Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MP.net Dumbarse of the week 19 - 23 November 07

Quote Originally Posted by Ngati Tumatuenga View Post
    But no, I'm simply suggesting he produce a thread where he can robustly debate his flawed and biased opinions with regards the Australian involvement in East Timor.
    I, too, am intrigued by allegations of gross misconduct.

ANZAC Moderator Ngati Tumatauenga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shorty View Post
    Yep your right. Forgive me, it's late and I've got a migraine.
    Think nothing of it, dear fellow.

Avoiding Asshats, Lying Low DeltaWhisky58's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LRPV View Post
    ^^^^^^

That's just plain mean... you're channeling him right into the sights of a well known Scottish gentleman....

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall71 View Post
    As about the actions of Australian Troops in East-Timor, I would not brag too much about it for what I've heard from several different sources and places.
    What have you heard, I was on the ground, I might be able to tell you if your sources are talking out of their ****...

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by javar22 View Post

Those very same public demonstrations were a very strong and honest popular movement. Un-political connected. Please don't denigrate that effort.
    I wasn't denigrating anything. It was Stonewall that was denigrating the Australian effort. I am glad the people of Portugal protested, who knows to what extent that changed UN or Indonesian policy, but it couldn't have hurt.

But to imply that striding around with a placard in the safety of Portugal is somewhere in the same stratosphere as actually putting troops on the ground in Timor, or is more of a sacrifice than actually being the troops on the ground who put their lives on the line for these principles - is utter nonsense.

That was what the Bar nomination was for, it had nothing to do with any criticism of the protestors.

Quote Originally Posted by Calanen View Post
    But to imply that striding around with a placard in the safety of Portugal is somewhere in the same stratosphere as actually putting troops on the ground in Timor, or is more of a sacrifice than actually being the troops on the ground who put their lives on the line for these principles - is utter nonsense.
    Couldn't agree more with your here.
    Yet, Portugal also putted boots on the ground in Timor Leste. Still does.

RIP Leslie Nielsen and Stompin Tom Connors

Thats actually the first acceptance speech of a candidate I have ever seen,although I havent been keeping up to date.
    Seriously, crazy people arent crazy, its everyone else around them thatis bonkers

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Lancero View Post
    Couldn't agree more with your here.
    Yet, Portugal also putted boots on the ground in Timor Leste. Still does.
    Yes, and Malaysia, and New Zealand, and the US....

My comment was directed only towards our hero saying that the heavy lifting for Operation Astute was really done by protesters in Portugal, and was somehow way more important than anything the troops did.

I wasn't denigrating anything. It was Stonewall that was denigrating the Australian effort. I am glad the people of Portugal protested, who knows to what extent that changed UN or Indonesian policy, but it couldn't have hurt.

That was what the Bar nomination was for, it had nothing to do with any criticism of the protestors.
    I will not get into the discussion on who made the best or greatest effort regarding troops deployment. It's not even comparable the ability Australia had/has to deploy reaction forces in that area (or any other for that matter) to that of Portugal. I agree that deploying troops and manifestating are not the same effort: but to talk about that we would have to analise the whole political history of these events in the UN.

I understood your remark as an effort of denigrating that popular movement - if i understood it uncorrectly, i apologise. I also understood ngati's first assessment likewise (at the end of his initial post)

And, as lancero said it, we too had/have men on the ground. I'm in a position to debate with real and up to date info on this matter (wich i would rather not...).

Yes, and Malaysia, and New Zealand, and the US....

My comment was directed only towards our hero saying that the heavy lifting for Operation Astute was really done by protesters in Portugal, and was somehow way more important than anything the troops did.

All's good. Didn't mean to imply portuguese made more than others.

eye candy of death 2Sheds_Jackson's Avatar

Oh dear. I think he is looking for a Bar on his DAOTW medal.
    hey - a little off topic here - but do we have an actual medal / ribbon etc. for the DAOTW? Shouldn't the weekly award be accompanied by a ceremonial presentation of said award in it's felt-lined box? Repeat winners should be able to get a device on it, as you say...

Quote Originally Posted by 2Sheds_Jackson View Post
    hey - a little off topic here - but do we have an actual medal / ribbon etc. for the DAOTW? Shouldn't the weekly award be accompanied by a ceremonial presentation of said award in it's felt-lined box? Repeat winners should be able to get a device on it, as you say...
    If I remember correctly CJ is quite the designer, we might ask him.

Must have been a real slow week

And thus the circle is complete.