Page 2 of 163 FirstFirst 123456789101252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Finnish Army Photos

very nice pics
    as always it's a good thread about a army

do you have more pics of the finnish leopard2a4 , i had heard these tank wears a new turret
    it's true ???

thanks by advance !

Quote Originally Posted by Hecatonchiros View Post
    Nope, not enough of them to go around. Different versions of the RK-62 are still more common AFAIK.
    Yeah, I think we have something like 300 000+ RK 62's, some other older variants (maybe 10-50k total?) and some 10-20 000 RK 95's. It must also be noted that RK 95 is currently in a pretty wide spread use and is no longer manufactured, so they are wearing out fast. There has been some pics with RK 62's updated with parts from worn 95's. So unless we change the whole weapon system first, model 95 might phase out and be replaced with those updated 62's most of which might be brand new (since they have been stockpiled and seen little use). But I think this will take decade(s).

But yeah, very nice pics. I like especially that squad pic with all the gear on. Too bad I don't have anything like that from my days.

Hehe, nice pics indeed. I promise to take pics and post 'em here when its my turn to go in after christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by KjääkAhopelto View Post

I hate the Finnish winter.
    Oh come on... you had it easy. I served in the freaking freezing Artic Circle... Hot food and coffey froze solid in seconds... it was so cold that everyone got horrible frostbites, average temperature was -40[SIZE=-1]°C[/SIZE]
    ...and the winter season was even worse

Yeah but you've got all that Lap-dancing to keep you warm.

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Yeah, I'm aware the Helsinki winter is pretty ***** compared to Lapland...
    Lapps must have some real sisu.

Yes, I was in 1. Kaupunkijääkärikomppania, Kaartin Jääkärirykmentti. I started in January, and we recieved a big batch of the new M05 equipment in early May. We did get the new digital M05 uniform, but we only wore it on leave, and the M91 stayed our service uniform.

Of course, we also still had our old M62s for when we were going to be doing something really messy.

The best part of the 05 equipment was the vest that replaced our M85 combat belt. That old thing was terrible. Killed the shoulders.

Old belt:

New vest:

We also had to always wear the M05 bullet vest, which had two 6 kg ceramic plates in it, all the time, under our tacvest. It was pretty godawful, I guess we're the only regiment in the Finnish army to have them.

Quote Originally Posted by djiti View Post
    very nice pics
    as always it's a good thread about a army

do you have more pics of the finnish leopard2a4 , i had heard these tank wears a new turret
    it's true ???

thanks by advance !
    I don't know about the turret. They didn't tell us too much about it. Just made us climb under it while it revved the engine and ride it around a really bumpy track as it went real fast.

Lets see what I can find here...
    Hah, most of these were taken by the other Canadian guy in my platoon.

MG-3.

Practising shooting tanks with the Saab KASI 2-way laser system. Calculates ballistics and distance and everything. Seemed pretty space age, compared to our old TASI systems.

Banned user

I hate the Finnish winter.

I don´t like it either. What i hate most about it is the polar night.

Of course, we also still had our old M62s for when we were going to be doing something really messy.

Can't beat the classics.

It takes gourage to serve in different culture.
    From which different countries were the soldiers and what motivated em to go and serve in Finland?

Adventure, obligation or prestige?

It's because of obligation. Living abroad doesn't save you from serving in the army as long as you have finnish nationality.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
    It takes gourage to serve in different culture.
    From which different countries were the soldiers and what motivated em to go and serve in Finland?

Adventure, obligation or prestige?
    Meh... I think Canadian culture is very similar to culture of Northern Europe and Great Britain in general, atleast when I visited Canada to see relatives living there.

Also M62 FTW!

It's because of obligation. Living abroad doesn't save you from serving in the army as long as you have finnish nationality.
    Actually, I have dual citizenship and I didn't have to go. My older brother decided not to go, he's never been interested in that sort of thing.

There were quite a few people from abroad in our company, about 15 to begin with, but more than half of them left. On about day 4, a guy from South Africa quit on us. Two people from Portugal went back home after a couple of weeks. One (French) Canadian quit a month in. I guess it was tougher than they expected.

The mortar company had a guy from New Zealand, and a guy from Paraguay. Anti tank had an American. We had 2 Canadians (including myself) and 2 Brits left in the end. A lot of people (such as our 2 Somalain 'Mohammud's) and our squad's Turkish machine gunner, had come from abroad a long time ago and lived in Finland for years. I think living in Finland makes serving an obligation.

Me, I went because, I had just finished high school, and, frankly, didn't have anything better to do. I didn't know what I wanted to study yet, so I figured I'd go to Finland and do my military service. They paid for the flight, I got to see my homeland, and get free food for half a year. Adventure? Yeah. Influenced me. Obligation? Not officially. But, if Putin goes crazy I don't want to sit on my ass and do nothing while Finland holds back Ivan without me.