Page 10 of 473 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617182060110 ... LastLast

Thread: MPnet geek support

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    What a frickin hell day of IT shyte. And yet another reason why Palm should be consigned to the dust-bin of history.
    Well it appears that I maligned Palm incorrectly. For the record, they are not c**nts, instead D*****-Mobile Ltd of Auckland NZ are c**nts for selling a pre-used phone as brand new. And when they got caught out, instead of offering a new phone as a replacement, they offered to wipe and reset the exisiting phone. Nice piece of customer service you ******-headed buckets of goat puke.

Well it appears that I maligned Palm incorrectly. For the record, they are not c**nts, instead D*****-Mobile Ltd of Auckland NZ are c**nts for selling a pre-used phone as brand new. And when they got caught out, instead of offering a new phone as a replacement, they offered to wipe and reset the exisiting phone. Nice piece of customer service you ******-headed buckets of goat puke.
    Now, please tell us what you really think.

Thats really sucky what they did though.

That sucks Kiwi.

I have been messing with my internet for the past week trying to figure out why the internet keeps cutting in and out. Figured it was my old laptop about ready to die, but after turning on my other computer the net still wouldn't work. All this to say the freaking cable modem is jacked up. I spent a week trying to trouble shoot my computer.

I know how mad you are about it. It has happened to me more times than I care to remember and every time I raise hell all the way up the customer service “food chain” and I’ve come to realize that 9/10 of the John Does of CS just don’t care until it reaches management level and then suddenly, it’s a simple issue of replacement.

Most people, just either don’t notice or care to complain about getting something that has been sold to them as “new” yet it magically contains someone else’s pictures or contacts. Some companies seem to have put it into practice to save on costs.

[FONT=Times New Roman][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Was just about to rant a little about Samsung and Nokia doing the same with products valued over 1000 USD but it only gets me angry. Needless to say, I’m no longer a Nokia customer.[/SIZE][/FONT] [/FONT]

For those who run on VPN's, dont forget you need to uncheck the box in the TPC/IP settings to ensure that only VPN traffic goes through the VPN, as opposed to all traffic. That was my little win for the day. I had a new connection but had all of my net going through the VPN.

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Cool demonstration. For those who like interactivity.
    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/131

Random question:
    Sometimes when I leave my laptop running over night, when I wake up the screen is a weird colour (green, sometimes blue) and I have to manually turn it off and on to get it back to normal.

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by TallAl85 View Post
    Random question:
    Sometimes when I leave my laptop running over night, when I wake up the screen is a weird colour (green, sometimes blue) and I have to manually turn it off and on to get it back to normal.

Any ideas?
    Turn it off before you go to sleep, or turn on the hibernation option.
    i personally dont like to leave my laptop on longer than 1 hr of inactivity - lots of hot parts in a small case just does not do well for anything, even with its not being used.

Image persistence - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_persistence

If you need the laptop on, but you won't actually be using it, you can always set the monitor to power down after X amount of minutes of inactivity. (XP: right click on desktop, properties, screen saver, monitor power, power and then set time accordingly).

Default settings are usually to do this after 15 minutes of inactivity if its power scheme is set to laptop.

Thanks chulo and silent partner! My laptop is left on for long periods of time, i'm obsessed with defragmenting it as often as possible, but I think I'll be giving my screen a break every now and then!

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by TallAl85 View Post
    Thanks chulo and silent partner! My laptop is left on for long periods of time, i'm obsessed with defragmenting it as often as possible, but I think I'll be giving my screen a break every now and then!

Thanks again.
    Defraging it every day/week will not do much for you- once a month would be more than enough if you use it for normal use. i only do mine when i think about it (every 3 or 4 months)
    i would think that doing too many defrags would harm you HD more than help you since its being accessed alot more than necessary

Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

Yeah, laptop overheating can be a real issue, and can seriously reduce the lifespan of your computer.

Heh, "funny" story, I have a client who got robbed about 2.5 years ago (just before they became my clients in fact), and they had 14 laptops knicked. So they bought a batch lot of replacements (HP nx8220's if anyone cares). Every single one of them has had the motherboard die, some of them twice, and always when it's most inconvient.

Ended up having the head of HP in NZ coming down to personally apologies to the CEO and offer a pair of freebies for when they next purchase kit (assuming they ever buy HP again).

Potential Getaway Driver Aerosoul's Avatar

Got up this morning, turned my computer on, but the monitor won't come on. If it's got power, there is an amber light when it's off, but that doesn't show up, and the blue one definitely doesn't show up.

I tried turning it on with the computer off, still nothing. Is it ded? LG 19" LCD, don't remember the model.