Thread: General Car Discussion

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Last of the good looking 7 series in my (not so humble and somewhat biased) opinion.
    It's one of my all-time favorites from BMW, but yeah. Pretty ugly decade afterward. I like the newest ones a lot more, though.

Last of the good looking 7 series in my (not so humble and somewhat biased) opinion.
    Agreed I love those 7s. Great looking bodystyle. IMHO that was the last era of good looking BMWs.

Škoda VisionC ..which is most probably concept of the new Superb which will be introduced at the end of this year.

Hennessey Venom GT beat Bugatti's record!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	215562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	248.3 KB 
ID:	215562

Saw this over the weekend at the beach.. Guy driving it was 80 years old. Balln

Quote Originally Posted by seventy6er View Post
    Nice. The new 328i has nearly 250 hp and is a 4-cylinder. I don't like the downsizing-policy at all. I've been driving the new AMG A45 the last two days noow. Definitely not a bad car, but I personally prefer torque and V8. That lil ****er is AWD and got 360 hp and only 2.0 litres...
    That's the future, like it or not. Smaller displacement, forced induction...
    There is probably something to it but for me, the will be no replacement for displacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosoul View Post
    Nice! Love those E38s. They look best with those wheels, and silver/black is always sharp.
    X2. That was a great generation design wise and she is a beaut.

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

1925 Rolls-Royce Phantom I Jonckheere Coupe

Washed, waxed, polished, etc. yesterday. Just in time for it to rain today...

What is the car's reliability like? I thought about getting one for the longest time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattfink View Post
    That's the future, like it or not. Smaller displacement, forced induction...
    There is probably something to it but for me, the will be no replacement for displacement.
    Sure it's the future, still love the old M156/M159 6.208 ccm V8.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kombattant View Post
    What is the car's reliability like? I thought about getting one for the longest time.
    Only just had it for a year now and so far so good (knocks on wood). Only mechanical fault I've had with it was self inflicted (ran over large bit of tree and broke power steering pump). Oh, and 2 x speeding fines...

I've really enjoyed driving it - even if most of the km's it does are to work and back again.

Only just had it for a year now and so far so good (knocks on wood). Only mechanical fault I've had with it was self inflicted (ran over large bit of tree and broke power steering pump). Oh, and 2 x speeding fines...

I've really enjoyed driving it - even if most of the km's it does are to work and back again.
    What engine is it mate?

Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    What engine is it mate?
    V8 4.5l, good for tonking up and down the autobahn at 200km, less useful for sticking to the NZ motorway speed limit...

The BMW V8's are supposed to be a lot more reliable than the 5l V12's...

Has mall ninja experience Sashko's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kombattant View Post
    She is indeed the sexiest 7 ever made, but prepare to open up the wallet big time. I had the same generation 540 (e39) and could not handle the bills for more than a year and a half. I had a broken in half wooden broom handle propping up the rear window because the (all plastic ) window motor shattered from age and the new one was like $700. Dropped about 2k into suspension with no noticible results. Half of the interiror light did not work. Squeaks, rattles and the general sense of the car falling apart were ever present. Reaching a destination without some small thing breaking down was considered a good day.
    The engine was about the only reliable thing in that car, which is not that much of an achievement for big v8 blocks.

After that experience, no warranty no German car for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashko View Post
    She is indeed the sexiest 7 ever made, but prepare to open up the wallet big time. I had the same generation 540 (e39) and could not handle the bills for more than a year and a half. I had a broken in half wooden broom handle propping up the rear window because the (all plastic ) window motor shattered from age and the new one was like $700. Dropped about 2k into suspension with no noticible results. Half of the interiror light did not work. Squeaks, rattles and the general sense of the car falling apart were ever present. Reaching a destination without some small thing breaking down was considered a good day.
    The engine was about the only reliable thing in that car, which is not that much of an achievement for big v8 blocks.

After that experience, no warranty no German car for me.
    In my neck of the woods the big thing to look out for is ex-Japan BMW's (and Mercs/Audis/etc.). There seems to be some kind of rule in Japan that anything sold there has to contain some %age of Japanese parts so you end up with Toyota parts scattered in among the engine and these are notorious of breaking (and being charged for at a similar level to their German equivalent).