Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141517 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydration systems

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Nowadays? Out of my sac and down the shoulder strap - but I'm a stinking civvy now.

Back in the day. Out of my sac and down the shoulder of my vest or rig. I wanted to be able to ditch my sac (or get in it fast) easily...
    Hum...this must be a problem with the standard IBA.

I have. They're great for running with in hot weather, good for speed marches (hydrate or die ) and buuger all good in the field. They get manky, give you D&V and the hose gets in the way.
    Hear, hear.

I have the thermobak and am happy with its performance. They are very well made and with the large opening, very easy to fill.

The downside is cleaning- drying out the bladder and hose is next to impossible. They claim that there is an anti-microbial compound that inhibits bacteria growth, but I prefer to dry it out completely to be sure.

RR

"It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar

I have. They're great for running with in hot weather, good for speed marches (hydrate or die ) and buuger all good in the field. They get manky, give you D&V and the hose gets in the way.
    hmmm, you pretty much summed up in two sentences what took me a paragraph or so.

I guess that's why I'm still in and you're living it up on civvy street.

"It's a Toyota D*ckhead" Beowulf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sand Man View Post
    Yep.

Got pics of you in them with TONs of stuff?
    you taking the piss?

refering to them in Iraq i ditched mine because it is much simpler to manage a water bottle in your truck, i have only used mine on the occasional OP. a problem that helped with the stupid hose was getting a carabiner to run it through. just my thoughts on the camel back.

Quote Originally Posted by AUDIEM249 View Post
    refering to them in Iraq i ditched mine because it is much simpler to manage a water bottle in your truck, i have only used mine on the occasional OP. a problem that helped with the stupid hose was getting a carabiner to run it through. just my thoughts on the camel back.
    550 probably works a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
    I guess that's why I'm still in and you're living it up on civvy street.
    Come to the dark side young Beo you know it makes sense

Cannot say enough good things about mine in terms of trekking/running around the woods. When my nipple gets dirty I pull a little maneuver kinda like cleaning the threads of a Nalgene where I cup my hand around the nip, squeeze a little, and then rub the dirt off, anything that stays on well, that adds to my daily protein intake hasn't gotten me sick yet. I've gotten it pretty dirty, but nothing close to what people are probably experiencing with the talcum powder sand in Iraq.

this should help

Exclamation Hydration systems for running

What are the best hydration packs out there for running NOT walking or hiking. I've read through some of the camelbak threads, however it doesn't seem to be directed towards runners. I know someone who used a belt with bottles that fit into small pouches who say these are far better than camelbak. However the 'camelbak' appeals more to me, but I heard it isn't the best for running as it can cause friction marks. Does anyone have any first hand info or knowledge in this area? I'm looking out for a slim, 2L one something nice and compact. Regards

"Wise and Grumpy" Ban Stick Wielder of Death digrar's Avatar
    "I'll tell you what pressure is. Pressure is a Messerschmitt up your @r5e. Playing cricket is not"

I do have first hand knowledge of friction burn/rash from camelbak straps. I hardened up and worked through them.

I never run far enough to be in need of water during my run. My father, however, is an exelent marathon runner (even in his 50s). He always uses belts with pouches for small bottles. You can get these in most sports-stores and they come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

As you said camel-back systems ar more for hikers. The ruck-sack type of carrying is more stressfull than belt-carrying when running, pluss: have you ever tried to drink through a tube while running? its not fun

Bottles are a better choise IMO.

Cheers!

Well I wont be running marathons, but I do need water. I run in 35-40 degree celcius heat in the sun, so keeping hydrated is a must. Yea from what i've heard the belts are good because they reduce friction, but it doesn't seem as practical as the camelbak

Needing to drink water is a crutch.....

--KG

Check out Hydrastorm, it's a company similar to Camelback but they offer waste-packs or fanny packs that hold around 2L of water.