Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: Hydration systems

Needing to drink water is a crutch.....

--KG

Check out Hydrastorm, it's a company similar to Camelback but they offer waste-packs or fanny packs that hold around 2L of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie View Post
    Well I wont be running marathons, but I do need water. I run in 35-40 degree celcius heat in the sun, so keeping hydrated is a must. Yea from what i've heard the belts are good because they reduce friction, but it doesn't seem as practical as the camelbak
    You shouldnt run at all then. It's not only hydration, but heigh temps will cause serious problems if youre exposed to them under physical stress. e.g Sun pass (dont know if its the correct translation, though) and simple overheating.

Quote Originally Posted by CoRe View Post
    You shouldnt run at all then. It's not only hydration, but heigh temps will cause serious problems if youre exposed to them under physical stress. e.g Sun pass (dont know if its the correct translation, though) and simple overheating.
    I can cope in that temperatue, thing is I share a hydration belt with a friend who i run with, and it would be more practical to have my own.

Once the temperate increases i'll be running indoors.

I use a Camelback for running and it works quite well. I bought a completly cheap Camelback imitation and took out the poor quality bladder. As a bladder I took my issued Camelback. The advantage of the small backpack are its chest and waist belt so that it has a tight fit. The one here looks quite equal but mine costed half of that.

http://www.recon-company.com/Trinkru...68-1022-d.html

And running in 35 C is of course not very healthy but I'm also doing that in summer or vacation and I'm still alive. You must only watch out not to overheat, dehydrate and also compensate the salt loss. If you run longer distances (20k+) you should take at least two bottles. One with normal water and one with some kind sport drink (not this sweet stuff, salts are important). Bottles are better for that because they are easier to clean.
    So have fun in the sun!

Yea unfortunately the climate here is very hot, and in the winter it will get down to 20C. I am only running short distances for now, so a large pack is not needed. That pack in the link does seem rather large compared to say the 'Camelbak thermobak'.

Tactical Plumber - Pontificator on all matters DPM - NATO stock numbers a speciality Lerch's Avatar

Buy something like a pistol belt and just one or two canteens on them. Camelbaks are great and all, but you loose breath when you're sucking on them, not exactly a good thing while running.

Most running shops sell neoprene belts which fit water bottles in. They look like weight lifters back supports but I would imagine that are fairly comfortable and better than a camelback for 'bounce'.

Do you run completely exposed to sun? Perhaps it would be better to have a route where you only run a couple miles at a time before you stop in some shade and stretch/drink.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabre View Post
    Most running shops sell neoprene belts which fit water bottles in. They look like weight lifters back supports but I would imagine that are fairly comfortable and better than a camelback for 'bounce'.

Do you run completely exposed to sun? Perhaps it would be better to have a route where you only run a couple miles at a time before you stop in some shade and stretch/drink.
    Yea always in the sun. I only run short distance 3 miles or so. However this is still enough for me to require a hydration system in 40 or so degrees. :P

three miles is not enough to die of dehydraton save your pennies, your legs your effort and your pride by getting home sooner and having a drink when you get back
    a dry mouth isnt the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by ublekuh View Post
    don't use dish soap..... i didn't rinse it too well, and so next time i went for a run i got a mouth full of soapy water.
    I use dishsoap, but a little goes a long way. I use only a drop or so, and also I have some biodegradable soap. It is actually edible, just in case. On the label is says "in case of accidental injestion, drink plenty of water". The first time I put too much in and got some residue, but now I use one drop, rinse well and have good luck. I have probably cleaned it 10 times or so.

Quote Originally Posted by JVeld View Post
    Just put some Bacardi 151 ....that will do the job !!!
    Hooah Jveld!

After cleaning rinse with mouth wash. It gives the water a nice minty taste.

I just found one of my old camelbacks in real **** state with black stuff growing in it, so I just binned it. But it got me wondering, Ill bet that is what the inside of our old green/black canteens looked like. I mean I never cleaned mine with bleach or anything, and didnt know anyone who did. I think I wiil spray paint my camelback so I cant see whats going on inside anymore!

Milton tablets/fluid - the stuff you use for sterilising baby bottles - cheap, safe and it works