Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AgustaWestland HH-71

I just dont think the U.S. should buy foreign military products. I not saying that they are bad, but I just find it weird that the U.S. military wouldnt buy a domestic product.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberoverlord0 View Post
    I just dont think the U.S. should buy foreign military products. I not saying that they are bad, but I just find it weird that the U.S. military wouldnt buy a domestic product.
    In the many past cases where the US has gone foreign (such as the British Canberra bomber that became Martin B-57, and the Harrier jump jet), the US has redesigned and licence built, in effect, turning a foreign product into a domestic product. Ultimately, in some areas, a foreign nation will design something superb. Best to tap into that expertise.

I am sure the military would rather something excellent but foreign (and still from allied countries, Britain and Italy), than something domestic and average.

It is a bit out-dated, I think that US armed forces are obliged to make good choice (reasonnable quality/cost ratio) and not political choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Navor View Post
    The Brits could use this Bird perfectly for there UKSF.
    why would they need the bastard American Child, when they have Augusta Westland sitting in the backyard... Having just also received 6 new Merlins to boot.

Defender of the Man Code

HK 416, used by some of the "special folk" German, M249, Belgian, M9 Italian, SCAR going to be used by other "special folk" Belgian, and thats just small arm's, president's new helo, UK/Italian, new tankers, European, new small cargo plane, Italian mostly, I could go on

Defender of the Man Code

Quote Originally Posted by Messiah UKF View Post
    why would they need the bastard American Child, when they have Augusta Westland sitting in the backyard... Having just also received 6 new Merlins to boot.
    Well after the piss up with the Chinooks they might want to get these guy's the helo's they need,

Quote Originally Posted by Ratamacue View Post
    I don't really see why. The USN doesn't have any specific need for a medium-lift helo that can't already be handled by the SH-60 or MH-53E, and the USMC has the MV-22 replacing the CH-46 as we speak.
    IIRC, it's going to the USAF as their new CSAR helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Eeobroht87 View Post
    IIRC, it's going to the USAF as their new CSAR helicopter.
    It's one of the competitors in the CSAR-X contract, but as far as I know, the USAF hasn't awarded the contract to anyone yet.

Wasn't the HH-47 chosen for the CSAR-X contract?

Unicus Ac Immortalis II Dark Avenger's Avatar

Its competitors successfully appealed the decision.

"I just dont think the U.S. should buy foreign military products. I not saying that they are bad, but I just find it weird that the U.S. military wouldnt buy a domestic product."

well in that case you wont be buying very much at all, pretty much everything the U.S. (and every other countries) armed forces buys has some "foreign" content in it

Well the HH-71 is a Lockheed Martin and AgustaWestland cooperation, Lockheed Martin being a american company. The HH-71 is based on the EH-101 but is it not the same helicopter. One big improvement I se is that the side door opens backwards that makes it possible to have the "gunnerwindow" that can be closed. A nice feature in dusty and snowy environments. The fact that it has a big side door make the winching of a stretcher i to the helicopter easyer. The thing that speaks for the HH-47 is it's bigger cabin and the fact that it's a tandem rotor helicopter and by that make it more capable in the high altitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by andreen View Post
    Well the HH-71 is a Lockheed Martin and AgustaWestland cooperation, Lockheed Martin being a american company. The HH-71 is based on the EH-101 but is it not the same helicopter. One big improvement I se is that the side door opens backwards that makes it possible to have the "gunnerwindow" that can be closed. A nice feature in dusty and snowy environments. The fact that it has a big side door make the winching of a stretcher i to the helicopter easyer. The thing that speaks for the HH-47 is it's bigger cabin and the fact that it's a tandem rotor helicopter and by that make it more capable in the high altitudes.
    What is the Mk3 Merlin's high altitude capability??? Anyone know?