The Combat Support Equipment Integrated Project Team (CSE IPT), part to the Ministry of Defence United Kingdom, has a requirement for design, production and supply of a new Handguard and Downgrip for the SA80A2 Rifle to give improved grip capability. There is a possible requirement for up to quantity 8,000 of each item for Urgent Operational Requirements. There is a further possible requirement for up to quantity 15,000 to replace in service equipment.
The following Key User Requirements are to be met:
1. Must have quadruple Picatinny rail (Military Standard 1913) fitted to 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.
2. Must be easy to remove by the user in field conditions without the need for additional tools.
3. Must not necessitate any design changes to the body of the in service weapons.
4. The Handguard must be small enough to be held by all hand sizes, i.e one size fits all.
5. Must have the facility for user access to the gas parts without having to remove the Handguard from the weapon.
6. Must allow fitment of SUSAT, CWS, Maxikite and iron sight to the weapon without removing the Handguard.
7. Must have the facility to fit an in-service SA80 sling.
8. Must have the facility on the Handguard (right-hand side) to incorporate a pressel for the Laser Light Model LLM01.
9. Able to function in environmental categories C1 to A2.
1. Must allow users to control the front of the rifle with their left hand without discomfort, whilst wearing full OSPREY body armour.
2. The Downgrip is not height, build or reach specific, i.e. one size fits all.
3. Must have the ability to fold away when not in use.
4. Must have a bipod function that stows away.
5. The Downgrip shall not be integrated with the Handguard as a single item but shall be attached via the Picatinny rail and shall therefore be adjustable along the length of the Handguard.