Page 1 of 142 1234567891151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Bush War Phtotographs

Banned user

Default Rhodesian Bush War Phtotographs

Greetings Everyone,

I am a long-time viewer, and first time poster here on Militaryphotos.net. I have developed a keen interest in the Rhodesian Bush War (As evident by my self-deprecating screen-name, LOL.) and thought that some of you folks might enjoy some of the photos that I recently came across in the link below.

LINK:

Rhodesian Photographs

Regards,

BDP

P.S. Thank you to everyone at MP.net for all of your efforts, photos, and information. I have learned a great deal about the military side of our world via your collective efforts. I hope that this contribution is an acceptable reciprocation.

Thank you for the photos, and welcome to Mp.net.

watch out for the weirdos

Banned user

Quote Originally Posted by Pidyon Shevuyim View Post

watch out for the weirdos
    LOL, no worries mate. I feel that I should probably point out that the majority of the photos at that site are attenuated towards the Rhodesian Air Forces' role in the Bush War, but there are 56 pages of photographs there, and many of them feature other units involved in the conflict. I would also like to direct you specifically to a photo on page 5, 3rd row, 1st picture; a stunning image of Rhodesian Fireforce Para's deplaning from several DC3's sometime around 1977. It is my current wallpaper, and I consider it a personal favorite from the collection. Perhaps you will as well.

Cheers,

BDP

Welcome and many thanks for the link.
    P.S the Dakota pic is indeed stunning.

Thanks for the pictures man

Quote Originally Posted by BloodDiamondPants View Post
    I would also like to direct you specifically to a photo on page 5, 3rd row, 1st picture; a stunning image of Rhodesian Fireforce Para's deplaning from several DC3's sometime around 1977.
    That really is a great picture.

If you are interested I have several pics of the RhAF 1st 2nd and 3rd Sqn I can post.

Banned user

Pidyon Shevuyim, I would be delighted to see any photos that you have of this brave country, and her fighting men (and women). Thank You.

(Errata: Oh dear, it appears that I fat-fingered the word "Photographs" in the title of this thread. Please forgive my mistake.)

Nice pics.

Rhodesian aircraft from the 1st Sqn. I'll post more later when I get home.

Banned user

Outstanding! Who could not love that brilliant old Hunter in her Rhodesian garb? Thank you.

In the 6th photograph from the top; can you identify what town that is; Umtali perhaps?

If you are interested--and located at the site previously listed--there are photos of the crash site in Mocambique that claimed one of the intrepid Rhodesian Hunters during a cross-border operation in 1979 (I want to say that these photos are near the end of the 56 page spread there). Very little remained of the aircraft, but it is an interesting story non-the-less.

Please, keep them coming if you are so inclined. There is so little available about this war, and every bit is a cherished article to me; as I'm sure it is to many others.

Here is a link to some video media concerning Rhodesia and her struggle:

LINK:

Rhodesian Film Archive

Regards,

BDP
    Last edited by BloodDiamondPants; 05-16-2008 at 03:45 PM.

hahaha BloodDiamonPants,

sincerely BDP hahahaha man i needed that.

Talking

Nope its amazingly enough Cape Town?

Just like the picture is called.

Umtali was a few more miles away from the mountains than that

Banned user

Ahh, I did not realize that you could right-click on the individual photos and see a name in the URL. Thanks for the clarification. I thought it looked odd, so I just took a wild shot-in-the-dark.

RRAR 2nd Sqn

Banned user

My goodness! I have never laid eyes on most of these photos. Just beautiful! I recently read Group Captain PJH Petter-Bowyer's memoir "Winds of Destruction" (and a fine read it is at that) where he spoke at length about the Rhodesian Vampires, but there were not many pictures of them. Some of these photo's look like they were taken last week. Where on earth did you find them; if you don't mind the inquiry? (and by that I mean to say the photos that do not have a tag on them of course) I wish I could find some video of them making ground attacks, but most of what is available is only of the Hunters.