Page 25 of 248 FirstFirst ... 1517181920212223242526272829303132333575125 ... LastLast

Thread: The Health/Fitness thread!

good example of a good cardio workout:
    WEEK 1
    Tues:30 mins run at 60-70% effort
    Wed:45 mins run at 40-50% effort
    Fri:60-90 mins run at 10-20% effort(endurance builder!!)

Week 2
    Tues:60-90 mins run at 10-20% effort
    Thurs:Interval Workout(i sprint 100m's,then jog 100m's,then sprint 100m's,then jog 100m's etc.by the end you should have done 8 sprints and 8 jogs......tough work!!)

Irish Rugby team all the way....soon to be rugby world cup champions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dling View Post
    Rugby is going to feel so worth it after not playin football for so long: continuous hitting without gear to impeded with my movements. Gonna keep up with my squats and do those excercises that you suggested
    Check out my post a couple pages back, its my teams work out, If your goin to play rugby I would think that you would want to bulk up a lot, then get your endurance down.

this is gonna seem really damn random but....i wonder what sort of workout Doyle from the misfits has??

"It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ERU/ARW View Post

Irish Rugby team all the way....soon to be rugby world cup champions!!
    ...probably not, but good luck.

We do PT in the mornings, MWF are run days, TTh are muscle strength and endurance days.

In the afternoon
    15-20 Min elliptical followed by:

M- Chest, T- Arms, W- Back, Th-Shoulders, F-Legs

followed by abs, and then another 15-20 min on the elliptical

One week is low weight high rep, the next week is higher weight lower reps, then a week of supersets. Emphasis is on compound muscle movements that require balance, and work the core. I try to avoid isolation exercises except for burnout sets at the end.

I also train mma on Tues/Thur but its with a buddy of mine, so its pretty informal and free.

I'm trying to shred down without losing too muc strength, I'm thinking about trying some circuit training or coming up with something new, I like the crossfit principles...

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    ...probably not, but good luck.

We do PT in the mornings, MWF are run days, TTh are muscle strength and endurance days.

In the afternoon
    15-20 Min elliptical followed by:

M- Chest, T- Arms, W- Back, Th-Shoulders, F-Legs

followed by abs, and then another 15-20 min on the elliptical

One week is low weight high rep, the next week is higher weight lower reps, then a week of supersets. Emphasis is on compound muscle movements that require balance, and work the core. I try to avoid isolation exercises except for burnout sets at the end.

I also train mma on Tues/Thur but its with a buddy of mine, so its pretty informal and free.
    What do you do for the mma training?

Trucker From The Sky

i honestly hate gyms but they have the best elliptical machines, i want to buy one but they are a bit out of my price range

If you are looking to do exercises without weights...and you have a training partner...a good one for abs is this:

One person stands up while the other one lays with their back on the ground. The standing person squats down and locks the other persons legs in around the waist. Standing back up the person laying down should be resting on his shoulders, with his legs locked and held by the person standing. Then you can do decline sit ups from this position. The benefit is that it works your abs as a whole, as while as your hip flexors and quads. The cons, the person holding you has to be pretty strong and well balanced to hold you up while you are doing the sit ups.

Push ups, putting your feet on anything and doing push ups always works well. Also doing dips with your feet resting on something and your arms tucked into your sides and lowering yourself and then pushing back up.

If you are going to lift weights, alternate body parts that you work. Back and bi's one day, and chest and tri's the other day. Thats generally the best combo.

To gain mass significantly, the general rule is that you should take in one gram of protein per pound you way every day.

Its a similar principle as getting fat. The higher carb intake and lower carb burn rate, the fatter you get. Only the higher protein intake plus a steady workout plan builds muscle fast.

If you want to slim down drink lots of water first. Most people confuse thirst pains with hunger pains. Also, hydration is majorly important in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by AFO88 View Post

To gain mass significantly, the general rule is that you should take in one gram of protein per pound you way every day.
    This is good advice, people generally forget that the most important part in gaining muscle is nutrition, you need lots of protein and lots of water like you said. Drinking lots of water when lifting is also real important, especially if you are taking creatine. When those football players died, they were extremely de-hydrated because they took creatine before a football practice in the heat and were not drinking any water.

I garan-damn-tee you that the dehydration and heat had a LOT more to do with their deaths than the creatine did.

I don't use it, but I can't stand artificial hysteria like that. It ends up getting things banned that amount to little more than a ban on personal freedoms.

Quote Originally Posted by scrybe View Post
    I garan-damn-tee you that the dehydration and heat had a LOT more to do with their deaths than the creatine did.

I don't use it, but I can't stand artificial hysteria like that. It ends up getting things banned that amount to little more than a ban on personal freedoms.
    I agree with you, creatine is perfectly safe, its not supposed to be used in the manor that they were using it, its for lifting not for doing sprints in the heat. With an 8 ounce glass of water mixed with creatine your supposed to drink another 8 ounce glass right after plus more when your actually lifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    ...probably not, but good luck. I'm trying to shred down without losing too muc strength, I'm thinking about trying some circuit training or coming up with something new, I like the crossfit principles...
    circuit training is fun! run, crunches, sit-ups, run, etc...

Anyone using the Nike+ ipod thing when running? Thinking of getting it as I got a nano for my birthday.

links
    [SIZE=-1]http://www.nike.com/nikeplus[/SIZE]
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
    http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=1885

This is how we train (Belgian army combat unit)

Monday: Running, about 50mins at a VERY decent pace.
    Tuesday: Soccer, or volleyball, or american football (great fun!)
    Wednesday: Swimming, sometimes durability, meaning 1km is your goal...in a 25m pool!
    Thursday: Free sports, most of the time powertraining in the gym
    Friday: Battalion Cross, 5km, you got to do that in 30 mins, I do it in 25 and a bit.
    Weekend: Lose all the benifit gained, in one giant piss-up!

Monday: Start again...

Quote Originally Posted by kaz***** View Post
    Anyone using the Nike+ ipod thing when running? Thinking of getting it as I got a nano for my birthday.

links
    [SIZE=-1]http://www.nike.com/nikeplus[/SIZE]
    http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/
    http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/Details.cfm?ProdID=1885
    i have an ipod nano,but be warned!!you need(ABSOLUTELY NEED!)these 2 items with it:
    1.an arm band(as pictured on the girl in your second link)
    2.wrap around earphones: http://www.headphoneworld.com/produc...ame=headphones

the normal earphones fall out when i run and the wrap arounds dont do much better(better for running).i wear a hat over my ears(w/ earphones on)<<<this works really well and will be no problem during winter....summer though..well i live in ireland so ive nothing to worry about

Trucker From The Sky

yesterday we did a 3 mile run in full uniform(acu's, boots, soft cap, and road guard vest)......that hurt pretty bad left me with shin splints.

this morning my platoon sergeant canceled squad pt, made it platoon pt and took us on another 2.5 mile run....my legs and ankles are killing me right now. remember to stretch after you finish otherwise you are just hurting yourself, also remember to get new running shoes about every 3-6 months trust me it will save you alot of pain and tylenol.