Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying an AK-47 kit, need advice!

Senior Member I'mOnlyHalfPolish's Avatar

Default Buying an AK-47 kit, need advice!

My brother has offered to buy me an AK-47 kit for my b-day and I'm curious what brand/manufacturer/country of origin's are best in everyone's honest opinion.

I've heard buy Bulgarian with American milled receiver...I've also read to steer clear of any stamped receivers under certain thicknesses.

Well I'm looking to get a good AK in 7.62x39, standard Russkie round, correct?

I'm trying to keep my price range maybe around $400, and I live in Texas.

Advice/suggestions...?

Keep the "search button" comments to yourself, this site adds new members daily and I would like to get advice that any knowledgable newbies might have.

Thanks in advance.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80043194

Theres a great starter kit for you to try, I would do this one simply because of price, and your first build, they are cheap and durable. Get your self a us made flat and then go from there.

Since you are in TX, you will have the upper hand being in a pro gun state. Several of your neighbors may already have small factories in their garage.

I'd advise you to get what you can while stuff is still available. Almost a year ago, importation of kits w/ barrels were banned, leaving what was already in the US subject to the laws of supply and demand. Prices have gone up, and fewer and fewer options are available.
    I've got two kit-built AKs, a Polish underfolder and a Romanian sidefolder. I'm pleased with the quality of both.

Hollis is the MP.net AK kit expert. You might want to send him a PM if you have any specific questions.

And by the way, I got my receiver flats from Tapco.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    I'd advise you to get what you can while stuff is still available. Almost a year ago, importation of kits w/ barrels were banned, leaving what was already in the US subject to the laws of supply and demand. Prices have gone up, and fewer and fewer options are available.
    I've got two kit-built AKs, a Polish underfolder and a Romanian sidefolder. I'm pleased with the quality of both.

Hollis is the MP.net AK kit expert. You might want to send him a PM if you have any specific questions.

And by the way, I got my receiver flats from Tapco.
    ah ok, cool, yeah i looked at them about two years ago with no intention of buying and there were plenty available from all over by numerous manu's but i did notice today the prices were substantially higher and quantities low.

how is that Polish underfolder...i saw a few online and i kind of liked them. i thought about just getting a fixed butt but just for storing purposes realized the folders are a better deal...not sure if you or anyone knows if which is better in side v. underfolder?

also, although the AK is not known for accuracy, anyone know which affordable or should i say perhaps available types are most accurate?

thanks for the advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Createdeemcee View Post
    http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=80043194

Theres a great starter kit for you to try, I would do this one simply because of price, and your first build, they are cheap and durable. Get your self a us made flat and then go from there.

Since you are in TX, you will have the upper hand being in a pro gun state. Several of your neighbors may already have small factories in their garage.
    know why he says "no FFL required"? i was planning on getting whatever i bought shipped to a licensed gun dealer and paying them maybe a 20 spot or 30 bucks or whatever for receiving it for me...

The quality of my Polish underfolder is excellent.
    Overall, I would go for what looks to be the best condition parts kit (difficult to tell if you are ordering it on-line).
    I like side-folding buttstocks more than under-folders, as they seem to provide a more stable firing platform.
    But given the choice, I'd probably opt for a fixed stock if I were to only have one AK.
    For accuracy and quality, I'd go for an American Krebs AK, but you'll pay a lot more money.
    I like the Yugo AKs a lot too (although I've never actually fired one), but again, you'll pay more $$$.

Again, at this point, your options are getting very limited, and I'd opt for getting the kit that has the least wear on the parts.

You don't need an FFL for the parts kit or the receiver flat. The receiver flat will become a "gun" once it is shaped.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    You don't need an FFL for the parts kit or the receiver flat. The receiver flat will become a "gun" once it is shaped.
    yeah ive noticed the kits did not have the receiver...so now i know the no FFL deal. sorry im going to sound like a moron here (i only own a shotgun, pistol and a rifle but no "assault rifles") but what is a receiver flat? will it require machining to put onto my kit parts?

i have shot a friends AR-15 extensively but find them to be a bit too pricey and the brass ain't cheap b/c there is a war goin on.

i might win the dumb**** award for that question if it is still around.

Don't worry about it!!! Not long ago, I didn't know much about this kind of stuff either.

I'd recommend getting the parts kit as soon as possible.

At the same time, you'll need to order what's called a RECEIVER FLAT, which is a flattened piece of aluminum, with the necessary holes pre-cut.

You'll need a press to form the receiver flat into a proper AK receiver. Then, you insert you trigger group, fire control group, and all other parts.

I cannot stress enough the importance of having someone who knows what they are doing, and has the necessary tools, to help you. There's no way I could have done it if it hadn't been for the generous assistance of a fellow MP.net member.

If you look at the sticky thread "building firearms", it will give you an idea of what to expect.

And seriously, don't worry about asking questions. You can even PM me if you want. Hollis would be a good person to PM as well, since he is the expert on this sort of thing.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Hollis has built multiple versions of them. He's quite patient with silly questions also. I know, I've asked them. heh. I have yet to bend my reciever flat. But I will.

Mine came from AKparts.com

cool thanks for all the help fellas, ill check out that site CJ and the sticky Samurai

Good luck!
    They're a bit of work, but worth it!

Just make sure the completed rifle is 922(r) compliant.

By that, do you mean having the necessary US-made parts?

Yes. It's annoying, but it beats going to jail over.