Page 11 of 469 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192161111 ... LastLast

Thread: MPnet geek support

Quote Originally Posted by TallAl85 View Post
    Thanks chulo and silent partner! My laptop is left on for long periods of time, i'm obsessed with defragmenting it as often as possible, but I think I'll be giving my screen a break every now and then!

Thanks again.
    Defraging it every day/week will not do much for you- once a month would be more than enough if you use it for normal use. i only do mine when i think about it (every 3 or 4 months)
    i would think that doing too many defrags would harm you HD more than help you since its being accessed alot more than necessary

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Yeah, laptop overheating can be a real issue, and can seriously reduce the lifespan of your computer.

Heh, "funny" story, I have a client who got robbed about 2.5 years ago (just before they became my clients in fact), and they had 14 laptops knicked. So they bought a batch lot of replacements (HP nx8220's if anyone cares). Every single one of them has had the motherboard die, some of them twice, and always when it's most inconvient.

Ended up having the head of HP in NZ coming down to personally apologies to the CEO and offer a pair of freebies for when they next purchase kit (assuming they ever buy HP again).

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Got up this morning, turned my computer on, but the monitor won't come on. If it's got power, there is an amber light when it's off, but that doesn't show up, and the blue one definitely doesn't show up.

I tried turning it on with the computer off, still nothing. Is it ded? LG 19" LCD, don't remember the model.

Try disconnecting the video cable, power cable and anything attached to it and reconnecting - sometimes a loose connection happens

Yeah I tried that. Hmph.

Got up this morning, turned my computer on, but the monitor won't come on. If it's got power, there is an amber light when it's off, but that doesn't show up, and the blue one definitely doesn't show up.

I tried turning it on with the computer off, still nothing. Is it ded? LG 19" LCD, don't remember the model.
    Aero,

Do you have an old video card laying around? Try to swap the card out. That seems to be the first area to try since it is visuals you are lacking right now. If that doesnt work try a spare monitor. If it comes on then call LG regarding the age of your monitor and warranty status. They are usually good at sending better monitors back then you orig sent for repair.

Will do. [*******white]....[/COLOR]

at the local cafeteria, hitting on the lunch ladies

For grins, try swapping the power cord from the PC to the monitor. It's rare that a power cord will go bad, but it's worth checking. Not to sound condescending, but you might also want to make sure that wall outlet has power, and a breaker or something isn't tripped.

No, I don't think that little of you, but you'd be surprised how often it's something insignificant that's overlooked.

all good suggestions - check for loose connections, then check your video card - it could be not sending a "wakeup" command to the screen. even better, hook the screen up to your laptop/what ever u are using to post right now . if it doenst wake with that, the there could be a bigger issue with your screen

Just tried a different monitor, it works fine. So the LG is dead, for some reason. Year and a half old, pfft.

Oh well.

Just tried a different monitor, it works fine. So the LG is dead, for some reason. Year and a half old, pfft.

Oh well.
    Call em up to see what they can do. They should take it, and replace it since its so young.

http://www.lge.com/support/contact_us.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by Aerosoul View Post

Oh well.
    My acer 17" lcd is around 2.5 years old and is about to die.

Good advice guys.

Re the laptop, mine kept overheating, turns out there was "water damage", lolz, who me?

Then they replaced the motherboard and didnt hook up the cooling fan, again, back to mr fixzit.

OK, heres a cheap and nasty way of blocking internet access except to specified sites on workstations. This is especially good if you (or your clients or whoever) are too cheap to buy proxy software.

In the Internet Explorer (or Firefox or whatever) settings, I place a "fake" proxy server, generally giving it the localhost ip address (127.0.0.1). Then in the "Bypass Proxy Server" area, I add the few websites that they need to have access to. Finally, I lock down the Internet Explorer settings so they can't change the proxy settings.

This works well for locations like warehouses where the staff need to get to online tracking systems, but not to ****, or support staff who need to get to stationary ordering websites, but not to MySpaceFaceTwitterBeboBook.com. Doesn't work so well where there are dozens of allowed sites though, too much work.

The easiest way is by group policy, but you can also do it via Registry modifications.

http://portforward.com/routers.htm

Just found which router you have and it should show you how to do it.