Not until Tom Bostic came up with the final page of my conversion with the Gen3 block.
Here is what happened.
I had a friend that is an Aerospace machinist. He under took the project as I stood by watch and explaining what is to be done.
first we cut the receiver further to accommodate the new Gen3 block.
Once the receiver was cut, my machinist decided to make a new brace since he feel the brace provided was not as exact as he would like. from mk2 eyeballs, the brace provided by Tom was right on and fit very well, but since my machinist want to make a new brace, I can't say no. the new brace was made with Stainless steel and machined to fit exactly with the cut receiver and the block.
The newly made brace is mounted to the block
Tom's laser cut brace
Also a side plate for the magazine opening and the notch to be bonded to the brass deflector in order for the stock to lock in in the folded position.
Tom recommend that two set screws are used on each side of the receiver rail interface to the block, I forgo the set screws and will in turn use plastic Weld by Devcon in the near future to bond everything together.
As you can see, everything came together quit well and with very tight tolerance.
The top of the carrier has a stud, I had to remove it in order for the carrier to fit in the newly formed receiver.
The brace blocked the carrier with the stud guide, so it was necessary to remove it. just a couple of minutes with a dremel
With all the bolts cinched tight with some blue loc-tite. notice the crack down the center of the screw hole on the last two screw on the block, that is what happened went you try to lock the allen screws in too tight. my machinist warned me, but when I took it down to take pictures and put it back together, I forgot and crack the top of the block. I will use the plastic weld by Devcon in the few weeks to bond the cracks together. sigh....
Somce slight surface difference. but nothing youcan't solved with some plasti weld
I bought a factory HK G36 buffer assembly instead of using the very well made Bostic block assembly. the price was great at 35.00 from a HKPro board member through GunBroker.
The crack produced by my tightening the screws too tight is also held together a bit by the KAC rail. the crack I will use the plastic weld to bond can clean up at a later date.
I have shot exact 90 rds this afternoon with out any adverse effect, but that is before I produced the crack by my own mistake. I will do a lot of shooting next weekend to find out exactly how durable this conversion is. from what was shot today, I have no doubt that the Tom Bostic Gen3 conversion is the best SL8 conversion available if you want the exact duplicate of a G36. Others such as Special Weapon which I took thate route left me undesired and still looking for more. Big thanks to Tom for making the steps to do the conversion so someone like me can finallyi say that my SL8 is now a G36.