Page 7 of 469 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151757107 ... LastLast

Thread: MPnet geek support

Quote Originally Posted by chulo_allen View Post
    try some **** sites, and then tell use how it went
    thats why i use a mac,

but on a serous note
    at a hacking convetion i think last week, there was a competition on how fast someone can hack into an OS,
    OSX.5: less the 2:00
    Vista: 2 days because they used a Java bug
    Linux: it was possible but the hacker didnt want to spend the time on it

the winners won $10k plus the laptop they hacked.

at the local cafeteria, hitting on the lunch ladies

Quote Originally Posted by Valkyries View Post
    thats why i use a mac,

but on a serous note
    at a hacking convetion i think last week, there was a competition on how fast someone can hack into an OS,
    OSX.5: less the 2:00
    Vista: 2 days because they used a Java bug
    Linux: it was possible but the hacker didnt want to spend the time on it

the winners won $10k plus the laptop they hacked.
    Yea, but the Mac was compromised because of a 0-day exploit in Safari IIRC. But I was impressed that neither the Vista box or the Linux box was compromised on the first day, they had to open the field a bit more on the second day to allow more features/services to be exposed.

Bush Lawyer, that's me! TheKiwi's Avatar

Excellent (ish) news. Microsoft have decided to allow folks to sell XP Home Edition for Asus EEE machines and the like until 2010. XP Home is fairly bleh, but you can trick it into behaving like Pro if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    Excellent (ish) news. Microsoft have decided to allow folks to sell XP Home Edition for Asus EEE machines and the like until 2010. XP Home is fairly bleh, but you can trick it into behaving like Pro if you want.
    Someone the other day said you can dial it down to be less hungry on the resources, never tried, but is it as simple as that? Otherwise the EEE is a bit of a brick running XP.

The EEE's I have seen running XP seemed to run it OK. The only issue is that XP with SP2 (or 3) takes up at least 1.1Gb of your 4GB of storage. Throw in (say) Office 2003 or similar and you haven't much space left for games/****/data.

No, not the ****s.

I was thinking of getting one for travel, don't know. Bit better than carrying this sucker on the planes.

Got a question for all them there tech guys out there.

This is supposed to be Need For Speed: Carbon:

I just installed a new DVD-ROM drive. Everything in the game looks like this, and I cannot get past this screen, since I don't know what anything is.

I updated with the latest patch... I assume this is something to do with the DVD-ROM drive drivers not agreeing with my NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX400?

Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by TacoDelRio View Post
    Got a question for all them there tech guys out there.

This is supposed to be Need For Speed: Carbon:

I just installed a new DVD-ROM drive. Everything in the game looks like this, and I cannot get past this screen, since I don't know what anything is.

I updated with the latest patch... I assume this is something to do with the DVD-ROM drive drivers not agreeing with my NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX/MX400?

Any ideas?
    DVD drivers clashing with Video just seem kinda strange. Your GF2 MX400 is kinda old so upgrading that wont be a bad thing, but other than that im just not so sure what would cause that, but if the only thing you changed was your DVD then it makes sense to question that.
    Is it JUST one game that has issue? or any game you put through the DVD drive

It's just NFS with this problem. I just updated the GEForce driver to the latest one applicable for my card, and the probelm remains.

I just installed the DVD-ROM drive an hour ago, with no software, just plug and play. I haven't worked on computers in a long time, so I apologise if I sound like a complete dumbass with this, but there's a power cable connected to the drive, and a data cable, but not the small, two or three (or so) pin cable that goes to the soundcard (on the normal CD drive). is this an issue?

From the look of the min specs for the game, your video card is too wussy*, a 64MB GeForce 2 Ti is the absolute min.

* Mine is the same model so don't be too insulted.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
    From the look of the min specs for the game, your video card is too wussy*, a 64MB GeForce 2 Ti is the absolute min.

* Mine is the same model so don't be too insulted.
    I just replaced my 6600 pcie with a 8400EN for $40. Not such a bad thing. Give an older driver a try. If not, replacement may be the go.

yea thats what i was thinking, i dont run top of the line stuff on my desktop but i had a 64mb GF2-440 about 4 years ago, you can find a good 128mb video card for under 40 bucks now

Thanks for the info, guys. I might go and do that.

Thanks!

I just installed the DVD-ROM drive an hour ago, with no software, just plug and play. I haven't worked on computers in a long time, so I apologise if I sound like a complete dumbass with this, but there's a power cable connected to the drive, and a data cable, but not the small, two or three (or so) pin cable that goes to the soundcard (on the normal CD drive). is this an issue?
    Wont be an issue, infact most pc's nowadays dont even have that cable, or an eide cable, most are now sata today. But to cutt to the chase you dont need that sound cable!

FYI - Thought you may find interesting. Australian dollars of course.

Eee PC XP Version Hits the Shelves

April 7th, 2008 We spoke about the eminent release of the XP version of the Eee PC in episode 80 of the GGP. A few of you had a bit to say about it in addition to Doug sending us an audio comment. Doug thought that the inclusion of XP would make the Eee PC cost prohibitive and not worth it. I would have agreed, but for the observations of it for sale in the wild.
    It looks like the Eee PC XP version is joining the market at the same price point as the Linux version. So that took me totally by surprise. Not sure what kind of deal Asus has struck with Microsoft or if they are willing to take a hit on their margins initially to get market penetration.
    What has been confirmed is that gadgets like the Eee are prolonging the life of XP in that the ultra low PC market will be able to sell OEM XP for the next two years. While the desktop cousins and laptops will be cut off as of the 30th of June this year. Truth is that Vista would cripple the Eee and Microsoft see these platforms as a money spinner. Long live XP!
    It will be interesting to see if the dominance of the Microsoft and XP brand make this the preferred format for the Eee PC. I know, I know the geeks will still go for the Linux version, but I am talking about the poor uni student that needs something to whack out assignments on and stuff like that. There is a market for a budget mobile computing solution and now with XP the Eee PC might just fill a void. For a lot of consumers the traditional laptop just doesn’t make economic sense.
    Second I am waiting to hear how the XP version performs. XP clearly has more overheads than Linux and it will be interesting to see if this comes into play witht he Eee PC version. Keith maintains that you can tweak XP to be light and efficient, which I am sure is true. The big question is have they got the mix right?
    So what do you get for your hard earned $399? (Best Buy)
    • 900MHz Celeron
    • 512 RAM
    • 4 GB soild state memory
    • 800 x 480 screen
    • Wireless 802.11 b/g and ethernet
    • 3 USB ports
    • Camera and Mic built in
    • Windows XP Home
    Source