[CENTER][FONT=arial][SIZE=5]Between 13 and 15 combat aircraft, a minimum for our defense
[/FONT]Le Temps, nov 25
Parliament has set the 3 parameters affecting the development of our army: 100,000 men, 5 billion annual budget and the partial replacement of the Tiger. The thoughs below illuminate the last parameter cited, said the former army chief Christophe Keckeis.
Choice of the aircraft:
Six key parameters must be considered in the choice of the aircraft:
- First, the candidate must exist in the proposed configuration and all the missions expected must be fully developed and must have been demonstrated in real commitment. This requirement eliminates the risks of moving from a prototype to a finished system.
- The aircraft must remain longer in production. It is important in order to present a real option when it will be necessary to replace our F/A-18, after 2030 or so, to have a homogeneous fleet in order to reduce operating costs.
- The aircraft must have a life span of 40 years in order to ensure sustainability. [summary]
- The candidate must have a development potential corresponding to the expected life.
- Fifth, the choice the best offer should cover all of the proposed package, including the valuable potential of industrial and operational bilateral cooperation. [summary]
- Finally, the state which offers its aircraft must have the greatest possible interest to have a reliable and high quality Swiss air defense . This ensures , in times of crisis, a potential for additional deliveries and optimal variants of cooperation
The acquisition cost is not itself a decisive criterion. All the arguments mentioned above must be taken into account.