Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The beheading competition in Nanking, 1937

Default The beheading competition in Nanking, 1937

The following article was quoted in Timperley's What War Means (American title: Japanese Terror in China) in 1938. It appeared in the Japan Advertiser, an American owned and edited English-language daily paper in Tokyo, on December 7, 1937.

SUB-LIEUTENANTS IN RACE TO FELL 100 CHINESE RUNNING CLOSE CONTEST

Sub-lieutenant Toshiaki Mukai and Sub-lieutenant Takeshi Noda, both of the Katagiri unit at Kuyung, in a friendly contest to see "which of them will first fell 100 Chinese in individual sword combat before the Japanese forces completely occupy Nanking are well in the final phase of their race, running almost neck to neck.

On Sunday when their unit was fighting outside Kuyung, the "score," according to the Asahi, was: Sub-lieutenant Mukai, 89, and Sub-lieutenant Noda, 78.

On December 14, 1937, the same paper published another report that read:

CONTEST TO KILL FIRST 100 CHINESE WITH SWORD EXTENDED WHEN BOTH FIGHTERS EXCEED MARK

The winner of the competition between Sub-Lieutenant Toshiaki Mukai and Sub-Lieutenant lwao [Takeshi] Noda to see who would be the first to kill 100 Chinese with his Yamato sword has not been decided, the Nichi Nichi reports from the slopes of Purple Mountain, outside Nanking.

Mukai has a score of 106 and his rival has dispatched 105 men, but the two contestants have found it impossible to determine which passed the 100 mark first. Instead of settling it with a discussion, they are going to extend the goal by 50.

Mukai's blade was slightly damaged in the competition. He explained that this was the result of cutting a Chinese in half, helmet and all. The contest was "fun," he declared, and he thought it a good thing that both men had gone over the 100 mark without knowing that the other had done so.

Early Saturday morning, when the Nichi Nichi man interviewed the sub-lieutenant at a point overlooking Dr. Sun Yat-sen's tomb, another Japanese unit set fire to the slopes of Purple Mountain in an attempt to drive out the Chinese troops.

The action also smoked out Sub-Lieutenant Mukai and his unit, and the men stood idly by while bullets passed overhead. "Not a shot hits me while I am holding this sword on my shoulder," he explained confidently.

Wikipedia on the subject.

Further reading...

Quote Originally Posted by The Nanking Atrocities
    However, as many historians point out today, the stories of hyped heroism, in which those soldiers courageously killed a number of enemies in hand-to-hand combat with swords, couldn't be taken at face value.

Indeed, when Noda came back to his hometown in Japan and made a speech at an elementary school, he told his young audience that of more than a hundred Chinese soldiers he killed, most were actually prisoners of war.

In 1971 one of the schoolchildren, Shishime Akira, wrote to a magazine of what he heard from Noda years before, a part of which quoted the second lieutenant as saying:

"I killed only four or five with sword in the real combat.... After we captured an enemy trench, we'd tell them, "Ni Lai Lai." The Chinese soldiers were stupid enough to come out the trench toward us one after another. We'd line them up and cut them down from one end to the other."

As if representing the hundreds of other "great swordsmen" in the Imperial Army of Japan who severed the heads of unresisting Chinese captives, Tanaka, Mukai and Noda were all sentenced to death and executed on January 28, 1948.
    The Nanking Atrocities.

Eating eggs & hash browns. Nahal %^&*@strong 111.

[sarcasm]Ohh, the Japanese are just misunderstood, they're victims too.[/sarcasm]

Trucker From The Sky

damn that is pretty brutal

Quote Originally Posted by zonk View Post
    damn that is pretty brutal
    I would say it is inhumane, disturbing and gruesome as well as an act of total lack of morals of the side of these two Japanese officers.

RIP to the fallen Chinese, it is a shame how their last minutes of life were spent

X2. I hope those two officers, plus anyone who encouraged their behavior, got what was coming to them. This kind of stuff makes a person want to believe in karma, or retribution in the afterlife.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    X2. I hope those two officers, plus anyone who encouraged their behavior, got what was coming to them. This kind of stuff makes a person want to believe in karma, or retribution in the afterlife.
    Karma came in the form of atomic bombs, not nearly enough, but nevertheless, America should be endlessly praised for the two which were dropped.

"It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
    Karma came in the form of atomic bombs, not nearly enough, but nevertheless, America should be endlessly praised for the two which were dropped.
    That's retarded.

Cellular organism & Junior Sleuth - Horseshoe crab advisor to the League of Cantankerous Old Farts oswald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    According to the second link they were both executed.

^ I guess I missed that part. Thanks for pointing it out, Oswald.

I see you have a very twisted perception of life in general, you think that by dropping two atomic bombs, ,whileist ending the war, and killing thousands of civilians immediately , and thousands more later on thanks to stuff as radiation, all the sickness and diseases caused by it as Karma. Not to even mention all the innocent infants being born with horrible diseases. I think that you sir need to check yourself for a brain.

Agreed. While the bombs may have been justified in speeding up the end of the war, to say innocent women, children, and civilians should have paid for the Nanking atrocities is a sign of a sick mind.

there are quite a few "japanese atrocity" threads recently.

Out of interest caught an episode of Hell in the Pacific, on history channel or something on saturday, they were interviewing a former Australian nurse whose hospital ship was torpedoed. Eventually all the survivors were rounded up on the beach and the shooting began, the nurse was shot in the back and drifted in the surf unable to show any signs of life as the Japanese were bayoneting the fallen. After some hours she struggled to shore and found all 67 wounded patients were dead and 21 nurses, a couple of days later she entered a womens internee camp but had to hide her wounds for fear of being killed as the only survivor.

The most disturbing thing besides the murders, an insignificant episode from the war that will never be written about in any history book and will be largely forgotten when this lady is gone, is how many more may have occurred where there were no survivors nor eye-witnesses.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by SikorskiUS View Post
    I see you have a very twisted perception of life in general, you think that by dropping two atomic bombs, ,whileist ending the war, and killing thousands of civilians immediately , and thousands more later on thanks to stuff as radiation, all the sickness and diseases caused by it as Karma. Not to even mention all the innocent infants being born with horrible diseases. I think that you sir need to check yourself for a brain.
    In the end, it's your country which dropped those bombs, not mine.

In the end, it's your country which dropped those bombs, not mine.
    Dear Eusebius

I clearly assure you, that my country has never dropped a nuclear bomb, for it is Poland from where I originate. For as long as I may live in the land of the free and the home of the brave, I will probably never feel American trurly at heart, for I dearly hold Poland in my heart. However you had no way of knowing that. I have never approved nor supported the use of nuclear weapons, especially on civilians. I understand why these bombs were dropped. And please instead of going and saying that it was America that has dropped these bombs, rather than meditating on why you have previously stated that
    please check yourself for your mental health, as it clearly shows that you are a deeply disturbed person.

Thank You

Now this concludes our conversation for I do not want to derail this topic even more that it already is, with pointless talk about you and your mental health

If you don't feel like you'll ever truly belong in the US, then kindly leave and work for a stronger Poland.