Page 8 of 166 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161858108 ... LastLast

Thread: Finnish Army Photos

The predecessor of the Spike-ER/RO 2006 in Finnish light coastal missile use, was the French-made SS.11. Quite similar to the Soviet AT-3 Sagger missile system and similarly guided by a joystick. The SS.11 was apparently quite a popular missile in Finnish use, it was relatively cheap, easy to operate in the field (in Finland a simple wooden frame was used that the missile was placed on) and very accurate with trained gunners.

However its use in in Finland ended 1995, due to the lack of missiles, the manufacturer had stopped making them. Almost 40 years after it first came in use in France.

SS.11 at the Suomenlinna coastal artillery museum.

[SIZE=-1]Length[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]119 cm (47 in)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Wingspan[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]50 cm (19.5 in)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Diameter[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]16.4 cm (6.5 in)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Weight[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]30 kg (66 lb)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Speed[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]685 km/h (425 mph)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Range[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3000 m (9800 ft)[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Propulsion[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Two-stage (boost/sustain) solid-fuel rocket[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
    Warhead[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]6.8 kg (15 lb) Type 140AC anti-armour[/SIZE]

I have been lurking for quite some time. I have enjoyed the "national" threads, about the armed forces of various countries. I hope the one starting this thread doesn't mind that we have turned his personal photos thread to one mega-thread about the Finnish defence forces?

I atleast hope not, because here are some news

The Defence Forces plan to acquire about 180 road lorries of different types between 2008 and 2010. About 350 actual military lorries will be needed in 2009 and 2010, and the military wants the option for another lot the same size by the end of 2011.

http://www.hs.fi/english/print/1135231588086
    Hopefully (and I think it will) the order will go the Finnish SISU Defence company. As shown earlier in this thread already, the 10 x 10 version has already been ordered in small numbers. Maybe we will see 4 x 4 versions as well in service in the near future. I don't think that SISU Defence would have developed the vehicles, had they not expected some orders from the FDF.

4 x 4

6x6

8 x 8

10 x 10

http://www.sisudefence.fi/portal/en/frontpage

Quote Originally Posted by Urquell View Post
    The predecessor of the Spike-ER/RO 2006 in Finnish light coastal missile use, was the French-made SS.11. Quite similar to the Soviet AT-3 Sagger missile system and similarly guided by a joystick. The SS.11 was apparently quite a popular missile in Finnish use, it was relatively cheap, easy to operate in the field (in Finland a simple wooden frame was used that the missile was placed on) and very accurate with trained gunners.

However its use in in Finland ended 1995, due to the lack of missiles, the manufacturer had stopped making them. Almost 40 years after it first came in use in France.

SS.11 at the Suomenlinna coastal artillery museum.

[SIZE=-1]Length[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]119 cm (47 in)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Wingspan[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]50 cm (19.5 in)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Diameter[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]16.4 cm (6.5 in)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Weight[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]30 kg (66 lb)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Speed[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]685 km/h (425 mph)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Range[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]3000 m (9800 ft)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Propulsion[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]Two-stage (boost/sustain) solid-fuel rocket[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Warhead[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]6.8 kg (15 lb) Type 140AC anti-armour[/SIZE]
    I was instructor at last SS-11 course in FDF, 1992... It was marvellous, kind of coastal jaeger training with missiles.

Two corrections...

Quote Originally Posted by Cpl.K View Post

Equipment NCO inspecting 23 mm ZU-23 rounds before firing.
    12.7 NSV rounds

Conscript NCO student. He is wearing the modular combined shrapnel/equipment "coastal jäger" vest exclusive to this branch.
    Actually, it´s ballistic protection vest (NIJ-III). This is normal in FDF, even not all officers don´t know difference between shrapnel and ballistic protection.

Also note sling of his weapon, it´s made by HK and modified in Finland (Exclellent piece of kit) and headset of LV-141 (Tadiran PRR). That´s much better than army´s version. Fcuk the navy, fancier uniforms and better headsets...

