Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910

Thread: Black History Month

The soul that is within me no man can degrade bd popeye's Avatar

Default Veitnam War..

US riflemen from the 173rd Airborne Brigade charge toward Viet Cong positions, holding machine guns in a wooded area of War Zone D during the Vietnam War. (March 21, 1967)

Members of Company B, 2nd Battalion, 173rd Airborne prepare for the first major ground combat operation by U.S. forces of the Vietnam War.

Together with Australian and ARVN troops, the 173rd undertake a search and destroy mission in War Zone "D", north west of Saigon (III Corps).

The solider on the right has woven *****s of camouflage parachute silk into net to break up the outline of his helmet.

Photo taken: June 1965
    ==============================================================

Vietnam. date and place unknown

Lastly tonight.. See the sailor in the lower right of the photo on the flight deck with a red "float coat" and helmet on is me. popeye. 29 April 1975 aboard USS Hanc**k (CVA-19) During Operation Frequent Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by bd popeye View Post
    Lastly tonight.. See the sailor in the lower right of the photo on the flight deck with a red "float coat" and helmet on is me. popeye. 29 April 1975 aboard USS Hanc**k (CVA-19) During Operation Frequent Wind.

I remember as a 12 year old watching TV those crazy ARVN helo pilots after dropping the refugees off ditching in the ocean, Must have been a Bizarre time aboard.

Waywickedcool Federal Ninja Laconian's Avatar

Very cool, Popeye. Thanks for posting.

CPT Benjamin Davis, Sr became the first African American to make General in the US Army. His son, Benjamin O Davis, Jr (West Point '36) became the first African American General Officer in the USAF. Shortly after his USMA graduation there were 2 African American officers in the US Army, the father and son Davis'.

Thanks to all for the kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by LineDoggie View Post
    I remember as a 12 year old watching TV those crazy ARVN helo pilots after dropping the refugees off ditching in the ocean, Must have been a Bizarre time aboard.
    On Hanna no RVN helos deliberately ditched in close proximity to the ship.

We did push two RVN CH-47s overboard and 14 Huey's...I looked it up some years ago. It really was not chaotic as the news media may have portrayed.

Amazing front row seat to history. Thanks for the pics bd.

Semper Fi.

Great photos!

Thanks, BDP!

Quote Originally Posted by gaijinsamurai View Post
    Great photos!

Thanks, BDP!
    I second that. Thanks. (Really like those WWII era pics)

These are the original captions.. I will not edit them in any way..

Again BD Popeye, thanks for all the pics. Where you found this treasure trove is beyond me. I love this pic in particular, the way they look so distinguished. I've read there were African-American officers during the first World War but far and few in between. Thanks so much for posting.

Thanks BPD1586! And everyone else I'm humbled by the remarks!

Black History Month has past but this is worthy of posting.

Rest in Peace shipmate.. rest in Peace.

Recruit training photo

WASHINGTON (March 26, 2014) An undated file photo of Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark A. Mayo. Mayo, 24, was killed during a shooting incident at Naval Station Norfolk Monday, March 24. Mayo was assigned to Naval Security Forces at Naval Station Norfolk. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)
    US Navy IDs deceased Sailor at NAVSTA Norfolk

Release Date: 3/26/2014 3:36:00 PM

From Naval Station Norfolk Public Affairs

NORFOLK (NNS) -- Master-at-Arms 2nd Class Mark A. Mayo, 24, was killed during a shooting incident at Naval Station Norfolk March 24.

Mayo was assigned to Naval Security Forces, Naval Station Norfolk. A Hagerstown, Md. native, Mayo enlisted in the Navy in October 2007 and reported to Naval Station Norfolk in May 2011.

"Petty Officer Mayo's actions on Monday evening were nothing less than heroic. He selflessly gave his own life to ensure the safety of the Sailors on board USS Mahan (DDG 72)," said Capt. Robert E. Clark, Jr., commanding officer, Naval Station Norfolk. "Petty Officer Mayo's family has endured a tremendous loss, as have the men and women of Naval Station Norfolk, in the loss of a shipmate and friend."

The events of Monday evening are under investigation but it is known at approximately 11:20 p.m. there was a shooting on board Mahan at Pier 1. The suspect approached the Mahan's quarterdeck and was confronted by the ship's petty officer of the watch. A struggle occurred and the suspect was able to disarm the Sailor. Mayo, serving as the chief-of-the-guard, rendered assistance after seeing the suspect board the ship. Mayo put himself between the gunman and the petty officer of the watch and as a result was fatally wounded.
    John 15:13 King James Bible

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Semper Fi.

Black History Month has past but this is worthy of posting.

Rest in Peace shipmate.. rest in Peace.

Recruit training photo

US Navy IDs deceased Sailor at NAVSTA Norfolk

John 15:13 King James Bible

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
    RIP MA2 Mayo. May God bless your family with strength and grant them peace in this time of sorrow.