Page 50 of 222 FirstFirst ... 40424344454647484950515253545556575860100150 ... LastLast

Thread: ROK(South Korea) Armed Forces pics and videos

South Korean Military is pretty damn impressive. Its amazing how interconnected the US military is with them also. WHEN the shyt hits the fan with N.Korea were gonna annihilate them.
    Last edited by TheCarLessDriven; 05-20-2009 at 08:14 PM.

the Holy Imperial States of Earth, Universe is ours!

pirates StRoNg!!11!!!111!

http://koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nat...205_45106.html

Korean Unit Exposed to Attacks From Somali Pirates

By Jung Sung-ki
    Staff Reporter

South Korea's naval unit operating off the coast of Somalia has been placed on high alert over Somali pirates' possible attacks using U.S. surface-to-air guided missiles against its helicopter, according to intelligence and Navy sources Monday.

The National Intelligence Service and the Defense Security Command recently provided the classified information to the Cheonghae Unit that Somali pirates seemed to have acquired ``Stinger'' missiles from al-Qaeda, said the sources.

The Stinger missile is a personal portable infrared homing surface-to-air missile developed in the United States for service in 1981. The shoulder-launched weapon has to date been responsible for downing 270 aircraft.

The missile can hit targets flying as high as 3,500 meters at a speed of Mach 2. It has a range of eight kilometers.

``Cheonghae has been put on alert since its Lynx helicopter doesn't have any single sensor system against Stinger-like guided anti-aircraft missiles,'' an intelligence source told The Korea Times on condition of anonymity.

The unit reported the potential threat missiles to the Navy command here and requested data on the weapon, the source said.

To avoid an anti-aircraft attack when taking pictures of Somali pirates during missions for public affairs, the unit also asked the Navy headquarters to send a 400mm zoom lens to replace the current 300mm lens, he said. With a 300mm lens, a photographer can take a picture of target up to 1.5 kilometers away, but a 400mm lens doubles the range.

A military spokesman in Seoul said there was no confirmed intelligence that Somali pirates had secured Stinger missiles, citing sources from the Combined Forces Maritime Component Command based in Bahrain and Korean military attaches to embassies in the Middle East.

``We're aware that Somali insurgents have Stinger missiles, but the pirates don't at the moment as far as we know,'' the spokesman said. ``However, we will come up with proper countermeasures to thwart potential anti-aircraft attacks from the pirates in the mid- to long-term, including equipment modifications.''

The South Korean Navy operates 24 anti-submarine warfare versions of the Lynx, built by the U.K.-Italy joint venture AugustWestland.

The Navy wants to equip these with basic missile protection systems, such as flare launchers; infra-red guided missile countermeasure devices, nicknamed ``disco balls''; and radar warning receivers (RWR), according to a military source.

He said the manufacturer has shown its willingness to conduct modification work for the helicopters immediately even in Djibouti, where the Korean unit is based, if required.

``The best option is to fit required infra-red guided missile countermeasures systems to the Lynx helicopter as soon as possible,'' the source said. ``If not, we hope the modification work will be implemented for the second Cheonghae unit to be dispatched by September.''

A defense expert called on the JCS to take quick steps to protect South Korean sailors operating off the Somali coast.

``If the intelligence proves true, it's quite urgent to take measures to prevent our personnel being killed in a possible anti-air attack by pirates,'' the expert said, asking to remain anonymous. ``We can't exclude the possibility of a `Lynx down' situation similar to an incident where U.S. Black Hawk helicopters were shot down by Somali insurgents in the early 1990s.''

Since it was deployed in March, the 4,500-ton destroyer-based Korean naval contingent has shown one of the most outstanding anti-piracy performances among coalition forces operating off the coast of Somalia.

Since it began operations last month, the unit's Lnyx carrying sharpshooters has successfully rescued four foreign vessels, including a North Korean cargo ship, from the heavily-armed pirates.

The Somali pirates reportedly run sophisticated operations using high-tech equipment such as satellite phones, rocket-propelled grenade (RPG) launchers and GPS receivers.
    They are known to receive information from contacts at ports in the Gulf of Aden and use speedboats with very powerful outboard motors to approach their targets.

Located along the route of a crude-oil pipeline connecting the Red Sea to the Indian Ocean and racked by civil war, Somalia's coastline has become infamous for piracy.

Each year, about 20,000 ships, including some 460 South Korean vessels, sail throughout the Gulf of Aden headed for the Suez Canal, an important shipping route for international trade that links Europe to the Middle East and Asia.

