Page 6 of 163 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141656106 ... LastLast

Thread: Finnish Army Photos

^ Are all of these your personal pics ? Nice pics, welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jii View Post
    ^ Are all of these your personal pics ? Nice pics, welcome.
    Yep. I try to find more from digital space...

Very interesting photos Esko. Thanks for posting them.

How does getting picked as a sniper work?

Did you just perform well at the range so they picked you?

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    How does getting picked as a sniper work?

Did you just perform well at the range so they picked you?
    It's not quite that simple, other factors are also considered such as intelligence, results of the psycological tests, physical fitness etc. So shooting skills are only one part, if you are dumb, mentally unstable or you have below average physical fitness shooting skills won't get you far. I know one sniper, he is a very top guy in all ways but he didn't want to go to NCO or reserve officer school because extra 6 months would have ruined his studies at the university so the instructors made him a sniper instead.

Ah I see, cheers for the info.

Do you think that someone who doesn't have a great deal of shooting experience but easily satisfies the other requirements would have a chance at getting selected?
    Last edited by pirate; 10-31-2007 at 09:45 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by pirate View Post
    Ah I see, cheers for the info.

Do you think that someone who doesn't have a great deal of shooting experience but easily satisfies the other requirements would have a chance at getting selected?
    Absolutely. Shooting ability is only one of the criteria. Of the three snipers in our company, I don't think any one of them had previous shooting experience, they were just generally pretty capable guys. People without shooting experience can regularly get good scores in FDF shooting tests. In our company, which consisted of volunteers, the majority got the "excellent" result in the standard shooting test.

@Esko: Very nice pics! Would be nice to see them in higher resolution though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl.K View Post
    People without shooting experience can regularly get good scores in FDF shooting tests. In our company, which consisted of volunteers, the majority got the "excellent" result in the standard shooting test.
    Yeah, I guess it's just a matter of training. I was visiting my brothers infantry unit and was pretty amazed when I saw their shooting results. There were something like two or three good results, the rest were excellent. I served myself in artillery and we didn't get to shoot that much with anything smaller than 105mm so results in our unit were pretty mixed and there were only few excellent results.

Well, in our unit the CO insisted that everone gets excellent. We kept on going to the range to shoot the test week after week. Everyone was soon fed up with it, and we had two guys who wouldn't get the first grade on their own no matter what.

So it happened that when we went to shoot the test once again there were only two guys who got excellent score. Better one of them got more than 30 hits with twelve shots, and the worse one got more than twenty. Interestingly enough most of the really good shots in the company got missed shots in their results.

Well, we got a bit of shouting for that but that's the story how everyone in our company got the golden badge. I guess the CO was happy in the end, as he got what he wanted, even though not in the way he wanted to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    So it happened that when we went to shoot the test once again there were only two guys who got excellent score. Better one of them got more than 30 hits with twelve shots, and the worse one got more than twenty. Interestingly enough most of the really good shots in the company got missed shots in their results.

Well, we got a bit of shouting for that but that's the story how everyone in our company got the golden badge. I guess the CO was happy in the end, as he got what he wanted, even though not in the way he wanted to have it.
    In NCO school, one platoons' conscript instructors were disciplined because they had ordered their students to shoot a few shots into their (the instructor's) targets when their platoon had a shooting test, so the instructors could get an extra leave. It was found out and dealt with. Good thing, one of the officer candidates who was punished was a serious *******.

Well, our thing was spontaneus - nobody gave orders. And actually half of the company would have needed to be punished. Myself included.

7.62 RK 95

Last edited by Esko Mörkö; 11-02-2007 at 05:11 AM.

This is the closest to a FDF megathread, I guess, so here are some pics from a recent Finnish Navy exercise, Janette 07.

Total participants: About 1800 Finnish Navy troops, including reservists, conscripts and FDF staff. In addition, there are units from the border guard, police etc.

More pics, and high res versions (click the link under each picture) available here.

The Engineer Company writer is writing an air surveillance report according to what he hears from the air surveillance radio. This guy is actually my good friend from high school. Funny how I see people I know regularly in official FDF pics, small country...

An artillery forward observer taking a break.

Mine ship Hämeenmaa.

Navy officer.

Helicopter battalion MD-500.

Conscripts operating a PSTOhj 2000 (EuroSpike).

Coastal Jäger "Jurmo" boats approaching target area.

Coastal Jäger conscripts (?) exiting a Jurmo.

Conscript NCO student. He is wearing the modular combined shrapnel/equipment "coastal jäger" vest exclusive to this branch.

Missile boat "Rauma"

Reservist Lance Corporal operating a 12,7 ItKK (NSV).

Conscript Military Police squad with two staff dog handlers.

MPs advancing.

MP with older RK 62 rifle.

Officers.

Bigass post again. The air defence exercise Lohtaja 07 is underway.

Picture gallery with more pics and hires

Some highlights:

Opening ceremony

Equipment NCO inspecting 23 mm ZU-23 rounds before firing.

edit: 12,7 mm NSV rounds, sorry!

23 ITK 61 'Sergei' (ZU-23) firing.

Field religious service.

Military police guarding the HQ.

Conscript Sgt. having breakfast.

Military police firing TAK 85 sniper rifles at the range.

Missile platform CMAD firing.

TPSV 90 'Marksman' being driven into position.

AA missile 96 BUK M1 firing.

Reservist officer students practicing shooting with flare pistols.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by Cpl.K; 11-28-2007 at 02:46 PM.