Page 50 of 53 FirstFirst ... 40424344454647484950515253 LastLast

Thread: Vietnam war era pics of special units, LRRPS, MACV SOG,AATV,SEALS,FFL,GREEN BERETS...

I saw some pictures of USN Seals wearing blue jeans. My question is what the reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by DID View Post
    I saw some pictures of USN Seals wearing blue jeans. My question is what the reason for that?
    They held up much better to the constant wear and tear of their wet AO (primarily the Delta region with its rivers and canals), plus they offered more protection from thorns and leaches.

I believe that the Navy has always worn blue jeans for work uniform.

[*******#333333]Hope not a repost:[/COLOR]

The house with the black van infront of the door (day 5)

About the Ravens docu. In part 4 at around 1:50 you'll see a C-123 or a C-7 dropping some kind of incendiary ordonance. Any idea what exactly that is?

Quote Originally Posted by dewafrost View Post

who are those vietnamase personel, are they ARVN or CIDG?????
    Dunno if this has been answered yet but that is a SOG CCN recon team, although I'm not sure which team. Circa 1969.

Just found this thread, wanted to say thank you all.

Referring to a bit of an old post but I'm not totally sure this is a Kiwi pilot. He's definitely navy of somewhere, whether he was an RNZN pilot I'm not totally certain. I know the RNZAF sent pilots to 9 Squadron and they flew operationally in the war but I didn't think it happened for RNZN aircrew. So I'm a little doubtful but happy to be proven wrong.

@ Zorro I just checked my copy of Target Charlie which is a comprehensive history of Australian aviation in Vietnam and it mentions the 16 RNZAF pilots who flew with 9 Squadron RAAF during the war but no mention of any RNZN personnel. However 9 Sqn did have a small detachment of Royal Australian Navy pilots for about a year and with a little googling I found this pic of their commander, RAN Lieutenant Commander R.A Waddell-Wood, who is the spitting image of the bloke in the picture.

Look at that! Nice work Sandy. Thanks for the info, sometimes the old brain gets it reasonably right!

Thks for the photos ! Tiger *****es is the best cam ever...

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/9...rdabnin196.jpg
    One question please, without disrespect what were the limits for eyeglasses wearing persons ? i dont see them in recent photos of special forces from around the globe (except those protection things) i know about lasik and other modern stuff. For someone with myopia its really bad to not have glasses on when looking at a distance and/or night. I repeat its just a question out of curiosity and nothing else, thanks.

Jim Bolen, 1-0 of RT Auger before a mission (as a door gunner on a Huey gunship...)

I have just posted the first of a series of interviews with SOG legend Jim Bolen. They include a lot of his own photos, and his explanations of what they show, and I'm going to post one interview a month.

This is the first: http://peteralanlloyd.com/general-ne...oss-the-fence/
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

^ Interesting, thanks!
    Be advised: there's a dedicated MACVSOG thread: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...52378-MACV-SOG

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

The Australian SAS sent a squadron of soldiers for year–long tours to South Vietnam in the period 1966-1971. In 1971 the Squadron that was last to tour consisted of several patrols, The Vietnamese referred to the Australian SAS as the “phantoms of the jungle”, B9S23 was one of those patrols and consisted of: Comd: Graham Brammer, OAM;
    2IC: Johannes (Hans) Fleer, AM DCM; (far left)
    Scout: Robert (Bob) Kilsby;
    Signaller: Ian (Snow) Lawrance; and
    Medic/Demolition Man: Hartley Smithwick.

Colonel Hans Fleer, AM. DCM. the Honorary Colonel of 2 Commando Regiment, passed away yesterday.
    COL Fleer was originally from 6 RAR and SASR and was instrumental in the raising of the Full time Commando Capability in 4 RAR (Cdo) in the very early days. He played a huge role in the guidance and influence of many a young and aspiring Commando coming through the selection courses in those early years.
    He was affectionately called 'The Ice Man" by those who had known him due to his no nonsense look he gave you through his piercing cold blue eyes, as he didn't look at you, he looked through you.
    COL Fleer was bestowed the honour of the being 2 Commando Regiments first Honoury Colonel in 2012. He is a legend and an icon to those from the SAS that knew him and to those of the original full time Commando Capability.
    Hans did two 1 year tours of South Viet Nam with only a month separating them, he received a Distinguished Conduct Medal while serving with 6RAR and went on to complete SASR selection and return to Viet Nam 9 months after his second tour to do another 8 month tour as a SASR Patrol 2IC.

Lest We Forget, RIP.