Page 7 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Vietnam war era pics of special units, LRRPS, MACV SOG,AATV,SEALS,FFL,GREEN BERETS...

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

Quote Originally Posted by The Saint View Post
    Is it me, or do they look like reenactors ?

just look at their boots

Definitely not reenactors. They are Vietnamese veterans of the Strategic Technical Directorate Biet Kich (Vietnamese MACVSOG).Them putting their gear on again has something to do with a tv special about the unit IIRC.
    These guys as well as the Yards were the best allies the US had over there inmy opinion.

Learn more about them here:
    - http://ngothelinh.tripod.com/History.html

- http://community.webshots.com/user/hoapham.

Quote Originally Posted by Christophe View Post
    Definitely not reenactors. They are Vietnamese veterans of the Strategic Technical Directorate Biet Kich (Vietnamese MACVSOG).Them putting their gear on again has something to do with a tv special about the unit IIRC.
    These guys as well as the Yards were the best allies the US had over there inmy opinion.

Learn more about them here:
    - http://ngothelinh.tripod.com/History.html

- http://community.webshots.com/user/hoapham.
    Thanks for the info. Veterans was a second thought.

Quote from AWM
    "Portrait of 2137410, Warrant Officer Class 2 (WO2) Terence John Egan, Australian Army Training Team Vietnam (AATTV), who served in South Vietnam from 1967 to 1968. He is kitted out with US style ammunition pouches which are attached to his belt upside down and he appears to be wearing a non issue black shirt, similar to those worn by the Viet Cong. The insignia of the AATTV is attached to his bush hat. He is armed with an American 5.56 mm Colt Commando, CAR-15, automatic carbine, which are derived from the M16 family of automatic rifles."

http://cas.awm.gov.au/TST2/cas_disp_...s_level=Public

The insig on the Boonie hat is a RAINF corps badge. It is too early for him to be wearing the AATV hat badge which came out later. I love the Garand Belt worn up side down with 20 Rd M-16 mags in it. The belt can carry 10 mags. Also note the early 30rd mag on the Wpn. I am so going to put together this set from items in my collection

AWM Quote "SOUTH VIETNAM. C 1966. TWO HAND PICKED VIETNAMESE SCOUTS OF MGF-759 FIRING SILENCED BRITISH STEN MK5 MACHINE GUNS ON A RANGE IN CORPS I AREA."

Should read Sten Mk IIs.

http://cas.awm.gov.au/TST2/cas_disp_...s_level=Public

Quote Originally Posted by Mr X View Post

AWM Quote "Sten Mk IIs.

Cool pic!!! thanks!

another SF soldier with silenced sten

RIP Leslie Nielsen and Stompin Tom Connors

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I think it's amazing to see how much less gear these guys were carrying around back then - specifically the pics about the Son Tay raiders. Imagine how much kit guys on a similar mission would carry today.

Great pics everyone, thanks for contributing.
    I remembering reading that some of the LRRP guys would be carrying up to 25 mags on them.Now it didnt say whether 20 or 30 rounders, but still thats just the ammo, no water,comms etc weighed in.Either way these guys where lighter than today, also because they didnt have any PPE.

A-14 Team, 5th Special Forces Detachment, prepare medication for a resident of Chau-Lang hamlet

Sergeants Larry Manes and Raymond Echevarria of the A-14 Team, 5th Special Forces Detachment, inspect punji stakes at Chau-Lang hamlet in An Giang Province

Members of the A-14 Team, 5th Special Forces Detachment, observe the construction underway at Chau-Lang hamlet

SSG. Coy, 503rd Mobile Strike Force, 5th Special Forces Group, (ABN), gives parachuting instructions. Nha Trang, 14th October 1967

Sergeant Archie Hicks, A team, 5th Special Forces Group, uses an AN-GRC-109 radio to request verification of a report from an outpost

Special Forces Captain Edward Rybat and Vietnamese Lieutenant Huyen Phuoc Thoi

Vietnamese Strike Forces and their U.S. Army Special Forces advisors take a look at a map during a mission

This pic looks like it could be from the 80's

Probably not. By the mid-late 70's most of the canvas items that are part of his LBE were made of nylon. Also, in the U.S. Army, the BDU was authorized for wear in October 1981 and the MERDC uniform he's wearing started to disappear soon after that. I think someone said that the picture came from a website with Vietnam-era pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Airman OCCS View Post

This pic looks like it could be from the 80's
    No way. By the 1980's 30 rd mags were being carried in Alice pouches not ad hoc in water bottle carriers.

I wish people would get over this pic. He is a ranger in VN. So what if he's a big bloke. He might be a senior NCO or even a company grade mustang officer.

BTW he may have a 5qt water bottle down the front of his jacket SASR style.

Excellent Thread!!1

MAAG Advisor Captain William Johnston discusses the defense of outpost Ly Van Manh with Captain Tran Tien Khang

Sergeant Howard Stevens, Advisor to the 77th Ranger Det, conducts a class on care and maintenance of the M-1 rifle

Vietnamese Rangers receive a course of instruction on demolitions from an advisor to the 77th Ranger Detachment

Madame Ho Thi Que, The Tiger Lady, courageously served in combat with the South Vietnamese 44th Ranger Battalion

2nd Lt. Carl Conn looks on as a civilian bus leaves the road in order to by-pass holes dug by the Viet Cong