Page 2 of 144 FirstFirst 123456789101252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Rhodesian Bush War Phtotographs

I got all these pictures from the member vulcanxm603 here on MP.net. I think alot of the older ones, he scanned from books...I have more of the 3rd Sqn that i will post in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodDiamondPants View Post
    Greetings Everyone,

I am a long-time viewer, and first time poster here on Militaryphotos.net. I have developed a keen interest in the Rhodesian Bush War (As evident by my self-deprecating screen-name, LOL.) and thought that some of you folks might enjoy some of the photos that I recently came across in the link below.

LINK:

Rhodesian Photographs

Regards,

BDP

P.S. Thank you to everyone at MP.net for all of your efforts, photos, and information. I have learned a great deal about the military side of our world via your collective efforts. I hope that this contribution is an acceptable reciprocation.
    First I have to say. Welcome to MILL... And yes there are some weirdows.... LOL

VERY impressive collection and due the size I have to ask, are you a reseacher, historian??

Bar Fly, Junior Sleuth and MP.Net flat-pack furniture consultant.

Amazing collection of pictures BDP. Thanks for sharing!

Banned user

Hello Boy1000,

To answer your question; I'm neither a researcher, historian, soldier, or even the creator of the site that I linked. I am simply an enthusiast, and nothing more. I can honestly say that before seeing the movie "Blood Diamond" I did not even know that Rhodesia was ever a country (an embarrassing fact in hindsight, but the truth is the truth). However, from small beginnings often come great things, and I have taken that initial impetuous, and I have run with it. I have recently completed my 12th book on the subject of the Rhodesian Bush War. I have searched online for content for more hours that I would be proud to admit to. And the more that I find out about the subject, the more questions I want answered. What I have gained out of all of this is an undying respect for what the Rhodesians attempted (and in some ways succeeded in), and an insatiable appetite for more. I will say that I hold the Rhodesians in an almost Thermopylae-esqe kind of awe (but that is a personal take on the subject that is highly debatable I'm sure; It is just how I currently see it). So, the short answer is "no" and the long answer is "someday?" LOL. Thanks for the reply mate.

Best Wishes,

BDP
    Last edited by BloodDiamondPants; 05-16-2008 at 06:10 PM.

Here's some stuff I scanned from an old Soldier of Fortune magazine.
    I've got another old classic Rhodesian war related issue here somewhere I'll scan if I can find it.

Banned user

May you live to be 1,000 years old sir! Thank you.

May you live to be 1,000 years old sir! Thank you.
    Hell, I feel like I'm half way there already, but thanks bro!

Here's another. I'll try to dig up even more later. Enjoy.

Banned user

Absolutely fantastic! I can not thank you enough. Information like this is neigh lost to the sands of time. Thank you for providing a rare window into the past for us. I have saved each and every photocopy and plan to study them at length. A real rarity, wow!

Default If you should write a Book on this topic....

Hello Boy1000,

To answer your question; I'm neither a researcher, historian, soldier, or even the creator of the site that I linked. I am simply an enthusiast, and nothing more. I can honestly say that before seeing the movie "Blood Diamond" I did not even know that Rhodesia was ever a country (an embarrassing fact in hindsight, but the truth is the truth). However, from small beginnings often come great things, and I have taken that initial impetuous, and I have run with it. I have recently completed my 12th book on the subject of the Rhodesian Bush War. I have searched online for content for more hours that I would be proud to admit to. And the more that I find out about the subject, the more questions I want answered. What I have gained out of all of this is an undying respect for what the Rhodesians attempted (and in some ways succeeded in), and an insatiable appetite for more. I will say that I hold the Rhodesians in an almost Thermopylae-esqe kind of awe (but that is a personal take on the subject that is highly debatable I'm sure; It is just how I currently see it). So, the short answer is "no" and the long answer is "someday?" LOL. Thanks for the reply mate.

Best Wishes,

BDP
    Chief.

Normally I hate books related to MILL and SOF in special. In this situation due to the conflict is over and the country do not "exist", I am pro to document so information do not get lost.

Due a very good network of mine within SOF around the world you are not so possible to be impressed by personal accounts but 1 have stuck out, Absolutely.

In early 2000 I in US meet a US-South African citizen who was applying for a job within the PMC Circuit. His cv was impressive, so naturally we had to check it out.

He was former member of Rhodesian SAS for a x amount of time. He after Rhodesia SAS went to South Africa, 6 Reconnaissance Commando then 1st and 5th.

I have not contact with the dude anymore but IF you should write a book, I think He is the right person to explain the complexity of the conflict. It is critically to get BOTH side of a story, especially th way South Africa are going these days. Let me hear your thoughts Chief

Banned user

Hello Boy1000,

Thank you for a very interesting post. I must admit, however, that I am having a bit of trouble deciphering some of what was said; specifically the following sentence:

“Due a very good network of mine within SOF around the world you are not so possible to be impressed by personal accounts but 1 have stuck out, Absolutely.”

