Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101113 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydration systems

Thumbs up

thanks for the answer

No problem, hope that answered your question.

It did

I am off hiking in BC in Canada next week with the wife and kids, and my youngest was asking for a camelbak, I might treat him now

thanks

Craig

Great piece of kit, I've got three. never had an issue, I have been known to abuse mine.

only thing that ive ever see go wrong is the big camelbak setups where its part of a 3 day pack...hard use and the o rings tend to let go and leave you with a very wet behind. happened to a cupla guys on a run we went on once with assault packs, 2 of em had the things burst. other'n that, easy way to check how full it is...reach back n squeeze it. you can also tell your low when the water starts to come thru the hose with air in it.

Once you wear it a few times you can generally tell where you are in terms of when you'll run out. I can't tell by swishing mine, though. The resivour compresses when I drink so I don't get the slosh slosh like a canteen.

I meant that if you bounce around a little you can tell how much water is left by how much it tosses about, not so much like swishing water around in a canteen.

The bottom line is that it's pretty easy to tell how much water you have left.

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted kayaker's Avatar
    At the wall table of a greasy spoon cafeteria with a battered,red Mini outside..with Mary on my mind

Make sure to clean it frequently... or else it becomes a bjtch to do so. CB cleaning kits are expensive, try looking for a platypus version, less painful on the wallet...!! Leaving it out in the sun for a short period also helps.

A general rule of thumb: dont touch the last quater until you reached your new supply point.. most problems on trips arise during the last part because people start to relax/slack.. you never know when you do need that quater!!

Never had a problem with my camelbak, although I did destroy one bladder through sheer idiocy. It was strapped to the outside of my 50lbs ruck, so when we got back from our 10k ruckmarch I pulled the quick release straps and the thing landed on the pavement with a resounding THUD, camelbak side down.

Aside from that one exploding, I've never had mine leak.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Personally, I have never understood the appeal of these things, or why everyone in the military loves them so much.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Keep in mind, I was always in a mech unit, so wearing a cambelback while riding in a vehicle is uncomfortable. You also can get a cold back or a wet one if the water is cold or you get a leak. You also canít lean against anything for fear of puncturing or damaging the thing.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman]Canteens for me have always been the way to go. Besides, you canít pour water on your head or something else from a cambelback when youíre really hot. The only thing they have going for them is the amount of water you can carry.[/FONT]

Time spent on reconnaissance is seldom wasted kayaker's Avatar
    At the wall table of a greasy spoon cafeteria with a battered,red Mini outside..with Mary on my mind

P51,
    have you had limited experience with the things? Personnally they are the best thing since sliced bread:

1. the majority nowadays are insulated so they dont transfer temperature
    2. You can drive a truck over the platypus, Ive stood on mine, no big deal
    3. varities come with a large opening on top so you can use it easily in a river/pour it over your head
    4. the biggest advantage from a hydration pack is that you can drink hands free. You having been in the military yourself probably know that when out patrolling on foot, with a rifle in shoulder, keeping eyes on your arc, bergan on your back, it is impossible to open a (esspecially the 58' model) waterbottle pouch, get it out, unscrew it and drink from it all one-handed with a rifle in the other and on the move...

On the bike same thing... allowes for better and constant hydration

Best place to store them is in top pocket of bergan so gravity works with you and carry it in addition to the water bottle in your beltkit...IMHO

Always carry a spare bottle, as well as your hydration system, so when ur bag runs out, you know you have a spare/ also handy if your bag breaks(not that it will)

Sorry, but Camel bak has gone too far this time.. they should leave this kind of stuff to the pros, and try to make better hydration systems..

universally despised or know as Capt. Buzzkill. GoSka37's Avatar
    Moses Lake, WA and such. I drink your milkshake!

I dunno, I wouldn't mind the Delta-5 Tactical Backpack but the vest is a litt to.. erm... uhh... yeah taht's all i have to say about it.

wow c00lz0rz! imma by this and empress all meh softair freinds!

camelback FTW!

but yea it is a little overboard. whats the problem wiht it just being on your back.