Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: US & Iraqi Special Operations in Sadr city

Ok thanks for your reply Tom.W.

One probably should not use the battle of the Kasserine Pass as an example seeing how it would contradict the sentiment of Basra not being an total victory but not a huge disaster.
    I get the idea your trying to convey.

By the way have you heard anything about how the fighting stopped in Basra?

You are new here. Learn who's who before you start disrespecting guys who are on the ground. Thank you.
    I can't respect people--whether they're "on the ground" or not--if they knowingly spread lies about my President.

President Bush never once declared victory in Iraq. He said major combat operations were over. There's a vast difference, and anyone with even a smidgen of military knowledge would understand this.

I can't overlook dishonesty anymore. If someone wants me to respect him, he has to be scrupulously honest with me.

I don't think it's too much to ask, even if someone says he's "on the ground" in Basra.

By the way have you heard anything about how the fighting stopped in Basra?
    Mookie called it quits. He lost almost 600 KIA, and the Iraqi army units were were reorganizing and reinforcing. So he bailed.

After Mookie declared his truce, the Iraqi army continued operations, capturing and killing Madhis until Maliki decided to stop and let the smaller fish decide whether to lay down their arms or not.

The Iraqi army went into Basra with a list of high-value targets, most of whom they nailed. So far the government hasn't accepted any of Mookie's terms, but the media still says Mookie won.

I just noticed this under my name:

Infractions: 0/1 (6)

What's this?

Moderator & Go Go Dancer Of Death Chops's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I can't respect people--whether they're "on the ground" or not--if they knowingly spread lies about my President.

President Bush never once declared victory in Iraq. He said major combat operations were over. There's a vast difference, and anyone with even a smidgen of military knowledge would understand this.

I can't overlook dishonesty anymore. If someone wants me to respect him, he has to be scrupulously honest with me.

I don't think it's too much to ask, even if someone says he's "on the ground" in Basra.
    Seriously get over yourself mate- go and have a coffee or a wank or kick the dog or something- your diatribe sounds like a really bad actor.

Argyll is not spreading "lies about your President"- he made one minor comment about the victory speech deal. Get over it and move on. Only thing worse than a whinging Pom is a whinging Yank.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I just noticed this under my name:

Infractions: 0/1 (6)

What's this?
    Why don't you have a read of the rules of this forum- right here http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ead.php?t=1554

It's an infraction for your post on the other page which was judged as a flamebait. Incur enough of them and your account will be banned. Don't do anything to incur another and they go away. Like a Yellow Card in soccer. Simple.

Why do you think the idea that the operation was a failure is so prevailing?

So if i understand it correctly you mean the "Madhis" were killed/surrendered and captured. Have you got any understanding on how many "got away"? Did the "smaller fish" lay down their arms?
    By the way what happened with the Iraqi government forces that gave up are they being punished in some way?

To Argyll
    I am looking forward to hearing how you perceived the situation in Basra regarding the specific/non specific questions i posted. (i understand if you take some time in answering being where you are)

Seriously get over yourself mate- go and have a coffee or a wank or kick the dog or something- your diatribe sounds like a really bad actor.

Argyll is not spreading "lies about your President"- he made one minor comment about the victory speech deal. Get over it and move on. Only thing worse than a whinging Pom is a whinging Yank.
    A whinging yank sounds like it could be fun, if administered by the right person.

Sorry translation- whinging = whining.

So if i understand it correctly you mean the "Madhis" were killed/surrendered and captured. Have you got any understanding on how many "got away"? Did the "smaller fish" lay down their arms?
    By the way what happened with the Iraqi government forces that gave up are they being punished in some way?
    Most of the Madhis got away in Basra. In Sadr City, plenty surrendered their arms.

The Maliki government has promised to prosecute soldiers and cops who deserted or refused to carry out their duties.

Tom,
    I'm trying my level best with you here, and you keep dodging the question, are you a serving member of the US Military in Iraq or not, if you're not, why not, because from what I'm seeing from you is that talk is cheap....

Major Combat operations over.......Indeed, and he was WRONG, WRONG WRONG, they hadn't even started.....How many times has major offensives in Fallujah, Ramadi, Mosul, Baghdad, Baquba taken place since he uttered those words, also did he not say "Bring it on"

I'm not asking for your respect, I don't need it, I've been here performing tasks in the rebuilding of this great country, what exactly is it you're doing other than making pretty stupid accusations?

Dude, don't call me dishonest, and then use the name of your President in the same breath...and once again, you've ditched the subject entirely, by turning the focus on the US aspect.....

You know nothing of the Operation in Basra, because of what you just posted......their logistics were fcuked up, and they couldn't bring supplies, ammo and reinforcements in, because they never had an open corridor, the JAM controlled the Routes to the North, and to the West, the JAM also maintained control over Al Amara, where the ISF took a beasting, every time it tried to leave their camp...so they stayed put, allowing the JAM to remain in situ....
    These Basrans you keeps calling them that are flocking to join the ISF, come from 2 tribes, just to the North of the Shat-Al-Arab, they were promised a significant entry number into the ISF, in turn for turning against the JAM, and today, there is still sporadic incidents within the city.

You're very quick to say that it unified the Government where thousands turned out in support of Malaki, well dude, thousands turned out in support of Sadr as well, thousands, if not tens of thousands marched chanting Saddams name as well, during his reign, doesn't mean they support him, people turn up for marches becasue they feel left out, and want to be part of something big, even if they don't truly know why their marching.

Sorry translation- whinging = whining.
    Whining? Nobody whining here.

Annoyed, sure. Can't I be annoyed at the persistence of falsehoods?

Sometimes we have to take things seriously, even if it does make us look like bad actors or whinging pomeranians.

Argyll
    I do not think Tom.W is answering you? I do not think anything can come out of you two arguing on the subject considering that there seems to be something fundamentally different/wrong in the communication (to much baggage)

Considering your closeness in time and room and your lack of "dependence" on the issue i value you insight on the subject higher that Tom.W who i know nothing about.

If you could, would you describe how you perceive the fighting ended in Basra?

Here's a completely different take on the fighting in Basra, by an Iraqi might know a thing or two more than I:

http://www.tinyurl.com/3ay377

I like the cut of his jib...

This version of events seems more rational than the "al Sadr is the champion of champions" narrative.

At any rate, it's more encouraging. Not sure if I buy the "panicked Petraeus" meme, but who knows? We all have our limits.

Is the short barrel M4 used only by SEALs in Iraq or does the Army SOF use them also ?

That might give a clue what unit was acting as advisors for the Iraqis.