Page 4 of 47 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashlights, head lamps, torches etc

Quote Originally Posted by AlexNenadic
    Surefire E2E, but without the "clickie" tailcap. The damn thing failed in less than a month so I went back to using the standard one.
    Never had a problem (or known of one) with mine since I was issued it in 2003. What happened Alex?

Wow lots of choices thats for sure and I'll reseach them all. I do have a Pelican that Im happy with but will be getting a second flashlight. Thanks for all of your help guys.

i was reading Infantry Bugler the other day and there was some add for this reall y cool flashlight. I can't remember the name of it. Any other infantryman read that mag?

Quote Originally Posted by BadKarma26
    i was reading Infantry Bugler the other day and there was some add for this reall y cool flashlight. I can't remember the name of it. Any other infantryman read that mag?
    Gladius by Blackhawk's Night-Ops? I hear that flashlight is the cat's meow, really high quality stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by HoboWithAK
    Gladius by Blackhawk's Night-Ops? I hear that flashlight is the cat's meow, really high quality stuff.
    thats the one

Another manufacturer making excellent flashlights is PentagonLight. I've held a friend's X2 before and the quality is outstanding, comparable to SureFire but at a much lower price point. One big advantage over the SureFire E2E/E2D/C2 flashlights: the X2's lamp assembly is shock isolated so it can be mounted on a rifle. The cheapest SureFire model with Type III hard anodizing and shock isolation is the M2 Centurion, and it costs nearly $70 more (SRP).

I own a couple of SureFire lights (G2 and E2E), one Streamlight flashlight (TL-2, bang for the buck), and a PentagonLight X2 (or maybe X3) is next on my shopping list.

I wonder if you really need to worry about shock if you're tapping the torch to a rifle like the M16 or a SMG like the MP5. "Shock" doesn't exactly come to mind when I think of the recoil of those guns.

the bulb that the pentagon brand uses is the P60..same thing as the $36 G2 Nitrolon..and you could mount that to a M16,MP5,or even a shotgun.

Most expensive is not same as best. Cheaper brands can offer better value for money.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    Never had a problem (or known of one) with mine since I was issued it in 2003. What happened Alex?
    The Z57 clicky tailcap is fairly new. If you got your E2E issued in 2003 it will have the Z52 tailcap. On the Z52 the black rubber button is only used for "momentary on". The tailcap is twisted to lock the light on.

On the Z57 the black rubber button can be used to click the light on and off.

Whow those little lamps are really expensive!

I have a Petzl Myo3 I use for hiking, and a very little maglite for reading maps, finding keyholes, etc ...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Andrews
    The Z57 clicky tailcap is fairly new. If you got your E2E issued in 2003 it will have the Z52 tailcap. On the Z52 the black rubber button is only used for "momentary on". The tailcap is twisted to lock the light on.

On the Z57 the black rubber button can be used to click the light on and off.
    That's right - it just illuminates when pressed. Never had a problem with it, but I do take the batteries out when storing it and especially when flying. I really like it it's a good general purpose light with loads of illumination for carrying in civvies or in a grab bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal
    The tailcap you have is probably the "standard" one I referred to. Twist for constant-on, push the button for momentary illumination. The Clickie tailcap doesn't twist, and the black button clicks for constant illumination when pushed all the way down. This mechanism failed very quickly on mine, forcing me to go back to the KISS cap of days past.

The E2 is my choice, mine has rumbled about in my car, pocket and has been dropped at work more than a few times and the coating seems resistant to the SO2 mix that I work with which does evil things to almost everthing even the keys in my pocket go furry.

Falcons FTW

I've had a 6P surefire for 2 years now. Had to replace the bulb assembly once. A fantastic light if you need to see or blind everyone in an instant! But i laso carry a quicklite to see up close, writing stuff, ect...