Page 4 of 406 FirstFirst 1234567891011121454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Aircraft Carriers Intensive PIX!!

Why the 25 de Mayo wasn´t deploy during the Falklands War in 1982?

The soul that is within me no man can degrade bd popeye's Avatar

Gents you are psoting some awesome PIX!..Keep up the great work!

USN LHA/LHD in all other nations would be called Aircraft Carriers!

[*******#0000ff]Download HiRes[/COLOR]

Pacific Ocean (Aug. 8, 2005) – A Landing Craft, Utility (LCU) prepares to enter the well deck of the amphibious assault ship USS Tarawa (LHA 1). Tarawa is the flagship for Expeditionary Strike Group One (ESG-1), currently on a regularly scheduled Western Pacific deployment in support of the Global War on Terrorism. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 1st Class Marvin Harris (RELEASED)

Pacific Ocean (Aug. 2, 2005) - An AV-8B Harrier from the 1st Marine Air Wing prepares to land on the amphibious assault ship USS Boxer's (LHD 4) flight deck. Boxer and the Kitty Hawk Carrier Strike Group are participating in the third annual Joint Air and Sea Exercise (JASEX) 2005 with the U.S. Air Force and U.S. Marine Corps in the Western Pacific. JASEX focuses on integrated joint training proficiency in detecting, locating, tracking and engaging units at sea, in the air and on land in response to a range of mission areas. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Paul Polach (RELEASED)

San Diego, Calif. (July 16, 2005) - Sailors and Marines man the rails while leaving Naval Station San Diego for a scheduled Western Pacific cruise aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Tarawa (LHA 1). Tarawa and the embarked 13th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) deployed with Expeditionary Strike Group 1 (ESG-1) in support of the global war on terrorism. U.S. Navy Photograph by Photographer’s Mate 1st Class Marvin Harris (RELEASED)

Coast of Albania (July 15, 2005) - An MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopter, assigned to the “Black Stallions” of Helicopter Combat Support Squadron Four (HC-4), lands on the flight deck aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Saipan (LHA 2) during Exercise Adriatic Engagement 2005. The helicopter was performing touch and go landings aboard Saipan in order for HC-4 and the ship to meet all qualification standards to maintain deployment readiness. Exercise Adriatic Engagement 2005 is focused on developing the individual and collective combat proficiencies of participating nations, as well as promoting friendship, mutual understand and cooperation with NATO and regional allies. Nearly 1,500 Navy and Marine Corps personnel are participant in this year’s exercise. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate Airman Gary L. Johnson III (RELEASED)

Shoalwater Bay (June 19, 2005) – The amphibious assault ship USS Boxer (LHD 4) prepares to launch Australian S70A-9 Black Hawk helicopters during flight operations in support of the combined exercise, Talisman Sabre 2005. Talisman Sabre is an exercise jointly sponsored by the U.S. Pacific Command and Australian Defence Force Joint Operations Command, and designed to train the U.S. Seventh Fleet commander's staff and Australian Joint Operations staff as a designated Combined Task Force (CTF) headquarters. The exercise focuses on crisis action planning and execution of contingency response operations. U.S. Pacific Command units and Australian forces will conduct land, sea and air training throughout the training area. More than 11,000 U.S. and 6,000 Australian personnel will participate. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class James F. Bartels (RELEASED)

Atlantic Ocean (June 18, 2005) – The amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) shown underway with all eight MV-22 Osprey assigned to Marine Tlitrotor Operational Test and Evaluation Squadron 22 (VMX-22), “turning” and ready for takeoff. VMX-22 is conducting the final operational test phase of the tiltrotor aircraft. The MV-22 is an advanced technology, vertical/short takeoff and landing (VSTOL) multipurpose tactical aircraft, and is scheduled to replace aging CH-46E Sea Knight and CH-53D Sea Stallion helicopters currently in service. U.S. Navy photo by Photographer’s Mate Airman Jeremy L. Grisham (RELEASED)

Bomb Farm, behind the island of CVA-41 circa 1970-72

A-7s spotted on the bow of CVA-41 circa 1970-72

1987 - A Marine Corps AV-8B Harrier taxies into position on USS Coral Sea's flight deck during Fleetex 4-87. Personnel of CV-43 demonstrated their ability to effectively support USMC aircraft involved in the Naval amphibious assult training exercise.

USS Coral Sea CV-43 1950 - A Marine F4U-5 of VF-174 taking off.

[SIZE=1][Image Source - US Navy][/SIZE]

USS Coral Sea CV-43 1952 - F2 Banchee's getting respotted forward.

[SIZE=1][Image Source - US Navy][/SIZE]

USS Oriskany (CV-34) with a North American AJ-1 "Savage" attack plane on her flight deck. Photographed by W.M. Cox. The image is dated 29 August 1952, when Oriskany was operating off the U.S. west coast, preparing for her first Korean War deployment.
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives (photo # 80-G-K-13048).

Oriskany moored at Yokosuka, Japan, circa 1952-53, with a Commencement Bay-class CVE alongside and US-built Tacoma-class frigates in the background. Note the dusting of snow on the flight deck, loaded with Skyraiders and Panthers of CVG-102/CVG-12. The emergency conn is barely discernible under the overhang of the flight deck, just abaft the Mk-63 director controlling her two foremost twin 3"/50s. US Navy photo # USN-1171842.

USS Oriskany CV-43
    M-117, 500-pound and 1000-pound bombs line the carrier's flight deck during Vietnam War combat operations in the South China Sea, 21 August 1966. Photographed by PHAA C.B. Vesper. Planes parked nearby include A-4, F-8 and A-1 types.
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph (# USN 1118303).

Grumman F9F-2 Panther jet fighter on the deck edge elevator of USS Franklin D. Roosevelt (CVB-42), circa 1950.
    Official U.S. Navy Photograph, now in the collections of the National Archives (photo # 80-G-K-12443).

Quote Originally Posted by santana View Post
    Why the 25 de Mayo wasn´t deploy during the Falklands War in 1982?
    The head Admiral of the Argentine Navy feared she would be sunk by the RN. She was kept out of harms way. Also, he feared the USN would assits the RN. Why? The USS Forestal CV-59 was operating near Brazil at the time.
    Last edited by bd popeye; 02-27-2008 at 11:45 PM.

In my basement building UAVs to take over the world.

Awesome pictures popeye. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt-Col A. Tack View Post
    Question for BD

A scene from a movie has stuck in my head and would invite you to comment on whether it was a realistic depiction of how things used to be done on a US carrier circa the Korean war: In the Bridges at Toko-Ri, prop aircraft on the deck of the carrier were being used to maneuver the carrier in port.

Were aircraft really used for that?

IIRC, in the movie, the CAG raised the issue with the captain, but subsequently backed down.

This brings to mind a scene from a movie called the Caine Mutiny

Greenwald:

When I was studying law, and Mr. Keefer here was writing his stories, and you, Willie, were tearing up the playing fields of dear old Princeton, who was standing guard over this fat, dumb, happy country of ours, eh?

Not us. Oh, no! We knew you couldn’t make any money in the service.

So who did the dirty work for us? Queeg did!

Thanks for looking out for us BD!
    Thank you Lt-Col.

I've seen that movie. And back when I served in the USN ,'71-'91, I knoew quite a few "old salts" that served in the Korean war. And I heard a lot of sea stories but I never heard of prop aircraft used to manuever a CV. I don't think it happened.

The Caine Munity is a great film. By the way I get around $1300 a month in retired pay... Anybody want some frozen strawberries???

A Super Hornet assigned to "The Swordsmen" of Strike Fighter Squadron 32 approaches the catapult during flight operations aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S Truman in the Persian Gulf, Jan. 10, 2008.

A "Shooter" gives the signal for an F/A-18F Super Hornet, attached to the "Swordsmen" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 32, to launch from the waist of the flight deck aboard the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3 are underway on a regularly scheduled deployment in support of maritime security operations.

An F-14 Tomcat Fly over the USS America

The aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CVN-63) during a 19-ship group photo exercise. The 19 American and Japanese naval ships at the end of ANNUALEX 19G, the maritime component of the U.S.-Japan exercise Keen Sword '08. The exercise was designed to increase interoperability between the United States and JMSDF and increase their ability to effectively and mutually respond to a regional crisis situation.

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) transits through the North Arabian Sea conducting flight operations. Enterprise and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 are underway on a scheduled deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and maritime security operations.

A plane director gives directional signaling to an F/A-18E Super Hornet in preparation for launch from Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman is part of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 10 and is en route to the Cental Command area of responsibility as part of the ongoing rotation to support maritime security operations in the region.

An MV-22 Osprey attached to Marine Medium Tilt-rotor Squadron (VMM) 263 takes to the air from the flight deck of the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1).

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) transits through the Atlantic Ocean. Truman is underway conducting carrier qualifications.

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) transits through the Atlantic Ocean. Truman is currently underway conducting carrier qualifications.
    Last edited by santana; 02-27-2008 at 10:29 PM.

BAY OF BENGAL (Sept. 7, 2007) - An F/A-18F Super Hornet assigned to the Strike Fighter Squadron 102, left, and an F/A-18E Super Hornet from Strike Fighter Squadron 27, foreground, fly in formation with two Indian Navy Sea Harriers, bottom, and two Indian Air Force Jaguars, right, over Indian carrier during exercise Malabar.

A Super Hornet assigned to "The Swordsmen" of Strike Fighter Squadron 32 approaches the catapult during flight operations aboard the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S Truman in the Persian Gulf, Jan. 10, 2008.

A "Shooter" gives the signal for an F/A-18F Super Hornet, attached to the "Swordsmen" of Strike Fighter Squadron (VFA) 32, to launch from the waist of the flight deck aboard the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3 are underway on a regularly scheduled deployment in support of maritime security operations.

An F-14 Tomcat Fly over the USS America

The aircraft carrier USS Kitty Hawk (CVN-63) during a 19-ship group photo exercise. The 19 American and Japanese naval ships at the end of ANNUALEX 19G, the maritime component of the U.S.-Japan exercise Keen Sword '08. The exercise was designed to increase interoperability between the United States and JMSDF and increase their ability to effectively and mutually respond to a regional crisis situation.

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) transits through the North Arabian Sea conducting flight operations. Enterprise and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 are underway on a scheduled deployment in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and maritime security operations.

A plane director gives directional signaling to an F/A-18E Super Hornet in preparation for launch from Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman is part of Carrier Strike Group (CSG) 10 and is en route to the Cental Command area of responsibility as part of the ongoing rotation to support maritime security operations in the region.

Flight deck personnel prepare to launch an F/A-18C Hornet off the flight deck of Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76). Reagan is underway in the Pacific Ocean conducting flight deck certification.

An MV-22 Osprey attached to Marine Medium Tilt-rotor Squadron (VMM) 263 takes to the air from the flight deck of the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1).

Marine Corps MV-22 Ospreys, assigned to Marine Medium Tiltrotor Squadron (VMM) 263, Marine Aircraft Group 29, operate on the deck of the multipurpose amphibious assault ship USS Wasp (LHD 1). Wasp is on surge deployment to the Middle East carrying the Osprey to its first combat deployment.

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) transits through the Atlantic Ocean. Truman is underway conducting carrier qualifications.

Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) transits through the Atlantic Ocean. Truman is currently underway conducting carrier qualifications.
    What's matter ? No pics ?

The pilots of an EA-6B Prowler, attached to the "Rooks" of Electronic Attack Squadron (VAQ) 137, are given the signal to launch off the flight deck of nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65). Enterprise and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 1 are underway on a scheduled deployment.

A Marine Corps MV-22 Osprey makes its final approach and lands aboard the amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4). The Nassau Strike Group is en route to the Navy's 5th and 6th Fleet areas of responsibility in support of maritime security operations.

