Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 148

Thread: US & Iraqi Special Operations in Sadr city

  1. #91
    Virtual Warrior Inc. Argyll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Basra, Iraq
    Posts
    12,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
    Is the short barrel M4 used only by SEALs in Iraq or does the Army SOF use them also ?



    That might give a clue what unit was acting as advisors for the Iraqis.
    The advisors are drawn from various different units, and the Mk18 is not unique to the TEAM's Ravage,

    Tom,
    One thing you fail to realise, that Basra controlled by JAM seriously effects my mission here, and I more than most here, would seriously like Basra to be completely pacified, so we can go about our business, without getting whacked by EFP's...there was no ceasefire down here, it was business as usual, and even to this day, EFP's are being planted, and targetting MNF and PSC's alike.....I don't want a city controlled by ANY Militia mate.

    The article was a good read.......

    So is this one........and I know Malcolm Nance personally....

    http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/200...-defining-mom/

    This goes back to down is up and up is down , black is white and white is black.....

  2. #92
    I like the pain Pook2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    6,559

    Default

    Tom W.

    Maybe I'm overstepping my bounds in saying this, but regardless of your political views, you posted a cool video. It would be a shame to see another person who posts quality material get banned for a simple argument, so what do you say to all of us just dropping this debate and enjoying the posted material as it is?

  3. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
    That might give a clue what unit was acting as advisors for the Iraqis.
    The primary unit training and leading them is more than likely a US Army SF CIF company, since setting up and observing other nation's tier 1 CT units is the other half of their job description.

  4. #94
    Banned user SoftLion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Satan's Doppelganger
    Posts
    3,255

    Default

    Great video - thanks for posting

  5. #95
    Banned user Sgt.Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Some where near no where
    Age
    29
    Posts
    226

    Default

    That video was hot.

    I didn't know that spec op teams roll that deep. Was it a direct action or something?

  6. #96
    Member Semeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Tom, normally I'm satisfied with lurking but I felt the need to jump into the fray when I saw you post this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    We need people who understand that this war is entirely winnable. You're obsessed with spreading a defeatist message. You can't bring me down, though. This war has never been as badly fought as has been reported. Compared to the Algerian War of Independence or the two Chechen Wars, we've done virtually everything right.
    So thanks for your service, now stand down and go do something else.
    I'm not buying your defeatism. Sorry.
    You're attacking the man and not his arguement, making assumptions about his character, and generally concluding based on a few posts on a forum that he doesn't have what it takes to do his job. You're taking this arguement from Basra to home (especially when you personalize it by saying things like "you can't bring me down".)

    Which leads us to the next problem: In the literal sense, Argyll actually is in Basra while you aren't. Which means that you can thump the big-book-of-media-that-supports-me all you want but he has ground truth with a good old fashioned pair of mark 1 mod 0 eyeballs.

    Argyll, stay safe, especially if things flare up again.

  7. #97
    Senior Member JKD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    NM, United States
    Age
    37
    Posts
    4,258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post

    Don't you understand English?
    No, actually. Despite being born and raised in the US to English speaking parents I never learned English. The really weird thing is I just hold my hands out over the keyboard and start randomly pressing keys, sometimes with my eyes closed, and the result is, though imperfect, English and usually somewhat on topic. I have no idea what I'm typing or what I'm responding too.

    A construct is not a conspiracy.
    The Media did it, yes? That darn Media.

    Anyway, neocon's just a noun not a pejorative when most people use it. As I said, just a shorter easier version of neoconservative. Certainly many people, my self included, don't agree with neoconservative ideas or like their policies. But I don't agree with many ideologies' ideas and policies. It's just that it's like pulling teeth to get a neocon to admit they're a neocon or that the ideology even exists. But I already addressed that in my previous post, so moving on....

    And "media" doesn't shouldn't be capitalized, unless you're referring to ancient Persia when it was inhabited by the Medes.
    I usually capitalize it in this context when discussing it with people of certain political persuasions since they tend to view the media as single minded monolithic entity that they like to blame for a wide variety of things.

  8. #98
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    27

    Default

    I usually capitalize it in this context when discussing it with people of certain political persuasions since they tend to view the media as single minded monolithic entity that they like to blame for a wide variety of things.
    Makes perfect sense.

    Carry on.

  9. #99
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Looks like I may have been right, even though I'm not in Basra:

    "Iran joined militias in battle for Basra"

    http://www.tinyurl.com/3vatz5

    IRANIAN forces were involved in the recent battle for Basra, General David Petraeus, the US commander in Iraq, is expected to tell Congress this week.

    Military and intelligence sources believe Iranians were operating at a tactical command level with the Shi’ite militias fighting Iraqi security forces; some were directing operations on the ground, they think.
    Wait a minute! The Madhi Army isn't trained by Iran, and it just gets their guns from smugglers, I thought. Gee, who to believe? General Petraeus or someone else?

    Not that this will change anybody's mind, but the new Iraqi army did indeed go up against some of the most experienced fighters in the middle east. That's all I was saying.

    Fighting is still going on, which means the operation isn't over, which in turn means it's too soon to declare a winner.

    That was my original point. If by saying that I overstepped my bounds, well, then, I sincerely apologize.

  10. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argyll View Post
    Tom,
    I'm trying my level best with you here, and you keep dodging the question, are you a serving member of the US Military in Iraq or not, if you're not, why not, because from what I'm seeing from you is that talk is cheap....
    That's gotta be at least the 10th time Argyll's posted that question with nary an answer...

