Page 1303 of 1303 FirstFirst ... 303803120312531293129512961297129812991300130113021303
Results 19,531 to 19,543 of 19543

Thread: General Car Discussion

  1. #19531
    Senior Member Derbedeu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    There's a reason those who can afford it aren't buying Mclarens or Porsches and everyone with real money is buying Ferraris. Not even Lamborghini comes close to Ferrari, they mostly exist in attention horing circles.
    They buy Ferrari's because they're Ferrari's. It's a status symbol, and the ultimate one at that. When you own a Ferrari, people don't ask you about your car, they ask about you and what you do.

    Not to mention that Porsche as a company/brand isn't even on Ferraris level, they play below Ferraris cheapest model and are in Maserati territory, though even Maserati has announced that they won't stoop as low as Porsche and will price their products higher than Porsche, effectively leaving Porsche to be the bargain "luxury" brand for those looking to get bling, a badge and "status" on the cheap. 2/3 Porsche sales are VW/Audi based SUVs and their limousine, only 1/3 of their sales are sports cars. That will only worsen to 1/4 now that they slotted a rebadged Audi Q5 underneath the already very cheap Cayenne. Porsche now competes with Acura and Infiniti.
    Porsche competes with Acura and Infiniti? Sure thing bud.....

    There are many reasons Ferrari sells so well, and automagazine or youtube reviews are none of them. There's more to it than three or four dry numbers. It's the same way in the lower price range, or otherwise many cars and brands wouldn't be what they are because there are other cars that match 3-4 dry numbers in different metrics that are important to the kind of car, yet they still don't sell as well. Ford Mustangs in the 90s and 80s probably matched or beat BMW 3 in the important metrics, yet the BMW didn't cease to exist and outsold them. There are probably many sports cars that match the 911 numbers, yet it continued to sell and outlived those models. People make the wrong assumption that at the top it's only about a few numbers, because that's all they ever see or hear from those cars, because they haven't and probably will never drive them, so they make it all about the only things they know about them. It's understandable, but one has to be smarter than that, and realize that it's a fallacy.
    Lol dude, Mustangs were **** in the 80's and 90's and in no way compared to Beemers. The V6 put out 145 hp and the GT (V8 version) a paltry 215 in the 90s.

    And your whole argument falls flat based on the fact that Ferrari is the only premier car company to have whole teams devoted to their press cars with the sole purpose of eking out better numbers. So clearly for Ferrari it's become nothing but dry numbers, which is sad seeing as to how there's more to cars than dry numbers. They most of all should be aware of that, yet they are too frightened to put their products to the test, which is a shame seeing as they are some of the best cars around.

  2. #19532
    Senior Member T-5 Killer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Albuquerque, NM
    Age
    33
    Posts
    6,241

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Derbedeu View Post
    Lol dude, Mustangs were **** in the 80's and 90's and in no way compared to Beemers. The V6 put out 145 hp and the GT (V8 version) a paltry 215 in the 90s.
    To bad there was 235HP-240HP Cobras in the early '90s (93, and '94 '95) and the E36 M3 in the US market was 240HP... But I do agree they are apples and oranges. A better comparo would have been the Mustangs to Camaro where the HP gap was pretty big 215hp to 275hp and the Mustang still out sold the Camaro 4 to 1. As you stated HP/performance #s isn't everything when it comes to selling cars.
    Last edited by T-5 Killer; 4 Days Ago at 03:56 PM.

  3. #19533
    Senior Member LoboCanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    So basically, people with money buy Ferrari's and porshe's mostly due to brand recognition, and many probably don't take the time and have the interest like us car nuts to watch and read all of the car reviews, they know a guy who has "X" model Ferrari, like it, and buy something similar.

    Or,

    They buy X car because it has a 0-60 of 1.1 seconds over the Y model when they will never actually take it past 5th gear.

