

You said they were carrying the 19 for concealability. What is concealable about a 19 sporting a suppressor? What's a booster?

You said they were carrying the 19 for concealability. What is concealable about a 19 sporting a suppressor? What's a booster?
    The 19 itself is extremely concealable, but you are right with a suppressor it isn't.

A booster, or "Nielsen device" is a mechanical device located at the rear of most handgun suppressors. Its purpose is to ensure that semi-auto handguns will properly cycle the next round after firing. Without a booster, most sem-auto's will have difficulty feeding the next round into the chamber. Malfunctions (failure to eject, stove pipe, failure to feed, etc.) occur because the extra weight/mass at the end of the barrel will slow/impede its movement as it travels out of battery. The booster helps overcome the suppressor's added weight on the barrel by using the explosive blast (as the bullet clears the end of the barrel) to help push the barrel backwards, out of battery.

One manufacturer of suppressors - AWC - has figured this out without the use of a booster. Their Abraxas line of is the cats ass! It has been issued to operators within the special operations community with great success. Here is a description and pic from their website.

[FONT=Arial]"The ABRAXAS [SIZE=-2](tm)[/SIZE] family of suppressors would appear to be the most successful military issued 9MM pistol suppressor ever. The AWC TITANIUM ABRAXAS was built under contract for the U.S. Army for use on the Glock 26 and Glock 19. The Stainless steel version was contracted by the U.S. Air Force for issue to it's Special Warfare operators. The early Warp 6 variant was specified for use with the U.S. Navy. The AWC TITANIUM ABRAXAS is now available for the entire user community. There is a significant reduction in weight compared to the stainless steel version of the ABRAXAS."[/FONT]

"The TITANIUM ABRAXAS is highly compatible with the Beretta or Taurus 9MM pistols and the family of Glock 9MM pistols. The Recoil Regulator is not required with these weapons for them to function reliably in semi-auto mode. Other 9MM pistols may require the Recoil Regulator for reliable semi- auto function. Contact us for details on other types of pistols. In years past Stainless Steel has been our material of choice; however, in response to end users need for reduced weight we offer TITANIUM ABRAXAS. Even though Titanium is expensive to purchase and machine, we will not increase our profit at the expense of longevity by using Aluminum for this product, but will absorb the production cost increase and offer TITANIUM ABRAXAS at the same price as our stainless steel units."

Here is the pic:

Quote Originally Posted by ende View Post
    I believe this patch may be it: combined joined special operations task force.
    Yes, that is the custom patch we had for our task force, but I think the operator in the pic has a different one (wish we had a larger pic of the operators).

Here is an intervieuw with a CAG veteran about Tora Bora.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4494937.shtml