Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Yugoslav Partisans in ww2 - Read the first post carefully!

Infinite point of chaos, in silent contemplation

Default Yugoslav Partisans in ww2 - Read the first post carefully!

The Balkan thread ban is over.

For the time being.

Be warned however, it can and will return if our Balkan members lapse back into the usual spasms of stupidity.

Keep all historical discussion to the period 2001 and after. Do not engage in discussion of events prior to that.

That pertains particularly to historical photo threads prior to 2000.

Asking questions about uniforms, weapons, formations, etc, is acceptable.

Any trolling or flaming will be met with summary banning.

wanted to create a thread about the yugoslav partisans
    Post any pics of them here
    Flaming,insults,etc. are not wanted here

Here are some pictures:

Headquarters of the 43. division,Joza Skofilic-politkom,Savo Vukelic-commander,Gojko Trbovic chief of division headquarters

HQ of the shock brigade Radic Brothers enter Zagreb,may 9.1945

Fighters of the 2.brigade,43.division in position on territory around Karlovac in spring 1945

Fighters of the operational sector for Istria at Ubas in spring 1945

Divisions of NOVJ (People liberation army of yugoslavia) breach on drina in 1943

A group of wounded soldiers during the course of the 4. offensive,Idbar valley

Dragisa Ivanovic,peoples hero and politkom of the 5. Montenegro brigade

Column of the 7. Banija brigade,february 1943

Command of the operative sector for Istria at Plomin

Commander of the 43. division Dutan Vlaisavljevic (second on the left) and politkom Joza Skofilic on position at Delnice,april 1945

Commander of the 3. division,who died in the battles around Nevesinje is being
    entombed according to peoples customs

Structure of the command of the 4.battalion,Zagorje shock brigade

March of the 2. Istrian brigade during the 1. regional conference of AF in Istria 25 july 1944

People retreat with the partisans

Partisans under the large cascade in Plitvice

Partisan columns cross Neretva river over the destroyed bridge

Attendant of the political course in Skrad,spring 1945

Political lectures in Istria

Reprieve of Ivan Goran Kovacic,famous writer,at Idbar valley during the 4.offensive

Transmission of the partisan flag to the 3.brigade of the 43.division in Dreznica,spring 1945

A partisan fighter

After bombing during the 4.offensive

1.brigade Vladimir Gortan assembling at Ucka,1.april 1944

Workers battalion in front of its commander Dutan Jerkovic prior to battle on Kadinjaca

Wounded fighters boarded into a plane at the village Brezna,on the left coast of Piva river

Partisan wounded on Neretva

Peasants carrying wounded partisans after the 5.offensive

A group of radio operators

Review of the 2. Proletarian division prior to battle at Sutjeska

Destroyed train between Delnice and Lokavo,which was on route toward the USSR,24.9.1941

Captured tank in the neretva canyon

Some captured germans

Captured partisans in a concentration camp in Bor mine
    Last edited by Ngati Tumatauenga; 10-12-2009 at 04:00 AM.

Hello,
    i find these 2 photos of german soldiers killed by yugoslavian partisans at end of war... i think there are very interesting for historically point of view
    Regards
    flakbtg500
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Default ...

Slightly off-topic, but in connection with post above - those pictures are taken in Martinscica near Rijeka, just after final battle for liberation of Rijeka, May 1945.

Hello,
    i hope these pcs are not off topic,
    wall drawing in an former-barrack of former-Yugoslavian Army
    photos maked in a state of former-Yugoslavia in 2007
    drawning rappresent actions of partisans during ww2 and these
    was used for yugolavian communist propaganda
    sorry for censure!
    1 original photo of yugoslavian partisans
    and photos of stone writing name of dictator Tito in former-Yugoslavia in 2007.

Best Regards
    flakbtg500
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Quote Originally Posted by niner.alpha View Post
    Slightly off-topic, but in connection with post above - those pictures are taken in Martinscica near Rijeka, just after final battle for liberation of Rijeka, May 1945.
    Correction,20th April 1945 ,hundreds of partisans died on fortress "Fiume" charging like idiots on italian built bunkers in rocky terrain defended by experiance German crews with MG-42s.

What's that red stuff over the pictures for?

Is it correct to say that Tito's army is an hybrid, somewhere between guerilla army and regular army?

It kind of evolved from guerilla into a regural army as more ppl joined the ranks and as they began to push the germans and italians out of yugoslavia.

One of the best fighting forces of the WWII.I studied some of the operations of the partisans while i was deployed in Bosnia.Neretva and Sutjeska the 2 most famous battles.They are a wonderful example of bravery.Just to mention on Sutjeska battle the ratio of soldiers was 120:1 in German favor and still the partisans managed to win the battle.No need comparing the equipment,partisans did not had any heavy weapons at all.Nice pix,and if anyone has pictures from these 2 battles it would be realy nice to see them here.thanx wonderful topic.......

Partisans in Trieste ( Trst )

Bye

Infinite point of chaos, in silent contemplation

Quote Originally Posted by briantk View Post
    Is it correct to say that Tito's army is an hybrid, somewhere between guerilla army and regular army?
    The partisans started as guerrillas,but as the Italians withdrew,and as the army massed,obtained more weapons etc. they transformed into a regular(semi-regular) army with shifting from guerrilla to conventional actions against the Germans and the domestic enemies.Although guerrilla tactics remained dominant until the end of the war.