  4. #19534
    Senior Member Derbedeu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,625

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by T-5 Killer View Post
    To bad there was 235HP-240HP Cobras in the early '90s (93, and '94 '95) and the E36 M3 in the US market was 240HP... But I do agree they are apples and oranges. A better comparo would have been the Mustangs to Camaro where the HP gap was pretty big 215hp to 275hp and the Mustang still out sold the Camaro 4 to 1. As you stated HP/performance #s isn't everything when it comes to selling cars.
    Personally I've never been a fan of the Mustang. The only version that ever appealed to me was the Mach 1.

  5. #19535
    Senior Member Ledanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in your sisters closet
    Posts
    2,657

    Question

    Attention Subaru Forester Owners

    need some tire suggestions, base tire size 16"???, all weather (Illinois)...60 miles/day commuter

    spreadsheet not needed....this time.

    thanks

  6. #19536
    Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Attention Subaru Forester Owners

    need some tire suggestions, base tire size 16"???, all weather (Illinois)...60 miles/day commuter

    spreadsheet not needed....this time.

    thanks

    Kumhos are great if you are on budget. Korean engines-that-could - as good as big name brands quality-wise but for 30% less. Been running 16" all seasons on my Camry for 2 years now, and the tread is still strong enough to drive in the winter. Quiet and handle very well.

    Continentals if you are not on budget, but looking for quality bang for your buck. German, so enough said.
    I know it's not all season, but with their ExtremeWinterContacts I can do 80km/h in Canadian snowstorms quite comfortably on fwd car with close to 300lb of tq. Next set I'm definitely switching out from all-season crappy Dunlops which came with the GTi to summer Contis.

  7. #19537
    Senior Member LoboCanada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    3,541

    Default

    r
    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Attention Subaru Forester Owners

    need some tire suggestions, base tire size 16"???, all weather (Illinois)...60 miles/day commuter

    spreadsheet not needed....this time.

    thanks
    Summer = Stock tires
    Winter = Pirelli winter tires

  8. #19538
    Senior Member Ledanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in your sisters closet
    Posts
    2,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoboCanada View Post
    r

    Summer = Stock tires
    Winter = Pirelli winter tires
    Didn't win the lottery and no room for tires in the garage.
    Really want the best, but, I don't make the best earning potential...I'm leaning towards Dunlap and Yokohama

    btw...over 1,000,000 miles on OEM tire.

  9. #19539
    Senior Member Chomiq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Poland
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,725

    Default

    Some car purn:


    New R8 V10 Plus...

  10. #19540
    Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    Didn't win the lottery and no room for tires in the garage.
    Really want the best, but, I don't make the best earning potential...I'm leaning towards Dunlap and Yokohama

    btw...over 1,000,000 miles on OEM tire.


    Dunlops are **** bro. Trust me here. I'm getting wheel slips on 4th gear shifts during aggressive acceleration on their supposedly sporty SP Sport AS 18" low profiles. People on forums reporting sidewall bubbles at as low as 4k.

    Yokos tend to be soft. Fast wear and not good for winter.

    That's the Kumhos i use btw: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Solus+KR21

  11. #19541
    Senior Member Ledanek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in your sisters closet
    Posts
    2,657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    Dunlops are **** bro. Trust me here. I'm getting wheel slips on 4th gear shifts during aggressive acceleration on their supposedly sporty SP Sport AS 18" low profiles. People on forums reporting sidewall bubbles at as low as 4k.

    Yokos tend to be soft. Fast wear and not good for winter.

    That's the Kumhos i use btw: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Solus+KR21
    thanks for the heads up about Dunlops. I'll look into the Kumhos
    P215/65R16 Kumho Solus KR21 Blackwall $81/each =$324/four tires
    and see how much Firestone installers will charge (per Tire Rack dot com)

  12. #19542
    Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ledanek View Post
    thanks for the heads up about Dunlops. I'll look into the Kumhos
    P215/65R16 Kumho Solus KR21 Blackwall $81/each =$324/four tires
    and see how much Firestone installers will charge (per Tire Rack dot com)

    I paid around 110, but that's Canada for you. Similar offerings from the big name brands were starting at 190.

    For a daily commuter they are perfect.

  13. #19543
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Euro-City, German sector
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chomiq View Post
    Some car purn:


    peasant-friendly Lamborghini Huracan
    fixed for ya

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •