Page 1 of 11 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Black History Month

Default Black History Month

In honor of Black History Month, I thought I'd list a few all black units that you might be interested in reading up on. The following are the units I'm most familiar with, so I'll start with them. Feel free to add additional units, links, pics, etc. as you like.

9th & 10th Cavalry “Buffalo Soldiers”
    Tuskegee Airman
    555th Parachute Infantry Regiment “Triple Nickel”
    761st Tank Battalion
    2nd Airborne Ranger Company

In honor of Black History Month, I thought I'd list a few all black units that you might be interested in reading up on. The following are the units I'm most familiar with, so I'll start with them. Feel free to add additional units, links, pics, etc. as you like.
    Nice thought Dom, My old neighbor was a Tuskeegee Airman, hes has alot of wisdom and stories to tell. I wish I could get some pics from him to post.

[SIZE=3][*******#0000cc]African American History Month Events At Chickamauga Battlefield[/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=1]posted February 7, 2008[/SIZE][/FONT]

In commemoration of African American History Month, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park will host events honoring the contributions of African Americans in Chattanooga during the Civil War. All activities will take place on Saturday, Feb. 16, at the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center.

From 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. local author Rita Lurraine Hubbard will be available to sign “African Americans of Chattanooga: A History of Unsung Heroes,” her recently published book that chronicles the contributions of African Americans in shaping the city of Chattanooga.

From 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. the 44th United States Colored Troops Infantry Regiment Living History Group will present programs discussing the accomplishments of this successful Civil War Regiment. These programs will also include musket firing demonstrations.

The 44th United States Colored Troops Infantry Regiment was organized on April 7, 1864 in Chattanooga, consisting of former slaves from seceding states including Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. While serving post and garrison duties in Chattanooga, the Regiment assisted in General Sherman’s 1864 offensive into Georgia, which lead to the fall of Atlanta in September. The soldiers then saw battle action in Dalton in October and during the Battle of Nashville in December, followed by their pursuit of Confederate General John Bell Hood’s soldiers to the Tennessee River. The Regiment served post and garrison duty in Chattanooga during1865 and 1866.

For additional information call the Chickamauga Battlefield Visitor Center at (706) 866-9241.
    It is funny though, I doubt anyone would be proud of the treatment of Union colored soldiers. They were cannon fodder or gophers getting paid two bits. This was not a big event here and few attended. We don't like dividing our history up into racial groups. That crap is taboo here even though the schools are out and the mail man don't run.
    http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_121588.asp

It is funny though, I doubt anyone would be proud of the treatment of Union colored soldiers. They were cannon fodder or gophers getting paid two bits. This was not a big event here and few attended. We don't like dividing our history up into racial groups. That crap is taboo here even though the schools are out and the mail man don't run.
    Thank You Schocker,

Great post none the less, Back in those days Im sure Blacks were happy enough to have some part in the fighting for the begining stages of freedom from slavery.

I am sure they were but the conduct of the Union troops under Sherman was criminal in these parts at best and ransacking vengeful Black troops were used to punish Southerners and cause fear amongst civilians. Not something to be proud of in my book.

Anyway my point being these activities at the Park exaggerated the actions of Black soldiers at the Battles of Chattanooga at that time to cover up the racism of White Union troops. We need to be honest and call out the sins of the North. I am just spoiling Dom's thread though and I will cease. I will post some video and more pics.

Last edited by shocker1; 02-26-2008 at 10:01 AM.

No Good Bloody Seppo California Joe's Avatar

How about the 54th Massachussets and their actions at Ft. Wagner. Depicted in the movie "Glory".

You mean putting all those fellas in the front row? Those boys fought with heart and soul. It was a shame that neither side thought much of Black soldiers at the time. They have proven their valor time and again over the years. My beef is with historians white washing Union sins and shortcomings. So goes the way of the defeated and the Victors write the history.

Cellular organism & Junior Sleuth - Horseshoe crab advisor to the League of Cantankerous Old Farts oswald's Avatar

An interesting read on the 761st is "Brothers in arms" by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (yes, that Kareem).
    I have to admit, it was much better than I expected from an ex-jock. Especially a Bruin

Thanks Oswald, sounds like a good read.

Members of the 99th, 100th, 301st and 302nd Fighter Squadrons pose with more than 50 original Tuskegee Airmen in front of airplanes painted with Tuskegee Airmen signature red tails. (U.S. Air Force photo/Senior Airman Christopher Hummel)

A side note, the first Black troops raised in the CW was in the CSA, New Orleans Home Guard. Also one needs to realize NO was more a European type city than a deep South City. Many Blacks did serve the South. It is not a clear cut as some wold like to state.

The sad part was the retribution period (reconstruction period) the Yankee carpet baggers pushed any civil rights gain back a hundred years. The Gains the 54th Mass contributed to the US Army was undone.

I think one person who is a bright constellation of the 1860s and if he was alive today, would still be ahead of his time today, is Frederick Douglas.

Thanks for that Hollis. Here is a good bit of info. http://www.usgennet.org/usa/mo/count...is/blackcs.htm

At least one Black Confederate was a non-commissioned officer. James Washington, Co. D 35th Texas Cavalry, Confederate States Army, became it’s 3rd Sergeant. Higher ranking black commissioned officers served in militia units, but this was on the State militia level (Louisiana) and not in the regular C.S. Army.
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Free black musicians, cooks, soldiers and teamsters earned the same pay as white confederate privates. This was not the case in the Union army where blacks did not receive equal pay. At the Confederate Buffalo Forge in Rockbridge County, Virginia, skilled black workers "earned on average three times the wages of white Confederate soldiers and more than most Confederate army officers ($350- $600 a year).[/FONT]

Thanks Shocker, Yes Texas had a few Blacks who served in regular units. History is truely amazing.

It is safe to say there were more CSA/militia black soldiers actually fighting in the Battles of Chattanooga Chickamauga than Union black regiments. The reenactment in the fall depicts these units as they were recorded in the officer reports and enlistment rolls. During this activity at the Park last week nothing about this was made clear. I think it is much better and healing to talk about all the things that went on, even the non-PC facts.

The issue that drives me nuts with the whole "Black History" idea (I am referring to society as a whole, not this forum) is that it is almost geared towards uneducated people. If you enjoy history, and exactly what it entails, you take the history for what it is. You do not separate the "black" history from whatever color history you want to throw into the mix. History is just plain history, and the contributions of African-Americans (and if this term insults anybody, I apologize. It is not meant as malicious) are/were vital to development of this country. I take offense that someone feels that they have to point out what contributions were made. If you are well read, and enjoy researching history, then there is a high probability that you are cognizant of the contributions.