Page 56 of 124 FirstFirst ... 646484950515253545556575859606162636466106 ... LastLast

Thread: REQ: African militaries

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    I didn't think so, but I saw enough stories on the net to justify asking.

More than likely a show of interest for an attack helicopter which ultimatley led to the recent purchase of the WZ-9.

In regards to the BRDM-3, the term refers to a recce variant of the BTR-80 and also in the past NATO has has referred to an improved version of the BRDM-2 and the BRDM-2's anti-tank variants fitted with guided missiles as the BRDM-3, so it does exist.

Is the D-30 an anti-tank weapon or light artillery?

**** you 20122. how goes does gaz type drunk? dricl. man Hellfish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RomeoTangoFoxtrotIndigo View Post
    More than likely a show of interest for an attack helicopter which ultimatley led to the recent purchase of the WZ-9.

In regards to the BRDM-3, the term refers to a recce variant of the BTR-80 and also in the past NATO has has referred to an improved version of the BRDM-2 and the BRDM-2's anti-tank variants fitted with guided missiles as the BRDM-3, so it does exist.

Is the D-30 an anti-tank weapon or light artillery?
    122mm howitzer.

The Mi-28 stories I saw were all dated in the last year, after the WZ-9s had arrived.

Examples:

http://www.wingsoverafrica-aviation....hts-kenya.html
    http://intelligencebriefs.com/?p=1581
    www.the-star.co.ke/news/article-30773/kenya-buys-russian-gunships
    http://beegeagle.wordpress.com/2012/...ured-vehicles/
    http://www.standardmedia.co.ke/?articleID=2000059954

You can see why I thought it worth asking here.

More than likely poor journalism. To give some quotes from your sources as examples:

Kenya has been looking for serviceable and affordable fighter jets preferably the F-15. Senior military officers in 2009 visited American military bases and resolved to upgrade their air defenses. The team sought to acquire about 20 F-15 fighter jets from Jordan which were scheduled to be delivered in 2012. The 17th US Air Force command visited the Laikipia Airbase in August 2009 to assess how Kenya Air Force could meet the resulting challenges.
    (since when has Jordan operated the Eagle?)

A Kenyan senior military officer confirmed that delivery of the aircraft and said that the orders were placed several years ago. (I'm sure Rosobornexport would have been more forthcoming with the info on this sale had it happened)

The Mi-28 is an all weather two-seat anti-amour attack helicopter armed with a pair of missile racks (it has more than a pair of missile racks)

If you add that to the fact that the text is almost identical on all references and a big question mark appears about it accuracy

Post recent local news article about an elite kenyan unit trained by u.s and brits

More than likely poor journalism. To give some quotes from your sources as examples:

Kenya has been looking for serviceable and affordable fighter jets preferably the F-15. Senior military officers in 2009 visited American military bases and resolved to upgrade their air defenses. The team sought to acquire about 20 F-15 fighter jets from Jordan which were scheduled to be delivered in 2012. The 17th US Air Force command visited the Laikipia Airbase in August 2009 to assess how Kenya Air Force could meet the resulting challenges.

A Kenyan senior military officer confirmed that delivery of the aircraft and said that the orders were placed several years ago. (I'm sure Rosobornexport would have been more forthcoming with the info on this sale had it happened)

The Mi-28 is an all weather two-seat anti-amour attack helicopter armed with a pair of missile racks (it has more than a pair of missile racks)

If you add that to the fact that the text is almost identical on all references and a big question mark appears about it accuracy
    there was this kenyan militaryblog spot that had similar stories but non of the bloggers confided more,i forgot the wedsite address.i will search for it to find out the latest stories from this blogger.thats the same site which had the youtube video of zw-9 firing on some targets in somali

Question regarding the Ethiopian AF inventory, during the war with Eritrea they supposedly purchased at least a single Ka-50 and a Su-25TK (Su-39) yet not a sngle photo has ever been found on the net. Does anyone know if they were returned to Russia or if they are even servicable? Thanks

Oh, I know there is some shoddy journalism in all those reports in multiple instances... still, I thought it was worth asking here.

a f-5 carrying a tow gun target
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

thanks for the photos,amazing

Post The Battle of N'Djamena

Default Wild Fly - Mirage F1 Low Level in Chad

the french airforce in chad

This is by far the most interesting thread on mp.net. Thanks, guys.

Looks like EG has beefed themselves up since our last coup attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellfish View Post
    Looks like EG has beefed themselves up since our last coup attempt.
    Nigerian pirates attacking your major cities (and robbing banks with grenade launchers) is a quite good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by hellfish View Post
    this is by far the most interesting thread on mp.net. Thanks, guys.
    x2............