Quote Originally Posted by Esko Mörkö View Post
    Actually, it´s ballistic protection vest (NIJ-III). This is normal in FDF, even not all officers don´t know difference between shrapnel and ballistic protection.
    That really looks like the floating vest used only by coastal jaegers, big metal rings are a dead giveaway. I've seen the M91 ballistic vest and it didn't have those rings, it was basically just like the M91 shrapnel vest but with small differencies in layout.

Or is there a yet another vest I haven't heard of ?

Quote Originally Posted by Esko Mörkö
    Also note sling of his weapon, it´s made by HK and modified in Finland (Exclellent piece of kit) and headset of LV-141 (Tadiran PRR). That´s much better than army´s version. Fcuk the navy, fancier uniforms and better headsets...
    Do you know who manufactures the headset used in the Army? This one.

LV-141 http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/kalustoe...&equipment=178

We use the Tadiran head set.
    I don't like it very much. It's not stable enough. I believe that if it had an over the head ***** in adition to the round the head one it would be better. Like the UK PRR

Quote Originally Posted by Esko Mörkö View Post
    Two corrections...

12.7 NSV rounds
    You are right! I should know as I've belted/fired 12.7.

That really looks like the floating vest used only by coastal jaegers, big metal rings are a dead giveaway. I've seen the M91 ballistic vest and it didn't have those rings, it was basically just like the M91 shrapnel vest but with small differencies in layout.
    As I said, it's the coastal jägers' vest. It is possible to insert flotation "cushions" into it, but I've heard that conscripts usually (secretly) take them out because they make the vest so freaking hot. It is also used by ATU.

The (newest) M91 ballistic vest is completely different from the M91 shrapnel vest, even if they look alike due to the camo. There are actually different versions of these, one is more like the shrapnel vest. The ballistic vest closes with big pieces of velcro on the sides and over one shoulder, and has very different pockets.

Here is a picture with two different version of the ballistic vest:

Two of the EOD guys have ballistic vests missing the big velcro bases on the shoulders, and having the shrapnel vest groin protector (with flaps to hold it up) instead.

Note extra flap on the collar compared to the shrapnel vest, and the manner of closing the vest over the shoulder. Very much like the new M05 ballistic vest, I think the manufacturer is the same (Burgmann).

Default Hey

Great pics. Looks like Finnish MOD is investing in new equipement. Where can I find High Res pics of the finnish leopard 2? I searched the MOD website but my finnish is not that great

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Reaper_81 View Post
    Great pics. Looks like Finnish MOD is investing in new equipement. Where can I find High Res pics of the finnish leopard 2? I searched the MOD website but my finnish is not that great

Thanks in advance
    Here is the page for all exercise webpages on mil.fi.

Scroll down to the category "Läntisen maanpuolustusalueen harjoitukset" (The Western Defence Area exercises, I guess most Leopards are in those exercises as the Armored Brigade is situated there, you can also try other defence areas) and you will see a bunch of exercises. On each exercise main page, you can go to "kuvagalleria" to see the picture gallery. Then you can scroll until you see some Leopard pics, they are often dispersed in the gallery. Click "painokelpoinen kuva" under each pic to get hires.

Sample:

Some photos from Karelia Brigade's site. I will just post some nice samples. More on their site.

http://www.mil.fi/maavoimat/joukot/karpr/

Mortar and artillery crew war and live fire exercise 2/07

When contingent 2/07 took their oath

Kymi Pioneer Batallion's Day

Default Hey

@ Urquel and Cpl K. Thanks very much for learning me a little finnish and help me search pics

Grtz

Default Hey

@ Urquel and Cpl K. Thanks very much for learning me a little finnish and help me search pics

Grtz

Note extra flap on the collar compared to the shrapnel vest, and the manner of closing the vest over the shoulder. Very much like the new M05 ballistic vest, I think the manufacturer is the same (Burgmann).
    This vest is made only for ISAF, pure sh... It´s designed for CIMIC-operations, there is no mag pouches etc .Velcro on the below of the left shoulder is similar with older versions, if you jump or run it will pop up. M/05 vest have double velcro, it´s much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Urquell View Post
    Do you know who manufactures the headset used in the Army? This one.
    Racal. Absolutely ****ty to use with helmet more than few hours, especially if you are using hearing protection at the same time.