Thread: The Health/Fitness thread!

Enjoying a maple-flavored breakfast sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    I'd walk into a shop and see what they could do...500 limits your options on a good bike.
    That's truth. Bikes have gotten so expensive. I just sunk $3K in a 29er mountain bike and its nice but not that nice. You want nice wheels, its spensive.

hank

Having an Identity Crisis Hawkeye4077's Avatar
    Where the beer flows like wine, where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capostrano

After seeing that I'm glad I don't participate in the World Series of Exercising (Crossfit Games to the lay person). I just don't see the fun in basically being labeled "the best at exercising." 12.1 was basically Villain Challenge 1 from StrengthVillain.

Side note: hank, if I knew you'd been posting again I'd spend more time here.

Back at you Hawkeye4077! How you been, my man?

12.1 was awesomizing and 12.2 will be a blast. I just hope I can get 60 reps. That will be a huge victory for me.

Are you CrossFitting?

hank

Having an Identity Crisis Hawkeye4077's Avatar
    Where the beer flows like wine, where the women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capostrano

I did up until I finished school and moved back home. The nearest affiliate to me is a 40 minute drive both ways (on a good day) and the same affiliate was half that far from school. So now I'm just training at home, specifically on the "strength" portion of "strength & conditioning". It's just easier right now with the limited space/equipment I have.

I might do an 8 week CF cycle (out of convenience) at my affiliate here coming up because I'll be lucky enough to get to work in the same city for that amount of time

Wow... 12.2 looks hard.
    Not a strength for many people, myself included.

Never thought i feel that way looking at that much snatch...

I got the 30x75lbs (35kg) no dramas.
    But my 1rm so far is 52kg (114lbs) for squat snatch, and a 55kg (121lbs) for a split snatch.
    It has been a while since going for some big weights, been doing alot of lighter high snatch pulls into squats to work on proper triple extension and proper foot work for a soild 'catch' at the bottom.

Gotta sack up for this one, stop *****ing and get strong. Although at least with 10mins there will enough time for a proper setup and recovery for the bigger lifts.

Good luck guys...

Ill do all the running and plyo stuff for the open if Klokov does my lifting....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwYbi...ature=youtu.be

Watch the demo video. Froning got 8 reps at 210 and Bailey for 5. I am totally serious there won't be 500 guys worldwide that get reps at 210.

I can snatch 135 so i'll get some reps there. But even if I get all 30 I can't snatch 165. My current 1RM is 145 so I'm done at 30.

I'll do tall muscles at 75 and get all 30 like that. Then I'll have to power and/or squat some at 135 for sure if I want to finish all 30. I'd say there is a 40-50% chance I finish 30.

Wow, they didn't wait long to separate wheat from chaff, did they? its over for all pretenders starting tomorrow. All the little guys that killed 12.1 are finite mañana.

hank

I'll stay away from the cross fits...but I'm going to get into 5ks and you know that big comp the army has...well maybe on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldat_Américain View Post
    I'll stay away from the cross fits...but I'm going to get into 5ks and you know that big comp the army has...well maybe on that one.
    You da man.

Us mere mortals need the crossfits but you got your own special brand of strength and conditioning. But if you tried it, you'd kill it as strong as you are. These days you need to be able to squat heavy and go overhead heavy to do well at CF. You got both of those.

I woke up in the middle of the night last night thinking about snatch.

hank

Holy cow, the fairly elite CrossFitter at my gym just got 94 reps.

30 @ 45
    30 @ 75
    30 @ 100
    4 @ 120

Failed on the 95th rep as time expired. I counted them all.

hank

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    Holy shytballs. Open WOD 12.2 as follows:

Proceed through the sequence below completing as many reps as possible in 10 minutes of:

30 Snatch (M 75 / F 45 lbs)
    30 Snatch (M 135 / F 75 lbs)
    30 Snatch (M 165 / F 100 lbs)
    Max Rep Snatch (M 210 / F 120 lbs)

I won't get very many reps at 165 that's for sure. This will suck.

hank
    This workout right here represents what's wrong with crossfit as a workout program (as a sport I have no problem with it). There is no reason anyone should do 90 reps of olympic movements in a fatigued state.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424 View Post
    This workout right here represents what's wrong with crossfit as a workout program (as a sport I have no problem with it). There is no reason anyone should do 90 reps of olympic movements in a fatigued state.
    This WOD is not part of the workout program. Nobody would ever make this WOD part of training. Its part of the Open competition.

And I totally see your point. Taken to its extreme, CrossFit is crazy. And I say that as a dedicated CrossFitter for more than a year.

hank

The problem in a set-up like the Open is that they have to make it hard enough to differentiate the world class guys like Froning and Bailey. But for average Joe's like me it can be dangerous.

My third weight in this WOD is 165 but my 1RM is 145. So, I'm not going to even attempt a rep at 165 even if I get through the 60 reps leading to it. That's why they do it. To the extent I was in the "competition" I would be effectively eliminated today. The reality is I'm doing it for fun but that's the reason they put a WOD in like this.

hank

Last year's overall champ got 8 reps at the max men's weight, 210.

Last year's open champ got 5 and didn't look very good doing it.

Point being, they made this WOD so hard that even the very best can't do it. Gotta believe that was purposeful.

hank

Quote Originally Posted by hank View Post
    The problem in a set-up like the Open is that they have to make it hard enough to differentiate the world class guys like Froning and Bailey. But for average Joe's like me it can be dangerous.

My third weight in this WOD is 165 but my 1RM is 145. So, I'm not going to even attempt a rep at 165 even if I get through the 60 reps leading to it. That's why they do it. To the extent I was in the "competition" I would be effectively eliminated today. The reality is I'm doing it for fun but that's the reason they put a WOD in like this.

hank
    Thank you for clarifying that. Like I said as a sport I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Playing football, rugby or basketball is no more dangerous IMO. However I've been to affiliates that simply post the website's WOD on their whiteboard which end up being 21-15-9 power cleans or some other very technical olympic lift variation for the regular members to do. They end up doing a very technical lift in a very fatigued state which massively increases the risk of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti2424 View Post
    Thank you for clarifying that. Like I said as a sport I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Playing football, rugby or basketball is no more dangerous IMO. However I've been to affiliates that simply post the website's WOD on their whiteboard which end up being 21-15-9 power cleans or some other very technical olympic lift variation for the regular members to do. They end up doing a very technical lift in a very fatigued state which massively increases the risk of injury.
    Quality control of affiliate programming is a huge problem for CF right now. I see the same thing you mention and most folks don't need to do that under any circumstances. I'm really lucky that my gym has a guy who is an awesome programmer and who is good at challenging those that want to improve but scales it down for those that just want to "work out."

There has been such an explosion of affiliates and the HQ folks don't really have any control over what happens in an affiliate gym. Seeing your lifting regimens though, I'd say you 1) would like it if you had a good programmer and 2) you'd be really good at it.

hank