Thread: Question about Royal 22e Régiment

Default Question about Royal 22e Régiment

I'm goin through everything google throws at me, including the official page of the Royal 22e Régiment.I'm unable to find out where their Uniform (in the picture below) originates from. I thought maybe it could be because one the battalions folded into the Regiment was Les Fusiliers du Saint-Laurent and Canadian/British Fusilier regiments traditionally wore bearskin hats.

The cut of the tunic and lacing are those of Canadian Militia units of the late 1800's (also shown in a picture) very much like the tunic of the RCR's and PPCLI Regiments respectively with different coloured facings.

My main question is regarding the wearing of the Bearskin. The Canadian units such as "Grenadier Guards of Canada" and "Governor Generals Foot Guards" wear the bearskin but that is in addition to the tunic of Grenadier units (both units are affiliated with British Guard Regiments)

Anyone know about the bearskins significance in theRoyal 22e Régiment?
    Any information is much appreciated.

Uniform of the Royal 22e Régiment

The Tunic of Canadian Militia units, which our permanent force Regiments tunics derive from.
    Last edited by Johnny_H02; 11-02-2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Typo in my post corrected.

My understanding of the "bearskin" is that British Gren Guards stole them from the French!

I'm pretty sure that is a blanc statement.
    What you may be reffering too is the following

The British practice of covering grenadier caps with fur seems to have originated unofficially in the later stages of the French and Indian War, no doubt inspired by a plentiful supply of bears and frontiersmen who dressed themselves liberally in furs. By 1766 bearskin caps for grenadiers was official throughout the army. These were smaller than today's bearskins, had a plate on the front, a grenade badge on the back and were draped with cords. All these frills on the bearskin were eliminated in 1829 after several minor modifications in design. In 1800 the British army adopted the shako (a peaked stovepipe hat), and dispensed with tricornes and grenadier caps (but grenadier companies retained the latter for parade dress). In 1815 the First Regiment of Guards defeated the Grenadiers of Napoleon's Imperial Guard at Waterloo, and were shortly afterwards given the new title "Grenadier Guards" and the right to wear the bearskin hats of their defeated counterparts. This was the familiar 18th-century style with metal plates, cords and grenades. All these fills on the bearskin hat were eliminated in 1829 in favour of the simpler style still worn today. The modern bearskin is about eighteen inches tall and weighs about two pounds, the bearskin being fitted on wicker frame.
    http://www.regiments.org/about/faq/guards.htm

We are however not discussing the significance of the Bearskin hat to the Grenadier Guards or the origins of its introduction into the British army.

This thread is strictly in regards to the aforementioned Canadian Regiment.
    I'm assuming it has something to do with the regiments Fusilier origins but that is only a guess at best.

I've seen that show, good stuff.
    iirc he is in the Grenadier Guards, which were given the Bearskin for their victory over the French Old Guard at Waterloo.
    Originally Posted by wotsnext
    My understanding of the "bearskin" is that British Gren Guards stole them from the French!
    So although worded terribly is correct more or less. That being said, the tradition of Bearskin hats in the British Army pre-dates Napoleons time.

Grenadier Units in the British army and even Highland Regiments would wear the Bearskin on Campaign in North America during the 7 years war and the American Revolution.

In regards to the Royal 22e Regiment their plumes on their bearskins are much bigger then their English and Anglo Canadian counterparts.

http://www.mtang.net/gallery/main.ph...serialNumber=2

For Queen and Country Roy Batty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_H View Post
    In regards to the Royal 22e Regiment their plumes on their bearskins are much bigger then their English and Anglo Canadian counterparts.
    They're compensating for........

lol

"both units are affiliated with British Grenadier Units"

Just to let you know, the GGFG and CGG wear the beark skin as an affiliate symbol to the 'Guards' Household Division of Britain, not Grenadier Units only.
    Same goes for the wearing of buttons by ones or two by two and the forace cap band collars. Sorry no help on R22eR though.

Quote Originally Posted by paratrooper View Post
    "both units are affiliated with British Grenadier Units"

Just to let you know, the GGFG and CGG wear the beark skin as an affiliate symbol to the 'Guards' Household Division of Britain, not Grenadier Units only.
    Same goes for the wearing of buttons by ones or two by two and the forace cap band collars. Sorry no help on R22eR though.

My mistake, I meant to put "Both are affiliated with Guards" units.
    The Grenadier Guards of Canada are affliated with the Grenadier Guards & GGFG are affiliated with the Coldstream Guards.

That being said, I am aware of the tunics, button spacing and lace/facings that the Guard units in Canada wear and why. I was drawing upon a example quickly and didn't properly take the time to explain it in more detail.

Thanks for the input though, my question is really in regards to why the R22eR wear the bearskin hat.

I'll ask around base on monday, enough 'castors' around here.

Many thanks,that would be great.

Col Vanier, during the 1920s approached Militia and Defense HQ with a proposal that the officers of the R22eR be allowed to adopt a special head dress. NDHQ agreed and Vanier started looking in France for something "special". He found a model that he liked but the supplier wanted payment upfront, Vanier was used to the British method wear payment was made after delivery so he sought a similar headdress in Britain. The headdress he discovered was a Fusiliers Bearskin. The Vandoos are allied to a British Fusiliers Regiment and based on this alliance NDHQ gave final approval.
    My dad told me this all off hand from documentation he looked up at National Archives.

Very good! thank you geesh I didn't even think to check the National Archives website. Makes perfect sense, I was on to something with the Fusiliers connection I just didnt look hard enough it seems.I looked at the French Canadian Fusilier Regiment that folded into the Royal 22nd but didn't notice they have an alliance with Royal Welch Fusiliers which now constitutes the 1st Battalion of the "Royal Welsh".

Thanks Paratrooper!

(Sorry about mixing up the whole "Guards"/"Grenadier" thing which was a careless typo. I am very well aware that the button spacing, bearskin hat and any other tradition or link to the British Household division is a very proud one, for each of the Guards Regiments which I took too lightly trying to stay on topic in regards to the R22eR)

My pleasure to have helped out although credit is due to my father. He spends hours on end doing research for his books and always find these unknown anecdotes and details on dress regs and traditions. No hard feeling about the Guards, just wanted to correct a slip of mind. Have a good one!

Your father sounds like a very interesting chap.
    My old man is much the same for anything concerning The Royal Navy and Nautical History.