Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Swiss Guard

Default Swiss Guard

Saludos

Cool! Longest running mercenary contract as far as I know!

StgW 90 hell yeah! :

Spanish Marine Corps Property MARINO's Avatar
    Reino de España(Spanish Kingdom), Madrid & ENM

Nice pics

Yes great pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshima
    talking about live employment !

I wonder if those guys realise how stupid they look...

Quote Originally Posted by RP
    Well the Pope thinks they look cool...

You don't do this kind'a job for the looks... If you join these, you have to believe as much in catholisism as you have to believe in patriotism when you join the USMC or some familiar unit.

These guys are part of the oldest troop in the world, since 1506!!!
    They all went trough military service in Switzerland.
    I really don’t see what they should be ashamed of!!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer laid
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroshima
    talking about live employment !
    Everyone's talkin about how cool PMC's are these days. You see comments like this on the forum all the time "My friend is a mail-room clerk at DynaCorp, he's gonna get me shipped to Iraq cuz Im so highspeed and so forth..."

No diss to Argyll and other PMC-guys here, but these fellas are the shiznit. Blackwater aint got nothing on these dudes.

Your mom said that too while the entire defensive line of the Colts tried to get her knickers off and in the end opted for "the jaws of life" as the only option.

The Swiss Guard was founded in 1505 by Pope Julius II as a stable and disciplined corps of regular Swiss soldiers depending directly on the Holy See, for the guarding of the person of the Roman Pontiff and the Apostolic Palaces. January 21, 1506, is considered the official founding when 150 Swiss soldiers arrived in Rome and received the solemn blessing of Pope Julius II upon their arrival in St. Peter's Square.

In the early years, the corps was disbanded several times, and the guards had to retire, especially during the imprisonment or exile of the Popes.

During the Sack of Rome on May 6, 1527, when heroically fighting against the troops of Holy Roman Emperor Charles V, 147 Swiss Guards died alongside then-commander Kaspar Roist, while 42 were saved with Clement Vll (Giulio de' Medici) in Castle San Angelo.

On May 6 of each year, in commemoration of this historical date, the newly recruited members of the Swiss Guard are sworn in the San Damasco Courtyard in the Vatican, in four different languages - German, French, Italian and Ladino - according to their canton of origin. As they take their oath promising fidelity to the Pope and the Church, the soldiers raise three fingers of their right hand, symbolizing the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, while placing their left hand on the flag of the Swiss Guard Corps. This banner is formed by three shields representing the current Pope, the founder of the Swiss Guard, Julius II, and the commander.

The Swiss Guard, the world's smallest and perhaps most colorful army, has been the chief protectors of the pontiff. Clad in Renaissance helmets and blue, red and yellow tunics (the colors of the Medici family) that are said to have been designed by Michelangelo. For routine work, the guards wear blue uniforms and berets.

The Swiss Guard currently consists of a total of 100 men: 4 officials, 1 chaplain, 23 noncommissioned officers, 70 halbardiers, and 2 drummers. The halbard is the traditional weapon carried by Swiss Guards. The members of the Swiss Guard reside in a barrack in Vatican City. They serve for two years, with the possibility of extending the period to a maximum of 25 years. During this period they receive training in self-defence, attend shooting practice, take course in Italian and study the organizational structure of the Vatican. At the end of the first year they must take a very thorough exam.

Guard recruits must be Roman Catholic men of Swiss nationality who are single, under 30 years old and stand at least 5-feet, 8-inches tall. Guards need to have completed their initial military training in the Swiss Armed Forces, and obtained a certificate of good conduct from an ecclesiastical and a civil authority.

The Swiss Guard is all that is left of a pontifical military corps that medieval popes once fielded to exert temporal power on a part of the Italian peninsula - power that is now restricted to the 108 acres of Vatican City.

What are their ROE?

EvanL

What do you think the most hardcore fighters ever wore? Kilts!
    Looks have nothing to do with fighting skills.