Page 141 of 162 FirstFirst ... 4191131133134135136137138139140141142143144145146147148149151 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,115 of 2428

Thread: Finnish Army Photos

Documentary about Santahamina in 1981

Quote Originally Posted by PEMM View Post
    How do they do it elsewhere actually?

Here you can see that they practice it first with blanks or without blanks (first few seconds) and then do it with live rounds.
    Is more about the dynamics of the excercise. While doing it with blanks, is all the same, but whenever you switch to real ammo, the safety standards applied nowadays, will make the exercise unrealistic.

Parts of the film on better quality

Suspended for infractions

Do the Finnish army still tuck their pant leg into boot or how do we do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Harbard View Post
    Do the Finnish army still tuck their pant leg into boot or how do we do it?
    Rubber band in trouser leg will keep it thight over boot.

Hey there, I'm going to Santahamina in 4 days and was curious if there is anything I should be aware of before going?

What should I bring? I'm taking some warm long underwear and extra socks and all that stuff that's been recommended but anything lesser known item which will be nice to bring?

Also I don't speak a word of Finnish but I'm very interested in the Sotilaspoliisi, know of any dual citizen like me who got it? I hear we are quite common around so I figured it won't be too much of a trouble?

Cheers.

When you first go there you don't really need else than a shaving set, shampoo, toothpaste and brush and money (coins). Don't take things like knife first time you get there, they might confiscate it.

Then when you are about to camping you are going to need need a proper knife, good flashlight and plenty of tuna.

Other than that, I cant really think of anything you would need, they will take care of you. Cut your hair really short before you get there, I asked the barber to cut it so it would fit the requirements but it was still too long and I had to cut it with the machine they had in the barracks.

Oh nice, thanks for the quick reply!

Would 2mm be short enough? I've buzzed most of it off (3 years worth of my pretty hair ) and I usually keep it at around 2mm short. Any shorter and I'd be bald.

But also a quick question about weekend leaves, how frequent are they? Also is one forced to leave the garrison area if the squad is assigned a leave? I don't have a permanent place to stay outside the base so I might end up staying at the garrison if that's allowed sometimes.

I've read some about English speakers receiving English manuals for driving jobs and whatnot, is that for every job too? How common is it they assign you to something you didn't request at the end of basic training?

The amount of weekend leaves somewhat depends on what company you're in. Atleast it was like that when i was in Santahamina.

Quote Originally Posted by IcelandicFinn View Post
    Would 2mm be short enough? I've buzzed most of it off (3 years worth of my pretty hair ) and I usually keep it at around 2mm short. Any shorter and I'd be bald.

But also a quick question about weekend leaves, how frequent are they? Also is one forced to leave the garrison area if the squad is assigned a leave? I don't have a permanent place to stay outside the base so I might end up staying at the garrison if that's allowed sometimes.

I've read some about English speakers receiving English manuals for driving jobs and whatnot, is that for every job too? How common is it they assign you to something you didn't request at the end of basic training?
    Yeah, that should be fine. I don't know how they deal with foreigners, but when one of our long distance guys asked about the officer in charge of those things he laughed and said "just go out drinking.". After some time you don't really want to stay in barracks on your free time. But I would think they have some sort of solution for you. If you had rented an apartment beforehand the army would have paid your rent.

Can't really say how common it is, but I ended up on job I did not request and actually they also sent one of the best scoring recruits to branch he didn't request. For nco-school they prefer to get volunteers, but they do try to get somewhat equal recruits to all training branches. As for driving jobs, they try to select people who already have C-class drivers license.

Already sent you a PM but thought maybe others would like to see too.

You can stay on the weekends however if you’re a bit social you will probably get invited to crash on someone’s couch or you can try to find a woman outside of the barracks when you eventually are allowed on evening leave then you can go there on the weekend too. You really don’t need to bring anything special you will be given everything / some money for candy etc. Regarding the hair don’t worry you will cut it the first night so don’t pay a barber. Obviously if you look like a hippie when you arrive you will be treated as a hippy. Your placement after basics is up to how you perform. If you’re really good you will get to choose anything among the 12 month service jobs. If you’re bad/worthless in the military profession or alternately don’t want to serve 12 months and behave thereafter you have minimal say and you will be allocated something among the 6 month service jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    If you’re really good you will get to choose anything among the 12 month service jobs. If you’re bad/worthless in the military profession or alternately don’t want to serve 12 months and behave thereafter you have minimal say and you will be allocated something among the 6 month service jobs.
    Not entirely true as it would mean that the popular branches would get the best material and those less popular would get the leftovers. At least this was the case in my company as everyone was trained as nco.

Okay thanks guys for the answers! Really appreciated!

Only 4 days left to go

Quote Originally Posted by IcelandicFinn View Post
    Hey there, I'm going to Santahamina in 4 days and was curious if there is anything I should be aware of before going?

What should I bring? I'm taking some warm long underwear and extra socks and all that stuff that's been recommended but anything lesser known item which will be nice to bring?

Also I don't speak a word of Finnish but I'm very interested in the Sotilaspoliisi, know of any dual citizen like me who got it? I hear we are quite common around so I figured it won't be too much of a trouble?

Cheers.
    Most important thing is your attitude, everything else you get from army. Remember to have right kind of humour and do not take things too serious. Do your things properly and other times relax and sleep. Simple as that.