Thread: MPnet geek support

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Do both connections have a "gateway" address? I'm guessing that the local wireless doesn't (probably correct), but that means that traffic for it is being sent via the GSM device. You may have to look at manually adding a route to your routing table, a process so painful, my fingers are bleeding just from typing it.
    If his wireless LAN has no gateway he would still be able to print (due to all traffic on the same subnet not needing a gateway), he couldn't access the internet though. When he says that he can do 'one' or the 'other' it means the Wireless Gateway probably has an incorrect gateway as opposed to none. Both devices are probably giving DHCP with differing values or something, the wireless probably has his old ADSL configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Oh good, you know what you're talking about. That means that if Wagon comes back and says "tell me how", I can make it your problem...
    I am Cisco CCNA certified ;P
    But that don't mean that we really should get details on his routing tables. Eventhough we seem like good guys, we might take advantage of such information (never trust no one on the interwebz with sensitive info regarding your personal network setups).

And yes, you can make it my problem :P

Quote Originally Posted by Müller View Post
    I am Cisco CCNA certified ;P
    You poor bastard.

Endless routing tables and ACL's is the equivalent to accounting of the IT world.

Well, being certefied is not the same thing as actually working with it
    Studying those books was a royal pain in me ar*e though :P

Zune Free At Last FlintHillBilly's Avatar

EDIT: Never mind.
    Last edited by FlintHillBilly; 09-07-2010 at 12:56 AM.

This would be more of getting an opinion but,

Buying referbished PC on the ebay, yay or nay?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1-FAST-HP-COMPAQ...item3a5d1ac1d6

The two are dichotomous. PeterRJG's Avatar

My boss uses QuickBooks and Outlook at work and wants to be able to dial into it from home and access his stuff from there. So I guess I'm after some *free* VPN app. Any ideas?

@Johnny Walker - that's an encoding issue. Your browser is reading it in one encoding and the server is sending it out in another. I.e your browser is set to UTF-8 and your server is sending the page as Windows-1251 or some other Cyrillic character set.

Getting ripped in mp.net's insanity thread!

Who here is using Windows 7 .... and likes it?
    I'm on XP, still like it but will someday have to go for a 64 bit OS....
    Is dual boot a reality for XP and 7 ? Do apps work on 7?

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

@ Peter. How about GoToMyPc? It's supposed to be pretty good for that sort of thing.

TeaDrinker: I use Windows 7 for work and really like it. I will be upgrading my home machines to it (those that can support it anyway) fairly soon, as I much prefer the interface. The Windows XP compatibility mode means that it's pretty rare that I find something I can't run with Win7.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterRJG View Post
    @Johnny Walker - that's an encoding issue. Your browser is reading it in one encoding and the server is sending it out in another. I.e your browser is set to UTF-8 and your server is sending the page as Windows-1251 or some other Cyrillic character set.
    Yeah I have tried changing the server files to all kinds of different character sets, it's not working either.

I am hating excel so much. How do I stop it from auto formatting my cells? I right click, and change the formatting to number or general, and it goes ahead and switches it right back. I have excel 2007

Anyone know a good .dwf file reader? The Autocad one won't download correctly to my laptop. **** drives me nuts when they want me to look at dwg or dwf crap

Do what i do, tell them to send it as a pdf or jpg. Bloody engineers.

I would, but it's a friggin' website that I'm getting stuff sent to me from. Plus, I knew I was ****ed when it said the website worked "optimally" with IE 6 or 7....

I found a dwf reader, and I'm in good shape. It was from cnet, but it was definitely from Autodesk....weirdness abounds.

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Looking at a new laptop in the not too distant future, the old toshi sattelite is starting to fall to bits and has some random acts of madness on occasion, it's a heavy thing to cart around the country as well. I imainge we'll be running windows 7 on it, not a gaming rig. What's good these days?