Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111214 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydration systems

I would not knock it just yet I think its great that camelbak is making tacticle gear I have a few 100oz camelbak the models of which I can not remeber my favorit is the ACU pattern since it matches My uniform and IBA I have been using it for a while now and my IBA has some tears in it but my camelbak is good as new. Also I have a motherload that I use in place of my issue ruck and I love it here is a pic of it with a few add-ons. Again the cordura holds up nicely with now sighns of wear.
    BTW thanks for the post Brabo
    Attachments Pending Approval Attachments Pending Approval

Banned user

M.U.L.E. Max load?

Try source.

The Camelbak MULE is okay, it can carry little odds and ends, but nothing really substantial. I've found the pockets to be convenient, but too small.

The Camelbak HAWG I think is the best compromise between the patrol pack (Motherlode) and the MULE. It can carry pretty much anything you'd want to carry in a platform smaller than a patrol pack.

Here's a pic of the Motherlode for your reference. I've found it to be the best patrol pack I've ever had. I keep a SAW pouch on each side to increase storage capacity. NO COMPLAINTS!

Default CamelBak Hydration Packs- Pros & Cons?

Hi mates!I'm kinda new here and this would be my first question. This would be esecially directed to all combat troops in Iraq who used any of the CamelBak Hydration Pack series. First hand accounts are always welcome. So the question is: What are the Pros & Cons of the CamelBak. I have thought of buying one for wargames and trekking. Hope you can recommend me one! Thanks in advance and be safe!
    Last edited by goat89; 07-05-2006 at 08:11 PM.

I just posted this in another thread. Hope it helps! If you need a patrol pack sized hydration system, go with the Motherlode (the BFM is a little on the big side). Stick with the Motherlode and she won't let you down.

If you need something a little smaller, go with the HAWG.

Never had a problem with anything made by Camelbak...

The Camelbak MULE is okay, it can carry little odds and ends, but nothing really substantial. I've found the pockets to be convenient, but too small.

The Camelbak HAWG I think is the best compromise between the patrol pack (Motherlode) and the MULE. It can carry pretty much anything you'd want to carry in a platform smaller than a patrol pack.

Here's a pic of the Motherlode for your reference. I've found it to be the best patrol pack I've ever had. I keep a SAW pouch on each side to increase storage capacity. NO COMPLAINTS!

at the local cafeteria, hitting on the lunch ladies

I use one of the models made for civvies, its a small 2.0 liter model with a single small pocket. Mine works well so far, I don't carry much additional stuff, so I didn't go with the HAWG. Just make sure to empty the bladder when you're done with it, and then leave the fill cap open and bite the valve and blow any residual water back into the bladder and dump it out. When doing this, I've never had any problems with mildew, and I've never bought one of the cleaning kits either.

Just use it for water though, loading it up with Gatorade or sports drinks just makes it a pain to clean later. That and any drips will leave a sticky residue.

I use to have a BFM and I loved the thing. it was bloody huge, I mean when I was mechanized I was using that over what was issued to me since it was a bit more compact but I could still carry the same amount of kit required to do the job.
    I know use one of their normal 3L ones, and have been for the last two years. other then needing to replace the bite valve, I have not had any problems with it at all. other then maybe it's somewhat akwards if you throw your rucksack overtop of the camelbak can make the ruck not fit properly on your back and you do the wobble walk.
    so long as you clean it properly every two or three months (speaking of which I should clean mine soon), the bladder will last you for a long time.
    Greg

I got a Thermobak 3L, best piece of kit I've ever bought. No problems with mine at all.

As for the rucksack, I just tuck mine above the main pocket an under the flap. or attach it to the outside with D-Rings. I've had no problems doing it either way.
    Last edited by DnA; 07-05-2006 at 10:50 PM.

I have a few camel packs that I use while skiing and climbing. Climbing it tends to stay at base but works well to carry gear to the face. I have never had a problem with them. If you are using one for war-gamming it should more then cover your needs. Hope this helps.

I like my MULE for day hikes and mt. biking, but my water tastes like plastic. I can't get rid of it. I've tried baking soda, lemon juice, denture cleaning tablets....nothing works.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated! And Yo USMC Tanker! You a leatherneck in the sandbox? If you are be safe! SEMPER FIDELIS mate!
    Last edited by goat89; 07-05-2006 at 08:22 PM.

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto Defendant
    I like my MULE for day hikes and mt. biking, but my water tastes like plastic. I can't get rid of it. I've tried baking soda, lemon juice, denture cleaning tablets....nothing works.

Anyone else have this problem?
    Try running some lemon drink through there for a couple of days, really let the flavour soak in. I found that the flavoured drink taste was pretty easy to remove with baking soda and the plastic taste wasn't there afterwards.

woah nice tactic! Will try if it happens to me!

Cover me in chocolate and throw me to the Lesbians ¯\(º_o)/¯

I´ve got the Camelbak Mule. I like it, its not to huge or cumbersome. The pockets are big enough to carry a MRE in it or somethinge else.

Jarhead