In-so-far as me writing a book about Rhodesia; that is a tough one. Firstly, Rhodesia is still very much “living history” with many of its participants still very much alive, and many only in their mid-40’s in age. There are a goodly number of books already written, and in limited worldwide printing circulation by people who where there. As I was not there personally—and in many cases not even born when when said events occurred—I really feel that I would be overstepping my bounds in writing about something that I have only read about myself. I would very much like to do something like write a book, but at the present time I feel that the “floor” as it were, belongs to those living memoirs currently in circulation, and to those yet to be written by the major participants. I am in contact with a couple of people who served in the conflict late in the war, and am currently trying to encourage one of them to write his own memoirs about the war. I suppose what I am trying to say in a nutshell here is: “I would enjoy writing a book myself, but feel that it is not proper for me to do so at this time; it’s just not my place.”

Now, with all that said, I may very well write something at a later date, You are very correct about hearing from both sides of the conflict (or in this case all 4, 5, and 6 of them) but there is almost nothing available from the terrorist side of the conflict to study that I have found. I shall redouble my efforts in this regard though, because I think you make a good point about doing so. I must admit that my own bias make this somewhat difficult, as I am a staunch anti-communist, but I will do my best to be “fair.”

In my experience Special Forces types do not really enjoy talking about their pasts, and I have too much respect for them to pry. I would very much love to talk with the man that you described, but it is probably best to allow those men to approach you rather than vice-versa. Thank you for the offer however, and if you ever speak to him, and he does express interest in telling his history to anyone; I would like to be the first to take notes. That much is certain.

This whole endeavor is very much a fine line for me. I want to know, but I also don’t want to overstep my bounds. So, in the meantime, I just collect as much information as I can for my own personal enjoyment, and hang on to it. You never know what the future might hold; Maybe something, maybe nothing.

Thanks again for the reply and take care.

Best Regards,

BDP

I was kind of lost after reading much of that post also.

Hello Boy1000,

Thank you for a very interesting post. I must admit, however, that I am having a bit of trouble deciphering some of what was said; specifically the following sentence:

“Due a very good network of mine within SOF around the world you are not so possible to be impressed by personal accounts but 1 have stuck out, Absolutely.”

In-so-far as me writing a book about Rhodesia; that is a tough one. Firstly, Rhodesia is still very much “living history” with many of its participants still very much alive, and many only in their mid-40’s in age. There are a goodly number of books already written, and in limited worldwide printing circulation by people who where there. As I was not there personally—and in many cases not even born when when said events occurred—I really feel that I would be overstepping my bounds in writing about something that I have only read about myself. I would very much like to do something like write a book, but at the present time I feel that the “floor” as it were, belongs to those living memoirs currently in circulation, and to those yet to be written by the major participants. I am in contact with a couple of people who served in the conflict late in the war, and am currently trying to encourage one of them to write his own memoirs about the war. I suppose what I am trying to say in a nutshell here is: “I would enjoy writing a book myself, but feel that it is not proper for me to do so at this time; it’s just not my place.”

Now, with all that said, I may very well write something at a later date, You are very correct about hearing from both sides of the conflict (or in this case all 4, 5, and 6 of them) but there is almost nothing available from the terrorist side of the conflict to study that I have found. I shall redouble my efforts in this regard though, because I think you make a good point about doing so. I must admit that my own bias make this somewhat difficult, as I am a staunch anti-communist, but I will do my best to be “fair.”

In my experience Special Forces types do not really enjoy talking about their pasts, and I have too much respect for them to pry. I would very much love to talk with the man that you described, but it is probably best to allow those men to approach you rather than vice-versa. Thank you for the offer however, and if you ever speak to him, and he does express interest in telling his history to anyone; I would like to be the first to take notes. That much is certain.

This whole endeavor is very much a fine line for me. I want to know, but I also don’t want to overstep my bounds. So, in the meantime, I just collect as much information as I can for my own personal enjoyment, and hang on to it. You never know what the future might hold; Maybe something, maybe nothing.

Thanks again for the reply and take care.

Best Regards,

BDP

Chief

English is my second language, and this post was not my finest hour. I will read my replies better prior to submit....

To my understanding Sir, many people that was fighting on Rhodesian side, feels that the story are not right anymore. You are absolutely right normally good operators would never go public, and that is also the case here, but as "guidence" cross checking he, I think are interested to participate in a sober project.

Due to especially ANC is a one party system in SA, some feels that they will forget the real history. This is the motivation for some to document this.

Quote Originally Posted by boy1000 View Post
    Chief

English is my second language, and this post was not my finest hour. I will read my replies better prior to submit....

To my understanding Sir, many people that was fighting on Rhodesian side, feels that the story are not right anymore. You are absolutely right normally good operators would never go public, and that is also the case here, but as "guidence" cross checking he, I think are interested to participate in a sober project.

Due to especially ANC is a one party system in SA, some feels that they will forget the real history. This is the motivation for some to document this.
    It sounds like you are mixing up two counties. Rhodesia became Zimbabwe with the Zanu-PF as the ruling party. In South Africa the ANC came to power.

Yankeebobb,

Thanks so much for the scans, much, much appreciated! One question, is the article about Cuban Mercs in Angola a seperate piece, and if so, would you be so kind as to scan and post that too? Would be much appreciated!!

PS. I don't know anything about SOF, but I assume they had articles on the SADF throughout the years? They seem to be republican and anti-communist, so did they do "fair" reporting on the Angolan war? If anyone has any SADF info from SOF to share I'll kiss your feet.