Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: FBI Field Jacket: Illegal to wear?

Default FBI Field Jacket: Illegal to wear?

Hi folks. While in Korea, I picked up an FBI blue windbreaker, the kind you always see on TV (blue with big yellow "FBI" letters in the chest, both arms, and back). Seeing as how lots of American-worn clothes are manufactured in Asia, it may or may not be an issue item. I'm leaning towards it probably being an actual issue jacket because the "FBI" font is the same as the ones you see in the news, and inside it has a tag with a company name & generic law-enforcement badges pictured on it, and beneath that it reads something to the effect of, "Makers of Fine Law Enforcement Clothing for over 50 Years" (paraphrased). I'm not sure exactly what the tag says because the jacket's in storage right now, in a box under a pile of boxes, and if I'm not allowed to wear it in public I'd rather not dig through it to get that one item out. I'm just curious because while I was in Korea I freely wore it around to go to the mall, shopping, or sightseeing (being a US law enforcement agency it had no jurisdiction -- or meaning -- to the average Korean). In Korea, they also sold full-sized US police badges complete with badge numbers: NYPD, LAPD, and various other police departments. Again, since these are symbols of US-based law enforcement authority, any Koreans who may have bought them probably used them as fashion accessories. I know that in the US, it's illegal to buy and wear a full-sized police badge, but I'm wondering if the same thing applies to the FBI jacket. Does anyone know for sure if wearing one in public would constitute "impersonating an officer" or a similar offense? How about wearing it at Halloween?
    BTW the reason I'm asking is that as winter winds down, it's time to break out my light-weather jackets and I forgot I actually had this one until I saw one on TV.

^^^ Jacket just like this one.

It's probably highly illegal to wear that jacket in USA, but totally OK in Korea. So simple

Impersonating (even if unintentionally) a federal agent is a felony. If I were you I would have written down the address and contact info of the store you purchased it at and handed it over to the authorities. Can you imagine the consequences of an individual using those items (badges, clothing etc.) to gain entrance into a facility with the intent to cause harm?

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

It's probably not cool. Plus some skell might shoot you in the back while you're walking down the street.

I have a Secret Service one a buddy gave me when I was a cop. It sits in the closet next to my SEAL Team 2 hat that another friend gave me...It's kinda cool but seriously, where do you wear the thing...

Quote Originally Posted by apasc08 View Post
    Impersonating (even if unintentionally) a federal agent is a felony. If I were you I would have written down the address and contact info of the store you purchased it at and handed it over to the authorities. Can you imagine the consequences of an individual using those items (badges, clothing etc.) to gain entrance into a facility with the intent to cause harm?
    There is hundreds of stores selling FBI caps, shirts, jackets and so on. Every shop outside USA is totally OK so why bother? :P

Senior Member I'mOnlyHalfPolish's Avatar

i picked up an FBI Academy polo shirt at a Goodwill in Houston...wear it all the time but I would say no-go on the FBI jacket. Impersonation will get you a hefty fine/prison time I would assume.

A kid (he was a douche of a cousin to Heidi Fleiss) in my high school had a blue windbraker like that but "POLICE" designation - he wore it for about half a day in and outside of the school. LAPD was soon looking for his ass in the usual school ditching places but he had sense to ditch the jacket rather fast...

It's a big no-no and you won't go further than the first cop who knows how to read

18 US Codes Sec. 912. Officer or employee of the United States

-STATUTE-

Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee

acting under the authority of the United States or any department,

agency or officer thereof, and acts as such, or in such pretended

character demands or obtains any money, paper, document, or thing

of value, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more

than three years, or both.

I don't think it's illegal to wear as soon as you don't act like a FBI agent. It's just a jacket not a FBI shield.

If I was in your position, I would find an FBI agent and ask them if they wanna buy a cheap jacket.

"Whoever falsely assumes or pretends to be an officer or employee". The FBI or for that matter the Department of Defense/Federal government does not like it when you pretend to be to a war hero, military officer, and yes even a Federal agent. Unless you are in a sound stage for a movie/TV show. Do not wear it. If you like to explain to them in their office or court why you were just goofing around and did not mean anything by it.
    Last edited by bshnt2015; 02-09-2008 at 09:33 AM. Reason: common sense

Don't wear it in america. It's an 'official' jacket sort of. You can wear fbi t shirts and hats, but not the jacket, that's going overboard imo. Same with police patches. Civvies aren't allowed to have 'police' patches.

Let me see....

Wear in Korea= gay
    Wear in USA without beeing an actual fed=gay, illigal and stupid

A LAPD cap or a t-shirt that says Federal Booty Inspector will fly, but walking around in a jacket that says in capitol letter FBI is as i mentioned...

Good luck

Cheers
    Andreas

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Why in God's name would you want to wear an FBI raid jacket? If its a fake you look like a tool. If it real you look like on of those poor kids that get a wish for a day...It shows bad situational awareness. We see the kids in training all over town wearing their agency lanyards, student ID's and "funny" agency/ FLETC t-shirts; they look stupid. Its like wearing a band varsity jacket.

I have bought dope wearing one the the shirts that said, "Undercover Cop" on it. The dealer thought it was funny, right up until he got arrested....

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

Hahahahahaha.