Quote Originally Posted by heintzX View Post
    One of the best fighting forces of the WWII.I studied some of the operations of the partisans while i was deployed in Bosnia.Neretva and Sutjeska the 2 most famous battles.They are a wonderful example of bravery.Just to mention on Sutjeska battle the ratio of soldiers was 120:1 in German favor and still the partisans managed to win the battle.No need comparing the equipment,partisans did not had any heavy weapons at all.Nice pix,and if anyone has pictures from these 2 battles it would be realy nice to see them here.thanx wonderful topic.......
    I will try to get some photos from those battles.And yes they were one of the finest examples of human sacrifice,and will of man to fight for his freedom.

P.S. May i PM you about your deployment to Bosnia?

Quote Originally Posted by briantk View Post
    They are Partisans, the name has a meaning by its own.

slovenian partisans killed by germans in celje 1942

The shooting of hundreds of hostages in Celje 1944

Commanders of Slovene Partisans Army - Slovenia, 1944

Boris Kraigher, Jaka Avšič, Franc Rozman-Stane (poveljnik), Viktor Avbelj in Dušan Kveder.

Franc Rozman,
    nickname Stane (March 27, 1911 - November 7, 1944), was a Slovene / Yugoslav partisan commandant of World War II.

Franc Rozman was born in the village of Spodnje Pirniče, near Ljubljana, Austro - Hungary (now Slovenia) to mother Marjana née Stare and father Franc Rozman. He was the third of four children, having two elder sisters, Marjeta and Terezija, and a younger brother, Martin.

At the age of three, Rozman lost his father, a railway track-worker, in the Russian theater of World War I. Rozman had a poor and hard childhood. His sisters Marjeta and Terezija were sent to an orphanage, while Franc and his brother Martin remained in Pirniče. When he was 15, he worked in a tavern and then trained as an apprentice baker. As a young boy he had great enthusiasm for a career in the armed forces, but was rejected when he applied to military school. In spring 1932 he did his national service in the army. In 1935 when the Italians started to mobilize young Slovene men for the Second Italo-Abyssinian War, Rozman hoped to join the Ethiopian forces but did not succeed in doing so.

As soon as the Spanish Civil War broke out, he decided to travel to Spain. Rozman was among the first Yugoslav volunteers in Spain, where he, on October 1, 1936 joined the International Brigades. In Jarama he completed non commissioned officers' school, became a lieutenant and a commander of a company, then captain and commander of a battalion. His comrades in arms remembered him as an energetic and earnest person.

After the Spanish Civil War Rozman spent some time in French camps. In April 1941 he went to Meissen, Germany and in July the same year he finally returned home through Germany. For a while he lived with an activist of the OF (the Liberation Front (Osvobodilna fronta)). In early December he visited his youngest brother Martin, after which he joined the Slovene partisans. Soon he became a military instructor with the High Command of the Slovene partisan forces. He was given the task of setting up the Styrian battalion (Štajerski bataljon), which would consist of the partisan troops, (the Revirje and Savinja troops (Revirske in Savinjske čete)), which were active in Styria as of the autumn of 1941. He participated in the Attack on Šoštanj and later in the Battle of Čreta. The Germans repeatedly tried to liquidate Rozman, setting many ambushes.

In the spring of 1942 Rozman became the commandant of a Slovene partisan brigade, established in April 5, 1942 on Kremenik in Lower Carniola, and numbering more than 300 fighters. Measured by composition, organization, training, and fighting power, this was the most powerful Slovene partisan unit at that time.

On July 13, 1943 he became a commandant of the High Command of the Slovene partisan's army with the rank of lieutenant general (generallajtnant) which he held up to his death.

Rozman died in Bela krajina as a consequence of a bad wound received while testing new mortar weapons, sent to the partisans by their British Allies. There were some rumours he was killed by sabotage, caused by the Chetnik military authorities, but they have never been proven.

"Commandander Stane," as he was nicknamed by the partisan fighters, is considered one of the brightest figures of the NOB (the National liberation struggle). The well-known partisan song Komandant Stane (Commander Stane) is dedicated to him. Many Slovene schools bear his name. The Franc Rozman Stane Barracks (Vojašnica Franc Rozman Stane) at Ljubljana-Polje also bears his name.

Franc Rozman Stane , center, with Dušan Kveder Tomaž and Peter Stante Skala in July 1943

Funeral Franc Rozman Stane Črnomelj 1944

Monument Franc Rozman Stane in Ljubljana

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod View Post
    The partisans started as guerrillas,but as the Italians withdrew,and as the army massed,obtained more weapons etc. they transformed into a regular(semi-regular) army with shifting from guerrilla to conventional actions against the Germans and the domestic enemies.Although guerrilla tactics remained dominant until the end of the war.

I will try to get some photos from those battles.And yes they were one of the finest examples of human sacrifice,and will of man to fight for his freedom.

P.S. May i PM you about your deployment to Bosnia?
    shure np..... but maybe i wont be able to reply you immediately...but as soon as i log in and read the message i'll help you what i can.Cause i'm in a sort of a Kosovo & Macedonia relation in my current deployment......every day lots of traveling etc etc....and the wireless really sucks round here.....

anyway don't forget the photos...... especially sutjeska