Thread: MPnet geek support

Quote Originally Posted by Laworkerbee View Post
    That will work on a Windows 7 machine running as a server for 20 clients in a workgroup?

You guys will make me look real good if this works.
    That command is to set the time server to use on any machine, including the domain master. It will not however solve the issue of inaccurate time or delays in time.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar
    Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

That is true. You will still need an accurate master time server. But no trust relationship between it and the workstations need exist.

The issue I'm having here and why this is important is the clients need to be able to shift seemlessly through time zones while on a ship. I thought time could only be synched via the ship PDC which my clients don't have access too, shunted off into their own workgroup as they are.

The issue I'm having here and why this is important is the clients need to be able to shift seemlessly through time zones while on a ship. I thought time could only be synched via the ship PDC which my clients don't have access too, shunted off into their own workgroup as they are.
    Hmmm, interesting. Usually we keep all server and security related time in UTC time. That is also the time you will get from GPS and ntp servers. I am curious why you need local time unless its for end user display.

Quote Originally Posted by subotai View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. Usually we keep all server and security related time in UTC time. That is also the time you will get from GPS and ntp servers. I am curious why you need local time unless its for end user display.
    I'm using UTC time currently on all of those systems. I think it's related to customer reciepts. In our case UTC time was 8 hours ahead and so some customers aboard ship would receive a receipt for a purchase made "tomorrow". Does that make sense?

I'm using UTC time currently on all of those systems. I think it's related to customer reciepts. In our case UTC time was 8 hours ahead and so some customers aboard ship would receive a receipt for a purchase made "tomorrow". Does that make sense?
    Makes perfect sense. Living with UTC confuses anyone not used to be on a ship running on Zulu time.

My suggestion; point the domain master to trusted ntp - and give it the local timezone at the port of departure. Yes, you may be off an hour or two when crossing timezones (or maybe 24 hours if you go two far west), but that's more likely to be palatable to the customers.

Plotting to take control of the Cumberland Organic Farming Board. Wah ha ha ha ha ha!

Do you have for the PDC access to GPS?

Also, have a look at this: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/...ing-time-zones

Getting ripped in mp.net's insanity thread!

how do you guys point to the time server via dhcp options?
    http://www.greyware.com/software/dom...cture/dhcp.asp

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Do you have for the PDC access to GPS?

Also, have a look at this: http://channel9.msdn.com/coding4fun/...ing-time-zones
    I don't have access to the ships PDC, I suppose if I did I would not be having this issue.

Maybe you could get DashDave to write you an app?

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Maybe you could get DashDave to write you an app?
    The thing is, I'm pushing back hard against this because I'm really not into using unsupported 3rd party apps for important duties. I'm going to run through some things I've picked up in this thread tonight to see how it goes....What I really want is for Princess to add my clients and servers to their domain, I've just not found the right pressure point yet

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

The ads work on your browsing history...

Hoots mon there's a moose loose aboot this hoose.

But that's what I don't understand, I haven't browsed that shyte.

WTF am I doing with my life? Token White Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Lob View Post
    But that's what I don't understand, I haven't browsed that shyte.
    Download Firefox and install Ad Block Plus. No more ads ever again.

I have a virus that redirects me to ad sites every time I click a link on google. I've checked all my addons, the proxy settings and switched browsers but nothing works. I asked a tech guy but he recommended I re-image the laptop (I'd rather not). Any help would be greatly appreciated.