The International Maritime Organization counted 111 attacks in 2008 in the Arabian Sea near Somalia, the most notorious location for such activity.

[*******#000000]gallantjung@koreatimes.co.kr[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by BearInBunnySuit View Post
    How's the army life? Is it better than being a Marine? (hehe)
    Plan changed so I had to leave after 5 weeks at NCO school. Hopefully not the end of the military but the situation is pretty fluid. It was a damned shame as things were going real well. The instructors were all excited and stuff until I had to give them the bad news. That was the worst day of my life.
    It's just not the same as when I was single.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdenhopf View Post
    aye. still, a bit boring with shotloads of pictures and no ranting or flame threads. We Koreans are just too timid.
    God what is it with these leftist Communist twinkletoes that want to rant and argue about everything?

Quote Originally Posted by blue_shark View Post
    KD3 class

photos by Shin, In-Kyun from www.koreadefence.net

Are those SSMs Harpoon? Alspo, are there 16 or more?

Damn impressive ships, arguably the most formidable Aegis afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by planeman View Post
    Are those SSMs Harpoon? Alspo, are there 16 or more?

Damn impressive ships, arguably the most formidable Aegis afloat.
    SSM-700K Hae Sung, 4 x 4 loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck View Post
    God what is it with these leftist Communist twinkletoes that want to rant and argue about everything?
    now, now, you McCarthyists see everything red.

Quote Originally Posted by Verdenhopf View Post
    now, now, you McCarthyists see everything red.
    Hey, you asked for it.
    Actually both sides hate me because I don't really stick to any side.
    The conservatives think I'm a communist, the communists think I'm a McCarthyist, the Japan haters call me 친일파 because I don't hate the Japanese...
    But overall I am pretty conservative about stuff, not because I'm closed minded but because generally more often than not the more "liberal" ideas, although far more ideal, simply don't hold up to logic.
    What do I think about the current administration? I think they're okay. Although it'd be great if they could communicate their intent better, I understand why they are refraining from it. It just ends up becoming a pissing contest with the press where the government will find themselve severely outgunned. Something that Noh Moo-hyeon fell victim to. The current president is very pragmatic, but I think he fails to realize that Korea is a VERY emotional country. Whether or not he's right or wrong is yet to be seen but one thing's for sure: what he's doing is hurting his party bad. But then again, he might not really give a damn. After all, after five years, he's out anyway.

Yes, I'm a chick BearInBunnySuit's Avatar

Team collects remains of possible MIA

HWACHEON, Gangwon - A joint team of U.S. and Korean officials said yesterday they have excavated a collection of bone fragments and belongings believed to have come from an American soldier who died in the 1950-53 Korean War.

The fragments, which South Korean Army Col. Park Sin-han said could be parts of fingers, turned up along with a U.S.-made pen, a bullet, bullet cartridges and a part of a buckle in the mountainous region of Hwacheon, 118 kilometers (73 miles) east of Seoul.

“It will take at least six months to fully identify the bones,” said Jay Silverstein, an archaeologist working with the Hawaii-based U.S. Joint Prisoners of War, Missing in Action Accounting Command, or JPAC. Three dozen JPAC and South Korean excavators have been working together at four sites, including Hwacheon, since last week after receiving tips from locals on where U.S. soldiers may be buried.

About 8,100 U.S. soldiers remain unaccounted for from the Korean War. Silverstein said the May 14-June 13 excavation - the first time the allies have integrated as a full excavation team - could lead to further discoveries and expressed hope that North Korea would reopen its border to the team.

JPAC officials withdrew from the communist state in 2005 when North Korea boycotted six-nation denuclearization-for-aid talks and exited a non-nuclear proliferation pact.

The U.S. had received more than 200 sets of remains from North Korea between 1990-1994, according to JPAC. The remains were mingled together, however, making them difficult to identify.

About 40 percent of missing soldiers are believed to be buried in North Korea and the demilitarized zone that separates the Koreas, according to South Korea’s defense ministry.

South Korea and the U.S. plan to start an excavation project in the DMZ next year. Details have yet to be laid out, said Park, who heads a South Korean excavation agency that opened in January in Seoul.

The remains of 2,524 of its soldiers and 11 UN troops as of May 15, according to the Agency for Killed in Action Recovery and Identification.

Yonhap
    http://joongangdaily.joins.com/artic...sp?aid=2905075
    Last edited by hood; 09-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.

Great facilities.
    Beats most of the stuff you find on land in fact.