Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Black History Month

Have you tried offering to help out, or suggested other to history and civic groups that they participate? Recommend that groups like the Boy Scouts, JROTC programs, etc. Attend and ask questions.

Awesome thread Dominique!

Quote Originally Posted by AFMedic View Post
    Awesome thread Dominique!
    I do try to bring enlightenment to you Philistines. Seriously though, I find a lot of this stuff fascinating, but I'm a weird guy anyway. Reading over a couple of articles has gotten me interested enough that I've decided to do more research on both the 555th PIR and 2nd Airborne Ranger Company. If I find enough material, I'll do up a couple of full scale articles and post them here for your reading pleasure (just not sure when it will happen. It took me close to three years to finish my FBI HRT article do to personal issues, work, family, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
    Have you tried offering to help out, or suggested other to history and civic groups that they participate? Recommend that groups like the Boy Scouts, JROTC programs, etc. Attend and ask questions.
    I would have been there if I knew about it. It was in the paper on the same day. Unless I was a member of the Community Center in East lake or part of a minority group that put it on I will never know. This was a photo op for the Park and to spend some grant money. It should be a community event and I will make my opinion heard.

I suspect some of the older folks that run these things still think all the rednecks in 4x4's and rebel flags would come out. I think people are beyond that. What we don't like is being left out because of race or background.

James truthfully American soil is 246 Years, Outside of that Africans were slaves in other parts of the world. But 1 year for anyone is to much. Anyway Im not here to debate, Keep the thread what it is. A tribute to Black History Month.
    Last edited by Createdeemcee; 02-27-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shocker1 View Post
    I would have been there if I knew about it. It was in the paper on the same day. Unless I was a member of the Community Center in East lake or part of a minority group that put it on I will never know.
    Sounds like piss pour planning on the part of the organizers. They should have advertised the event several months out, as I'm sure your not the only one who would have liked to have to ave attended.

Dom, I talked to a local African American business owner whom I know from the Chamber this morning about this. Even he did not know about the event. You would think members of the Chamber of Commerce like this gentleman and myself would be informed of community events. Anyway it got him fired up as well and we may get a better event next year. We will see, if so i will report on it here. The Chamber has the resources to get the word out to groups about such an event. I think a lot of good can be done involving the whole community in recognizing the contributions and struggles of African Americans to the history of the Chattanooga Area. Anyway this is not about race it is about getting the whole community involved in remembering the history of area and honoring those who would otherwise be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Operator View Post
    My point is, I don't care what color you are. If you contributed, thanks for your efforts and what you accomplished. The longer we concentrate on the race of the individual, the longer race will remain an issue.

Labeling people by their race is antiquated and ignorant.

For example, I realize that the Tuskegee Airmen had to tolerate issues that I cannot imagine, but the first thing that pops into my head is not "they are/were black", but that they were very gifted individuals who stuck their necks out abroad and at home defending this country.

There were many ethniticities that faced racism such as the Irish, Italians, etc at some point in the history of this country. I do not need to be reminded of their contributions as Insert Ethnic Background Here-Americans because the key point is that they are/were Americans.

The United States was not the first country to employ slavery, nor did they invent it, but people do not want to let it go.

I promise not to rant any longer and apologize if I have distracted the point of this thread.
    Great Post!!!

MP.Net Situational Awareness Knob of The Week 6-12 Jan 2008 AZRON's Avatar

Unheralded soldiers were of the WW I Negro regt's.
    Some were totally assigned and equipped by the French and received little publicity in the U.S.

Among the regt were 367,368,370 and 372. All served in the trenches.

Quote Originally Posted by AZRON View Post
    Unheralded soldiers were of the WW I Negro regt's.
    Some were totally assigned and equipped by the French and received little publicity in the U.S.

Among the regt were 367,368,370 and 372. All served in the trenches.
    True - and they really wondered what they'd been fighting for (making the world safe for democracy?) when they came home from France, where the public was very relaxed about them.

This is a great thread guys! I thank you all for your excellent posts.

I'm digging around doing a little research on some units that interest me, but our freaking internet connection keeps going out. So I may have to delay my planned articles until I get back to the US.

The soul that is within me no man can degrade bd popeye's Avatar

Excellent thread gentelmen! Excellent.

As a black man in America it is very important to remember history..all history. I found since I moved to Iowa in 2004 these young(under 20) black children have little sense of our Black heritage. I blame the schools for not establishing some sort of circrulium for this subject. And Black parents for not demanding it. I would say that many young Blacks all over America have a limited view of much of Black History.

I'm happy aspects of Black History are being discussed in this thread.

Since this is a military forum..I wrote this some months ago in the family history thread.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
    Before I start this saga I will let you know that I am an African-American and I hold no anomosity towards the Confederacy..That being said..

My Great great Grand dad on my moms side was A.P.Hill General Confederate States of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.P._Hill

My grand dad on my dads side served in the Spanish American War and was one of the thousands of Black Americans that help build the Panama Canal.

My dad was one of the first Black US Marines. Serving from 1944-47. Acheiving the rank of Gunnery Sgt.

Two of my uncles were "lifers in the US Army and USAF". Both served 22 years. My USAF uncle served from 1944-1966. My army uncle served from 1945-1967.

I have a cousin that served in the USAF from 1968-1972 including a tour in 'Nam. He was some kind of water purity tech.(???)

I, Big Daddy Popeye, served in the United States Navy from August 1971 until August 1991. I was an avation ordananceman for 11 years and then a parachute-rigger(aircrew survial equipmentman) for 9 years. I made 7 major deployments on 5 aircraft carriers and served at several major shore commands.

I have a son that served on active duty with the US Navy as a sonar tech first class(STG1/SW) from 1998 until 2007. He is now serving in the US Naval reserve.

I'm Big Daddy Popeye..I never wear Red....

MP.Net Situational Awareness Knob of The Week 6-12 Jan 2008 AZRON's Avatar

Among the very first patriotic heroes of American were those killed on Monday March 5, 1770 in the Boston Massacre.

One of the five martyrs was the free blackman Crispus Attucks surely an American Patriot 5 years before Revere and the stand at Lexington by the Minutemen.

Just because Feb. has come and gone doesn't mean you can't post. If you come across something interesting, feel free to post it.