Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: US Property No4 MK1 Enfield

Hey everyone, look at me, I'm the only important one here...

Default US Property No4 MK1 Enfield

I picked one of these up today for $65.

I'm not sure that it's a Savage made Lend Lease rifle, as it did not have(from what I've seen online) the standard Savage markings.

So is there anyone on here(HOLLis?) that might be able to give a little bit of background information on these?

THe bolt does not match, but it's not in bad shape, and the bore looks good.

I'll post a few pics later.

I picked this up, along with an Ariska(with bayonet) and a VZ52 for a couple of my shooting buddies to look over.
    My father-in-laws nephew is selling a few rifles off .

Quote Originally Posted by Geezah View Post
    I picked one of these up today for $65.

I'm not sure that it's a Savage made Lend Lease rifle, as it did not have(from what I've seen online) the standard Savage markings.

So is there anyone on here(HOLLis?) that might be able to give a little bit of background information on these?

THe bolt does not match, but it's not in bad shape, and the bore looks good.

I'll post a few pics later.

I picked this up, along with an Ariska(with bayonet) and a VZ52 for a couple of my shooting buddies to look over.
    My father-in-laws nephew is selling a few rifles off .

Look for "S" on the stock and rifle, I need to look at mine. That is a good price, if it is clean. Might want to check the head space.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...eno4/index.asp

Quote Originally Posted by HOLLiS View Post
    Look for "S" on the stock and rifle, I need to look at mine. That is a good price, if it is clean. Might want to check the head space.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...eno4/index.asp
    I checked out that link before posting. I checked and there isn't an S marking in front of the No$ MK1. There is an S above the serial# on the metal band behind the receiver.

Also, how do I go about checking the head space, this is a first for me, as I've always purchased new?

I checked out that link before posting. I checked and there isn't an S marking in front of the No$ MK1. There is an S above the serial# on the metal band behind the receiver.

Also, how do I go about checking the head space, this is a first for me, as I've always purchased new?

All you really need is a No Go head space guage, 12 -22 dollars at Brownell. Insert guage and the bolt should NOT go into battery.

Or fire a round and carefully inspect the case........... Problem with this method, if the round disassembles the rifle, it can do serious distruction to the shooter too. This is not recommended unless

If you bought it from someone who has shot it, then at least you have a idea that is will shoot.

or have a gunsmith do it.

All you really need is a No Go head space guage, 12 -22 dollars at Brownell. Insert guage and the bolt should NOT go into battery.

Or fire a round and carefully inspect the case........... Problem with this method, if the round disassembles the rifle, it can do serious distruction to the shooter too. This is not recommended unless

If you bought it from someone who has shot it, then at least you have a idea that is will shoot.

or have a gunsmith do it.

I puchased it from extended family, and I did ask the question as to whether or not he had shot it. He said it worked fine, and I trust his judgement, as I have shot with him in the past but to be on the safe side I think I will see if one of the guys I shoot with could bring a head space gauge to a little get together we're having next Saturday.

Federov Avtomat, FTW!

My Mk4 has an asterisk on the end to show it was an american made lee enfield... ie it is a Mk4* number 4 model rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by GazB View Post
    My Mk4 has an asterisk on the end to show it was an american made lee enfield... ie it is a Mk4* number 4 model rifle.
    I have a no1 MkIII*. My understanding is that the * designates an newer version than the original No1 MKIII rather than where it was built. Can anyone confirm? Hollis?

Mk4s are nice.
    Last edited by T3ngu; 01-13-2008 at 10:20 PM.

Here are the pics,

Has anyone sen the grooves in the top wood before?

Let me know if you need any more pics?

Has anyone sen the grooves in the top wood before?

I have one ( in storage) With the grooves manufactured in 1950, issued to me brand new out of the wrapping in '92-'93 from Canadian "War-stocks"

yes. that is made by Savage.

I've got your hardwood.... right here Durandal's Avatar

[Back from the grave sort of]

Awesome looking rifle Geezah. I must have missed the whole "I am going to the OGCA show" at dinner the other night...I was on my 4th liter of beer when they kicked us out.

You need to talk to Swingset, he knows Enfields more than any guy I know.

Back to my hole.

Oh, and hey there Hollis!

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    [Back from the grave sort of]

Awesome looking rifle Geezah. I must have missed the whole "I am going to the OGCA show" at dinner the other night...I was on my 4th liter of beer when they kicked us out.

You need to talk to Swingset, he knows Enfields more than any guy I know.

Back to my hole.

Oh, and hey there Hollis!
    Hey...........Durandal

I have a Friend who is my Enfield advisor. I am so so not so good.

My secret is that I hang around people much smarter than me.

I've got your hardwood.... right here Durandal's Avatar

My secret is that I hang around people much smarter than me.
    Me to, well, that and "they own lots of NFA goodies" too.

Here are the pics,

Let me know if you need any more pics?
    As I procastinate way too much I found this which was interesting...

No4 and No5 rifle were given a starting number that may be used to identify manufacturers, but again there was no set serial blocks. British No4 rifles were set up with a 5 digit serial number system with 1XXXX being allotted to Maltby, 2XXXX [*******black]Fazakerley, 3XXXX BSA Shirley. Yet again, once the sequence of numbers caped out letter prefixes were used to start the sequence over. In the case of Savage Stevens the serial numbers began with a 0C1 and for Long Branch 0L1, these serials progressed in sequence directly relating the serial number to the number of rifles produced. An example would be: rifle serial number 52C2689 would be the 522,689th rifle produced by Savage Stevens. [/COLOR]

[*******black]Found it source
    [/COLOR]
    [*******black] If that is correct you have the 343162th rifle produced by BSA Shirley which is obviously wrong. A little more digging found this about the S on the rifle.

[/COLOR]
    Savage Stevens trademark, found on all parts manufactured by them at their Chicopee Falls, USA, plant while producing No4 MkI and MkI* Lee Enfields for the British government under the Lend Lease program.
    [*******black]source

Also under the 1942 is the US Military's flaming bomb which is the acceptance mark.

Probably way too much info but interesting none the less. Nice rifle, i particularily like the rear sight which is a big improvement on the No1 MK3*.

Cheers
    [/COLOR]

zomgdeltaairsofter101 Sheikh Al Stranghi's Avatar

Nice rifle. My next bolt action will be a P17