Page 7 of 166 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Finnish Army Photos

Bigass post again. The air defence exercise Lohtaja 07 is underway.

Picture gallery with more pics and hires

Some highlights:

Opening ceremony

Equipment NCO inspecting 23 mm ZU-23 rounds before firing.

edit: 12,7 mm NSV rounds, sorry!

23 ITK 61 'Sergei' (ZU-23) firing.

Field religious service.

Military police guarding the HQ.

Conscript Sgt. having breakfast.

Military police firing TAK 85 sniper rifles at the range.

Missile platform CMAD firing.

TPSV 90 'Marksman' being driven into position.

AA missile 96 BUK M1 firing.

Reservist officer students practicing shooting with flare pistols.

That's all for now.
    Last edited by Cpl.K; 11-28-2007 at 02:46 PM.

What kind of targets and range is ITK 61 trained against?

Quote Originally Posted by Snooz View Post
    What kind of targets and range is ITK 61 trained against?
    ITK 61 operators are relatively rare. I only know one operator (reservist officer) in real life. I don't know if you will get a real answer here, but mil.fi puts the maximum range to an airborne target at 2000 meters.

Bonus: Father Christmas visits the exercise, spreading peace and friendship and firing a 12.7 ITKK 96 (NSV).

Great thread! And first post for me, so hi guys

Finnish volunteer local defence company from Raasepori (which is also the photo source). Volunteer companies like this one will form the basis for the new local defence organization, and will be responsible for their own local area. Typically one company will consist of 13 officers, 42 NCO's, and 120 soldiers (total 175). Some companies will be bigger since they will also include a dedicated anti-tank platoon.

Heavy disposable 112mm anti-tank rocket Apilas.

Standard assault rifle, 7.62 RK 62.

81mm mortar.

PKM machine gun.

12.7mm simulator.

Isn't left shoulder(weak) firing when aiming around right corners being tought in the Finish Army?

Quote Originally Posted by flanker7 View Post

Isn't left shoulder(weak) firing when aiming around right corners being tought in the Finish Army?
    Hah, you mean right shoulder weak when aiming around left corners??
    I was in the capital city defense regiment for 6 months... They never stressed anything about shooting left handed if you're right handed in any kind of situation.

Some from the coastal defence exercise Leea 07.

130mm fixed coastal artillery turret.

Gun crew.

A German-made BOR-A 550 radar.

Jurmo landing boat.

Another Jurmo.

Meat soup, what keeps a Finnish soldier going... and going

A 200 litre target drum pierced by training rounds from a 40 mm H&K grenade MG.
    The gunners fired from 500 and 900 meters and were impressed by the accuracy.

Video: http://tietokannat.mil.fi/leea07/include/video.php?id=1

Quote Originally Posted by flanker7 View Post
    OK, first of all, when most of these volunteer (middle-aged or near to it) guys were in their conscript service there was probably zero MOUT training, and I don't know in what phase of their local defence training they are in in these pictures. A middle-aged Finnish reservist is lucky to have been on a reservist exercise in the last 5 years, the funding for exercises has been pretty poor but has now improved again. So don't expect too much from these guys at least according to these pics, I can see that many have probably never used even the (relatively new) M/91 set of equipment, I would guess that they are pretty early in their training.

These guys do get a fair bit of training, centered on location protection. In practice, this means protecting important local installations in their area in time of war, like power plants. Training includes operating a vehicle checkpoint, operating against enemy special forces and saboteurs, and relatively a lot of MOUT.

The status of MOUT training for regular (mechanized) infantry in the Finnish Army is still relatively low priority, and with good reason, Finland is relatively sp****ly populated. The only large built-up area, the Helsinki capital area, has its own specialized wartime MOUT infantry battalions protecting it.

The "German Battlegroup" (EU Battlegroup that Finland was part of 2006-2007) protection company has developed Finnish MOUT tactics quite extensively in Säkylä. We received some MOUT training from the GBG in Säkylä and received some interesting information, but I can't say a lot about it due to OPSEC (So cool to be able to say that for once, eh ).

So, to the point, in that picture it looks like the fighting pair has advanced to a corner and "taken control" of it. If that is what they are trying to do, they aren't doing it quite right in the picture (according to what I've been thaught), but most probably they are first trying to get a feel for their weapons, these guys aren't professionals, so it's no use overanalyzing the pics at least at this stage. And to answer your question, I don't know anyone (at least in conscript service) who has been thaught to shoot from the weak side for MOUT. Trying to master the absolute basics of tactical rifle shooting with a limited budget of ammunition is enough work. Don't know about specialized MOUT units.

If someone here is a member of a local defence company, they can probably tell you more about them.

Cool. Thank you for the answer Corporal K. It makes sence. Good to see people volunteering for their country's defense

Left handed shooting is mentioned, but most(not all) of the volunteers do not have the skill base to do it properly. So basically that means that they are told to use the method they can hit something. We'll probably see later on if it will chance, as the local defence companies are a very new thing.

Not very engouragin set of photos btw., I should guess it's their first training session.

"left handed" shooting is a business as usual thing for example guard jaegers in helsinki. Or at least thats the way i have been trained.

My thoughts about those photos are the same as Jippo, looks like first_time_thing going on.. but we will definitely see improvement as their training goes forward.

ITO 90 Crotale.

AFOTAS ART. Has a thermal, goniometer and laser range finder. Used for targeting and surveillance.

AA missile unit officers.

Officers from the HQ's operative unit visiting the exercise.

A selfmade (not by me) Youtube video about the exercise Amber Hope 2007 in Lithuania has been posted. Participating in this EX was the FRDF 1st Jäger Coy. from the Pori Brigade, Finland. Also participating was the FRDF HQ. In the exercise, these were divided into an infantry company, a battalion HQ (or was it brigade?) and Signal and EOD platoons in a CSS company.

Click on the pics to go to the video. It doesn't have a whole lot of "operational" stuff in it, but the official FDF page for the EX can be found here.

I was in this exercise in the infantry coy, so ask if you are curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Urquell View Post
    ITO 90 Crotale.

That hair is an accident waiting to happen! In an armored vehicle crew, oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl.K View Post

Conscripts operating a PSTOhj 2000 (EuroSpike).
    Negative.

A small (and possibly quite an insignificant) correction: The missile pictured here is the Spike-ER/CMS (Coastal Missile System), know as Rannikko-ohjus 2006 (RO2006) in the FDF