Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Riding Shotgun AH-64 Apache Style

Thumbs up Riding Shotgun AH-64 Apache Style

Came across these today. I thought they were pretty cool. Never knew you could cruise on the outside of the helicopter like that. I posted the caption they came with. Hope this is the right place for em'....

"In the extreme case of a battlefield or natural disaster area rescue, the pilot or co-pilot of an AH-64 Apache will ride on the outside of the helicopter so the passenger(s) can sit inside. At Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo, Aug. 25, Soldiers practice the tricky operation. Photo by Sgt. Stephen Proctor"

I belive I read a story of an evac beeing done like this a while back.

Cant quite remember the story but maybe someone else does

Didnt the brits do something like this. They tied themselves to the wings of an apache and flew back into a "hot spot" to retrieve a fallan comrade. I cant remember exactly the story. I think it was the royal marines in Iraq or Afghanistan, Im sorry I cant remember. The story was on this site though.

The Royal Marine rescue in Iraq was one case where that technique was used, if you search around you can find the gun cam footage from the other AH-64 that was involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

this maybe?

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...d.php?t=102704

Quote Originally Posted by Andreas View Post

Were you talking about the U.S. Marine Cobra that evac'd some SF Operators in Afstan?

From August 29th, 2007:

[A Multi-National Task Force (East) Soldier rides shotgun. [*******#008000]In the extreme case of a battlefield or natural disaster area rescue, the pilot or co-pilot of an AH-64 Apache will ride on the outside of the helicopter so the passenger(s) can sit inside. At Camp Bondsteel, Kosovo, Aug. 25, Soldiers practice the tricky operation.[/COLOR]
    The British Rescue of Royal Marine Lance Corporal Matthew Ford was on January 15th, 2007
    (video in link above)

Capt Ryan Welch rescue by AH-64D on Oct. 16th, 2004
    Capt Ryan Welch, 29, of Lebanon, N.H. an AH-64D Apache Longbow pilot sits strapped to the outside of his helicopter as CWO2 Justin Taylor, 28, of Lodi, Ca. looks out from his gunner position inside the aircraft. The two pilots are both with the 1st Battalion 227th Aviation Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division and were recently involved in a Oct. 16 rescue mission where Welch strapped himself , as demonstrated, to his aircraft so that one of the injured pilots could sit in the front seat. After recovering the pilots they flew over 20 kilometers to the nearest Combat Support Hospital.(US Army Photo by Cpl Benjamin Cossel, 122nd MPAD)

Army Capt. Ryan Welch demonstrates the carabiner and nylon strap he used to attach himself to the outside of his AH-64D Apache Longbow helicopter during the rescue of two downed pilots. Photo by Cpl. Benjamin Cossel, USA

and the original shotgun rescue was in early in A'stan on a SuperCobra:

Last edited by He219; 01-05-2008 at 01:49 AM.

What must the decibel reading be, a little over a meter from the turbine blades? A thousand db?

I hate this bulldog, regards Johnnycab SOG's Avatar

probably a little less loud than 30 taliban dancing around you screaming allah akbar and firing their AK's in the air.

where is that "shotgun" name coming from
    always wanted to know

Quote Originally Posted by erazer76 View Post
    where is that "shotgun" name coming from
    always wanted to know
    It came from the early Wild West days when the person riding in front of the covered wagon had a shotgun to ward off any Indians or what-have-you.

Actually, I don't know where it came from. This explanation just sounds pretty reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
    It came from the early Wild West days when the person riding in front of the covered wagon had a shotgun to ward off any Indians or what-have-you.

Actually, I don't know where it came from. This explanation just sounds pretty reasonable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riding_shotgun
    The first known reference to "riding shotgun" in print occurred on 27 March 1861, when it was used to refer to riding as an armed guard in the front of a stagecoach. Such guards often used shotguns, hence the expression. The first use of the phrase in print to refer to automobiles occurred in 1954 when the TV series Gunsmoke became extremely popular, and used the terminology of riding shotgun nearly weekly.

The apache rescue was in afghanistan at juggrum fort last januaruy. im quite good mates with the two blokes that did it

I recall when I was working at my summer job in the SF VAMC, cnn had a story about an apache that got shot down in Iraq and the crew was able to get evac'd by one of their wingmen that did this trick.

Found in another site --