Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Guns On Wheels

Banned user

Default Big Guns On Wheels

I wonder what peoples views are on putting 90mm/105mm guns on vehicles such as the Piranha III/Pandur etc. A great firepower advantage but off-road capability one would think much reduced. Vehicles such as the Centauro, or even the Piranha III 10x10, may be more suited. Thoughts?

It seems like it was a good enough idea for the U.S. Army to implement it. Look up the Stryker Mobile Gun System. I know it isn't a Piranha III, but the Stryker is based off of it, so I would guess it has some relevance.

If only they can find a way to mount the GAU-8. Now that would just rock.

Banned user

South African G-6 and ISTR the Czechs have one too.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

The AMX-10RC has carried a 105mm gun for over a quarter century now.

[center]===================================================================[/center]

FA9:
    "South African G-6"
    That is a self-propelled 155mm gun, designed to be an indirect fire artillery piece. The vehicles under discussion have 105mm direct-fire HV tank guns.

The G-6 is actually capable of direct-fire up to 3000m. It's a SPG, not a howitzer, after all.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/rsa/g6.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Gunpack View Post
    I wonder what peoples views are on putting 90mm/105mm guns on vehicles such as the Piranha III/Pandur etc. A great firepower advantage but off-road capability one would think much reduced. Vehicles such as the Centauro, or even the Piranha III 10x10, may be more suited. Thoughts?
    The standard South African MICV for 30 years has been the 6x6 Ratel.
    The standard infantry carrier is the Ratel 20, which has a dual feed 20mm cannon. The Ratel 90 has 1 or 2 less infantrymen and has a 90mm gun. It is used as fire support for the Ratel 20, yet still retains a troop carrying capacity. The troop capacity can be reduced and the ammo load increased to operate purely as a fire support vehicle/armoured car. Their mobility cross country was identical. Weight is just under 20 tons.

The newer 8x8 Rooikat, with 76mm or 105mm is actually designed for a completely different purpose. It was designed for deep aggressive reconnaisance and raiding on the flanks, with an anti-tank capability better than the low pressure 90mm on the Ratel 90. It carries no troops and is basically a very heavy armoured car. It is a lower slung vehicle as it does not need troop carrying capacity. It's cross country performance is tremendous. Weight is around 28 tons.
    Last edited by wilhelm; 03-12-2008 at 09:52 AM.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Ought Six View Post
    The AMX-10RC has carried a 105mm gun for over a quarter century now.

[CENTER]===================================================================[/CENTER]

FA9:That is a self-propelled 155mm gun, designed to be an indirect fire artillery piece. The vehicles under discussion have 105mm direct-fire HV tank guns.

Thread topic is "big guns on wheels". I'd think indirect qualifies as well.

the internet is serious business! Ought Six's Avatar

Arrow

That was the title, but the first post qualified it down to wheeled armor carrying tank-type guns, not wheeled SP artillery. I responded in that context. YMMV.

As long as people don't confuse such vehicles as tanks, and they are employed with a suitable doctrine .

If you try to fight with an MGS, Centaro or any other Light to Medium armoured vehicle (wheeled OR tracked), as a MBT.. you'll waste alot of flesh and steel.

So, let's say your in Chad, with an Army team of Stykers backed by MGS, you run across Rebel armor, say T-55, T-62.

Now, your 105mm has a good chance of a first shot, first kill., However you pretty much no chance of surviving a hit by the enemy.

Knowing this, how do you proceed?

1: Engage with the MGS, along with Infantry using man-portable anti-armor?

2: Break contact, call in for air support?

As an assault gun, such a weapon seems to perform better, the Infantry is there to protect the MGS, while the MGS employs the shock action of it's DFS capabilities in assaulting the position.

What is the doctrine going to be, when employing the MGS as an anti-armor weapon?

While lightly armoured anti-tank weapons are nothing new (The Germans employed many such vehicles and guns in the anti-tank role)

They all seemed to share a common trait, they had sufficient muzzle velocity to immoibilize most opposition with the first shot. This was key to the survivability for these platforms.

In the case of the MGS, the main gun's ability to produce that first shot first kill among 1st and 2nd tier tanks is in doubt.

BTW, the same applies to the CV-90 or PUMA ect.. while better armoured perhaps, a CV-120 is still not an MBT, and is vunerable to hits a Leo2 or M1A2 would usually shrug off.

I suppose the CV-120's advantage is it has a good chance of surving a MBT encounter provided it has the drop on the enemy.

Guest, the South African army in Angola in the 1980's regularly took on and thumped T-54/55's with the Eland 90 aroured car and Ratel 90. Both have identical turrets with a Giat 90mm low pressure gun. I believe that HEAT rounds were used. They required deft tactical handling due to their light armour, and were used in numbers.

The results were overwhelmingly positive, albeit that they realised that the low pressure 90mm gun with heat round was not ideal. It was often the case that multiple hits were required to destroy a T-55. Perhaps the thick bush also played a part, as well as the poor ergonomics of the T-55. Generally speaking, the Angolan tank crews were far better trained than their infantry, and sometimes had a Cuban commander. Overall though, It was not something the South African wanted to do too often, and this led to the deployment of the Olifant MBT and the development of the Rooikat.

The Rooikat with 76mm gun, although of smaller calibre, has a much higher velocity, and along with APFSDS rounds makes a far better tank killer. Having said that, the Rooikat is not a tank, and is not used in that role.. It is used for deep recce and raiding in depth on enemy flanks over vast distances typical of Africa. Therefore it has to have high ammo capacity storage with the ability to defend itself/attack effectively. Very high speed, long range, and 8 wheel drive also help.

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by FelixA9 View Post
    Thread topic is "big guns on wheels". I'd think indirect qualifies as well.
    I should have specified direct fire.

Should we confine our discussion to only the 90mm/105mm weapons that you mentioned or can we discuss weapons of other calibres? IE: What is a "big gun"?

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by playtym View Post
    Should we confine our discussion to only the 90mm/105mm weapons that you mentioned or can we discuss weapons of other calibres? IE: What is a "big gun"?
    Sure. A 120mm gun is being developed for the Centauro. I believe Nextar(Giat) are developing one as well. The Italian 60mm is also an interesting calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by wilhelm View Post
    Guest, the South African army in Angola in the 1980's regularly took on and thumped T-54/55's with the Eland 90 aroured car and Ratel 90. Both have identical turrets with a Giat 90mm low pressure gun. I believe that HEAT rounds were used. They required deft tactical handling due to their light armour, and were used in numbers.

The results were overwhelmingly positive, albeit that they realised that the low pressure 90mm gun with heat round was not ideal. It was often the case that multiple hits were required to destroy a T-55. Perhaps the thick bush also played a part, as well as the poor ergonomics of the T-55. Generally speaking, the Angolan tank crews were far better trained than their infantry, and sometimes had a Cuban commander. Overall though, It was not something the South African wanted to do too often, and this led to the deployment of the Olifant MBT and the development of the Rooikat.

The Rooikat with 76mm gun, although of smaller calibre, has a much higher velocity, and along with APFSDS rounds makes a far better tank killer. Having said that, the Rooikat is not a tank, and is not used in that role.. It is used for deep recce and raiding in depth on enemy flanks over vast distances typical of Africa. Therefore it has to have high ammo capacity storage with the ability to defend itself/attack effectively. Very high speed, long range, and 8 wheel drive also help.
    Ratel 90's were generally considered ineffective vs T-55's. The ZT-3's on the other hand weren't.

There is an option for a Rooikat 105 as well. 52 calibre GT-7 AT gun I believe.