Thread: MPnet geek support

I like all kinds of haze FrankBooth's Avatar

That's a golden rule.

Quote Originally Posted by dolumberist View Post
    Thanks for the speedy reply, Kiwi!

This laptop is only one year old, Acer Aspire 8530. If there is an overheating problem, is it because the fan isn't working properly or is it more likely there's a problem somewhere else? I may have even caused the fan problem myself by using compressed air to get rid off dust (there's a lot of it...). I looked up a guide online to make sure I was doing it right, but maybe I got it wrong regardless and caused damage to it.
    I doubt you ****ed anythign up with compressed air. Most of the time it will actually solve whining fans by ridding a craptastic load of dust and hariballs clogging up the airflow.

I would suggest opening it up and try to replace the fan yourself (if you're lucky it's easy to do it on your model).

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire & Wodka taster for The League of Cantankerous Old Farts Jurpula's Avatar

Sooo, the following happened last night:

Windows started to glitch, then it showed some DOS window real fast and restarted the computer. I got the 'windows didn't start properly' thing, but whatever I choose it only brings up the windows load screen and reboots...I tried to disconnect the motherboard battery but that didn't help...

Is my HD kaputt or did I catch a virus from all the Russkij Pjornazki?

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Doesn't sound good. OK, when the computer 1st powers on, press F8 (make sure you do this prior to the Windows XP starting screen - you have have to press it a couple of times to make sure it takes effect). You should get some options including safe mode and (the one we're looking for) Last Known Good Configuration. If that one works, then whatever buggered your computer has been ignored for now. If it doesn't work, you can try doing the same thing again and selecting Safe Mode. When that comes up, you can try rolling back to a previous save point and see if that fixes it.

Duck Hunter Extraordinaire & Wodka taster for The League of Cantankerous Old Farts Jurpula's Avatar

It does the same thing, whether I press safe mode or any other choice. Just reboots over and over.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Sucks! Next step would be to run a repair. Boot off your XP CD and then when it comes to the "Install Windows XP" options, there is a Repair this installation choice you can make. Alternatively (and I'd recommend this if you're not comfortable with the last step), take it to someone who does this sort of thing for a living.

Yeah thanks, I'll try that as soon as I locate my XP CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurpula View Post
    Sooo, the following happened last night:

Windows started to glitch, then it showed some DOS window real fast and restarted the computer. I got the 'windows didn't start properly' thing, but whatever I choose it only brings up the windows load screen and reboots...I tried to disconnect the motherboard battery but that didn't help...

Is my HD kaputt or did I catch a virus from all the Russkij Pjornazki?
    I had a similar problem after updating to SP 2(probably for Win7, but not too sure) after which my laptop got stuck in a boot loop. I believe it had something to do with conflicting entries for energy saving drivers from Intel and AMD in the registry. It may not be what you're going through, but if you recently updated windows, it might be worth looking into.

I have SP3 but that update was a looong time ago.

Doesn't necessarily have to be a service pack. Although rare, it is possible that a smaller update(indicated by KB number) mucked something up.

Yeah, but I don't do updates, my copy of the XP is somewhat, ummm...you know

I like all kinds of haze FrankBooth's Avatar

Its pretty easy to find an XP ISO that is 'clean'.

The one I have installs no problem and already verified. My W7 install only required a certain loader.

Having a networking issue, I don't have much experience with it. Somehow I managed to network my XP SP2 box into my Win 7 machine through a lot of trial and error, and both machines can finally see each other. Shares on each are set up and everything appears to be in working order, however the XP machine doesn't get any internet yet is able to ping the Win7 box. I've tried a number of things, any advice would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurpula View Post
    Yeah, but I don't do updates, my copy of the XP is somewhat, ummm...you know
    There is a legally downloadable XP Repair disc in ISO format on the web (found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...5-BD5AFEE126D8 )

Have fun repairing mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Fade View Post
    Having a networking issue, I don't have much experience with it. Somehow I managed to network my XP SP2 box into my Win 7 machine through a lot of trial and error, and both machines can finally see each other. Shares on each are set up and everything appears to be in working order, however the XP machine doesn't get any internet yet is able to ping the Win7 box. I've tried a number of things, any advice would be great.
    How is your network at home set up, what kind of router, modem, and connection do you have.
    Wired or wireless, etc.?

As much info on your network is needed to help you troubleshoot this one.