Thread: ADF Gap year? How will it work?

Question ADF Gap year? How will it work?

G'day all, just a quick question regarding the new ADF Gap Year Scheme.

I currently have a transfer in, however have been told that there are no vacancies at my particular trade training school until at least Aug '08. Now with the Gap Year scheme coming into practice soon, how will it work if many positions (I know it's a familiar story at many IET schools) are full for close to a year? Will Intra-Army Corps transfers such as mine be put on hold to ensure 'Gap Year' participants can get fully qual'd within that year or are more positions going to be created for this group as waiting for spots to open is not an option, if this is a true 'Gap Year' alternative?

Just wanted to know because the transfer process is long enough without potentially having to wait so 'Gap Yearers' can get pushed through.

Cheers Fellas!

Hopefully someone can answer your question, though I get the feeling it's a little too early to be asking about gap-year complex details.

There's not much I've seen online. A snippet from defencejobs:

The Military Gap Year Scheme is a new initiative that will provide young Australians aged 17-24 years, who have completed year 12 (or equivalent) within the previous two years, an opportunity to experience military training and lifestyle for up to 12 months. Details are expected to be finalised by mid-2007 with the Scheme scheduled to commence in late 2007/ early 2008.

The experience provides an alternative option for those who seek to experience life in the Army, Navy or Air Force. Participants will be employed in core training or experiential employment categories and participate in a range of Defence related activities. It is not intended that gap year members will be deployed on military operations due to the length of time required for pre-deployment training and the extended duration of deployment.
    And the Gap Year launch, minor details from defence.gov.au:

http://www.defence.gov.au/media/down...0809/index.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bruiserau View Post
    G'day all, just a quick question regarding the new ADF Gap Year Scheme.... Just wanted to know because the transfer process is long enough without potentially having to wait so 'Gap Yearers' can get pushed through.
    Cheers Fellas!
    I certainly hope not, I have tried 5 times to transfer into the reg Infantry. my transfers, along with about 20 other lads who have previously tried to transfer, had been binned by someone higher up in the Battalion, still im being persistant, but if an 18 yr old straight out of school delays me any further i think it'll be time to put in my D..
    i dont know how they plan to use these Gappies. considering it takes 80 days to run through Kapooka, if they went Infantry, i dunno how long it is these days, but im sure its around a coupla months at Singleton still. thats half their year gone in training (im sure the other trade schools are this long or longer), what next?? Deployment??
    how else does the army get back the time and effort it puts in to training these Gappies??
    Are the powers that be crossing their fingers hoping these people all come across...?
    if they had to do a year in the Reg's and 1 or 2 in the Chocks- kinda like the Ready Reserve, i could see it working. or if they pay the gappies bugger all, like they do in Finland with the National Servicemen and women.. i assume the other countries in europe that have National service pay at a similar rate..
    i see this as being bloody expensive, but there is so little info about it that who knows what they have really planned. we can only take a punt at what is in store.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE THOR View Post
    I certainly hope not, I have tried 5 times to transfer into the reg Infantry. my transfers, along with about 20 other lads who have previously tried to transfer, had been binned by someone higher up in the Battalion, still im being persistant, but if an 18 yr old straight out of school delays me any further i think it'll be time to put in my D..
    I know what you mean mate, they probably wouldn't need the Gap Year Scheme if they sped up the transfer process.. I know a hell of a lot of chocs who discharge because their ARA transfers take up to 6 months, even when they are staying in the same Corps.