F-18 and the "Shooter"

Lt. Stephen Weeks, a "Shooter" on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75), gives the signal for an F/A-18E Super Hornet to launch off ship.

An F-14 “Tomcat” from the "Checkmates" of Fighter Squadron Two One One (VF-211) launches off of the flight deck. Stennis and her embarked Carrier Air Wing Nine (CVW-9) are conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.

A T-45 Goshawk training aircraft lands on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). Roosevelt is conducting carrier qualifications off the Virginia coast.

An Aviation Boatswain's Mate (Equipment) prepares a T-45 Goshawk training aircraft for launch from the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). Roosevelt is conducting carrier qualifications off the Virginia coast.

Three F/A-18 Hornets fly in formation over the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3 are on a scheduled deployment supporting Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom and maritime security operations.

The sun sets over aircraft on the flight deck of the Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75). Truman and embarked Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3 are on a scheduled deployment supporting maritime security operations.

An F/A-18F Super Hornet with the "Jolly Rogers" of Strike Fighter Squadron 103 is chained to the flight deck of the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower

The USS Harry S. Truman Carrier Strike Group sails in formation as aircraft attached to Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 3 conduct a flyover during a photo exercise. Truman and embarked (CVW) 3 are underway on a scheduled deployment in support of maritime security operations.

Two AV-8B Harriers, attached to the Air Combat Element of the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU), prepare for flight operations aboard amphibious assault ship USS Nassau (LHA 4). The 24th MEU is participating in Nassau Strike Group's Composite Unit Training Exercise (COMPTUEX). COMPTUEX provides a realistic training environment to ensure the strike group is capable and ready for deployment.

Nuclear-powered aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) participates in a strait transit exercise with Carrier Strike Group 9. CSG 9 is off the coast of southern California participating in Composite Training Unit Exercise.
    And no pics , too .

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
    Thank you Lt-Col.
    No problem, sir.

I've seen that movie. And back when I served in the USN ,'71-'91, I knoew quite a few "old salts" that served in the Korean war. And I heard a lot of sea stories but I never heard of prop aircraft used to manuever a CV. I don't think it happened.
    I should have known, more Hollywood magic

The Caine Munity is a great film. By the way I get around $1300 a month in retired pay... Anybody want some frozen strawberries???
    You are, of course, referring to the conspiracy uncovered by Yellowstain himself

Purveyor of intelligent reading material Lt-Col A. Tack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SineJustitia View Post
    Allow me to answer that one, by quoting The Times' article Flying Dutchman from 1960:

Apparantly, 8 Grumman Avengers were pinned to the deck to perform this feat of aeronautical seamanship. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any pics.
    Thank you very much SineJustitia! I never knew!

Default pictures

Wich pictures you dont see, because I just delete just two pictures that doesn´t appear in the page.

Partial Panel, way to go with those RN PIX! The RN is responsible for many CV inovations.

jackie yu, sometimes pics disappear because the photo hosting site we pic posters use goes off line for a short period of time. Just be patient and the pics will re-appear...

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive. I'm sure it will remain popular

I'll post more PIX tomorrow.
    Last edited by bd popeye; 02-28-2008 at 12:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
    Partial Panel, way to go with those RN PIX! The RN is responsible for many CV inovations.

jackie yu, sometimes pics disappear because the photo hosting site we pic posrers use goes off line for a short period of time. Just be patient and the pics will re-appear...

Thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive. I'm sure it will remain popular

I'll post more PIX tomorrow.
    totally agree with u bd Popeye, I am sure u can see those pictures that I posted. I also will post a lot more. Again great thread!!!

totally agree with u bd Popeye, I am sure u can see those pictures that I posted. I also will post a lot more. Again great thread!!!
    Thank you! The main site I use http://www.dezh.de/ disappears about once a week for maintainence for about 4+ hours. Usally on Sunday or Monday.

As for PIX>>> The USN has virtually limitless CV PIX on line for the public to download. You'd better believe I will!!