  11. #101
    Senior Member Sloppy Joe2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravage View Post
    Is the short barrel M4 used only by SEALs in Iraq or does the Army SOF use them also ?



    That might give a clue what unit was acting as advisors for the Iraqis.
    dude, anybody can use short barrels it all depends on what the chain of command has to say on the issue. either they give you the go or the no go.


    tom i am going to send you a PM here soon

  12. #102
    Senior Member Ravage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    in Wonderland, with my Alice
    Posts
    8,370

    Default

    Thanks. Well since the cameraman was a SSG then gues it might have been the Army.

  13. #103
    Senior Member Sloppy Joe2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,093

    Default

    this is one of my NCO's M4

    comes in handy especially if you are crammed into a Bradley with 6 other guys, or doing clearing operations.

  14. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    27

    Default

    That's gotta be at least the 10th time Argyll's posted that question with nary an answer...
    Would you like to know why?

    It's because I refuse to participate in this "I'm there and you're not, so shut up" game that people have started playing.

    Whether I'm serving in Iraq or not shouldn't have any bearing on my opinions, especially if I'm posting links. Conversely, just because someone's in Iraq doesn't mean he's the font of all knowledge.

    The ideas should stand or fall on their own. If I take issue with someone's viewpoint, the discussion should not be reduced to "Well, I'm in Iraq and you're not." Or, to paraphrase Argyll, "I'm over here actually doing something, while you're just talking, so I win." He wrote reams and reams of words to convince me that he was right, which is usually a sign of deep-seated insecurity. If I were a private security contractor in Basra and knew the true story, I wouldn't spend all my time on a message board arguing with some doofus just because he disagreed with me.

    I've known lots of people who served in Basra who got everything wrong. The argument can be made that the reason the Iraqis now have to launch military operations there is because the British applied exactly the wrong approach, allowing the Iranians to infiltrate the security forces and letting the militias kill young women for not dressing conservatively enough.

    The argument with Argyll served no purpose because he made his presence in Basra the centerpiece, and he flailed all over the place in a condescending yet borderline-incoherent style, putting words in my mouth and changing the subject. I stopped replying to him after he said Bush "declared victory" in Iraq, which is a flat-out falsehood.

    When people say certain things, I write them off and stop engaging them. That's my prerogative.

    But to make people happy, I'll stop posting here. I've obviously upset the apple cart by stepping on the toes of your resident expert Argyll, so I'll move on.

    Moderators, please ban me. I demand to be banned! Shut down my account, because I'm too whingy, too full of myself, and too flame-y.

    Jeez, for military men you guys are incredibly easy to upset. All it took was a dissenting opinion and all screeching hell broke loose.

    Thanks. It's been an eye-opening experience.

  15. #105
    Special Agent Mike Honcho HR24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I think you're all f*cked in the head. We're 10 hrs from the f*cking fun park & u want to bail out!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    Would you like to know why?

    It's because I refuse to participate in this "I'm there and you're not, so shut up" game that people have started playing.

    Whether I'm serving in Iraq or not shouldn't have any bearing on my opinions, especially if I'm posting links. Conversely, just because someone's in Iraq doesn't mean he's the font of all knowledge.

    The ideas should stand or fall on their own. If I take issue with someone's viewpoint, the discussion should not be reduced to "Well, I'm in Iraq and you're not." Or, to paraphrase Argyll, "I'm over here actually doing something, while you're just talking, so I win." He wrote reams and reams of words to convince me that he was right, which is usually a sign of deep-seated insecurity. If I were a private security contractor in Basra and knew the true story, I wouldn't spend all my time on a message board arguing with some doofus just because he disagreed with me.

    I've known lots of people who served in Basra who got everything wrong. The argument can be made that the reason the Iraqis now have to launch military operations there is because the British applied exactly the wrong approach, allowing the Iranians to infiltrate the security forces and letting the militias kill young women for not dressing conservatively enough.

    The argument with Argyll served no purpose because he made his presence in Basra the centerpiece, and he flailed all over the place in a condescending yet borderline-incoherent style, putting words in my mouth and changing the subject. I stopped replying to him after he said Bush "declared victory" in Iraq, which is a flat-out falsehood.

    When people say certain things, I write them off and stop engaging them. That's my prerogative.

    But to make people happy, I'll stop posting here. I've obviously upset the apple cart by stepping on the toes of your resident expert Argyll, so I'll move on.

    Moderators, please ban me. I demand to be banned! Shut down my account, because I'm too whingy, too full of myself, and too flame-y.

    Jeez, for military men you guys are incredibly easy to upset. All it took was a dissenting opinion and all screeching hell broke loose.

    Thanks. It's been an eye-opening experience.
    There are plenty of dissenting opinions on this board. Stick around and you will see them. Argyll has a certain point of view painted by his experiences on the ground for the past 4 years. That counts for something, whether you like to admit it or not. Not to mention, in his line of work, he has access to intel that you, me, and the average Joe don't have because it is necessary to allow his outfit to operate as safely as possible. Think about that.

    I have been a member here for some time, and while I do not agree with a number of things that Argyll has posted, I still respect him enough not to call him dishonest. By all accounts, he is a good man and is willing to throw himself into the fight and keep going back. That speaks volumes about his character.

    Translation, you can dissent all that you want, especially in the Political section, but popping off at the mouth won't get you very far here.

    There are a number of members here with outstanding qualifications and experience behind their opinions, so think about that before you question them with Internet links and news articles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •