Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: The Battle Of Chosin Reservoir - at Yudam-ni

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I left the board. Thank you all for great years.

    Default The Battle Of Chosin Reservoir - at Yudam-ni

    This battle on frigid ground remains one of the most infamous engagements of the Korean War.

    By Gina DiNicolo

    It was Thanksgiving 1950 at North Korea?s Chosin Reservoir, and nighttime
    temperatures plunged to 30 degrees below zero. The ground was frozen solid.
    Night fell at 4:30 p.m., and light did not return for nearly 16 hours. This was
    an inhospitable place, even for the battle-tested men of the 1st Marine Division
    and the Army?s 7th Infantry Division, some of whom had fought through the worst
    of World War II.

    Five months earlier, on June 25, the North Korean People?s Army (NKPA) invaded
    South Korea, shattering the five-year-old peace. President Truman?s response was
    swift and decisive, as was that of the newly formed United Nations. U.S. air and
    sea assets were committed immediately, and ground troops were committed June 30.
    Army Gen. Douglas MacArthur was put in charge of the U.N. Command, which
    included combat and medical units from 22 nations.

    At first, the NKPA moved down the Korean Peninsula with relative ease. But on
    Sept. 15, MacArthur launched his brilliant amphibious landing of X Corps at
    Inch?on, deep behind enemy lines. The landing of the 1st Marine Division opened
    the door for an allied victory. The Army?s 7th Infantry Division came ashore and
    fought beside the Marines to recapture Seoul. Within weeks, the North Koreans
    were pushed back across the 38th parallel.

    Once there, American and U.N. leadership, civilian and military alike, decided
    to keep fighting all the way to the Yalu River, North Korea?s border with China,
    intending to destroy the NKPA and unify the two Koreas under South Korean
    President Syngman Rhee. The allies were on the offensive, and most believed they
    would be home by Christmas. But Chinese leaders, with a large standing army,
    warned more than once they would intervene if U.N. forces crossed the 38th

    Not Ready for War
    The U.S. military was not ready for a ground war. After World War II and the
    debut of the atomic bomb, the Army and Marine Corps were rapidly demobilized.
    Equipment budgets were slashed. In its new role as a peacekeeping force, the
    Army of June 1950 was ill-equipped, understrength, and poorly trained. The
    Marine Corps, suffering a similar lack of resources, had continued to train for

    As the Marine Corps and Army prepared to cross the 38th parallel, MacArthur
    ordered Lt. Gen. Walton H. Walker?s Eighth U.S. Army up the west side of the
    peninsula. MacArthur divided X Corps, commanded by Maj. Gen. Edward M. Almond,
    landing the 1st Marine Division (under Maj. Gen. O.P. Smith) at Wonsan on Oct.
    26 and the Army?s 7th Infantry Division (commanded by Maj. Gen. David G. Barr)
    at Iwon on Oct. 29. The Army?s 7th Infantry Division was least prepared for war.
    It had been *****ped of many experienced officers and NCOS to fill the three
    divisions that first deployed to Korea.

    Although orders changed many times, the plan was for the Marines to attack from
    Yudam-ni at the Chosin Reservoir, moving north and west, and ultimately meet the
    Eighth U.S. Army and cut off the NKPA in a pincer movement. The 31st Regimental
    Combat Team (RCT), composed of elements of the 7th Division, would attack
    northward along the east side of the Chosin. The 3rd Infantry Division (under
    Maj. Gen. Robert H. Soule) would hold the areas of Wonson and Hungnam and keep
    the roads open.

    These forces would not have communication with one another ? X Corps and Eighth
    U.S. Army had a mountain range between them, while the reservoir separated the
    Marines from the 31st RCT. MacArthur?s commanders were outraged that the forces
    were divided ? and therefore vulnerable ? but their protests accomplished

    First Enemy Engagements
    As the allied forces moved north, the Chinese first hit them in early November.
    Aerial reconnaissance pilots reported Chinese forces massing on the Yalu, and by
    mid-November, Chinese strength at the Yalu was estimated at 300,000, but
    MacArthur discounted these reports.

    These early battles were intense but brief; the Chinese retreated into the hills
    as quickly as they appeared. The Chinese Communist Forces? (CCF?s) first
    offensive tested allied capability and put the Eighth U.S. Army and X Corps in
    check until the Chinese were ready for a more massive engagement. This tactic of
    pulling back lured the Americans deeper into enemy territory. Time was on
    China?s side: While American units moved through North Korea, a pleasant October
    autumn became an early, bitterly cold winter.

    Uneasy about the Chinese threat, Smith moved the 1st Marine Division north
    carefully, keeping his units close together to avoid being separated. He
    stockpiled supplies and ammunition and stationed units along the division?s main
    supply route (MSR) to keep it open. In all but ignoring MacArthur?s order for
    speed, Smith incensed Almond.

    Col. Lewis B. ?Chesty? Puller, commander of the 1st Marines, would hold the MSR.
    His 1st Battalion held Chinhung-ni at the base of the Fuchilin Pass; the 2nd
    Battalion was with Puller at Koto-ri, 11 miles up the road; the 3rd Battalion
    would support Smith?s headquarters at Hagaru-ri, at the base of the reservoir.

    The 31st RCT, East of Chosin
    On the east side of the reservoir, the 5th Marines (under Lt. Col. Raymond L.
    Murray) protected the Marines? right flank until they were relieved by Army Lt.
    Col. Don Faith?s 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry. Before moving toward Yudam-ni to
    join the 7th Marines, Murray warned Faith about the enemy presence and advised
    him to keep his forces tight.

    By Nov. 27, more elements of the 31st RCT, commanded by Army Col. Alan D.
    MacLean, arrived east of the reservoir. The 31st RCT was hastily thrown together
    ? composed of whichever units could move to replace the 5th Marines soonest.
    These included the 1st Battalion of the 32nd Infantry, the 3rd Battalion of the
    31st Infantry, the 57th Field Artillery Battalion, and the 31st Tank Company.
    The 2nd Battalion, 31st Infantry never made it to the reservoir.

    Faith moved his men far forward to occupy the area left by the 5th Marines ? an
    area too large for one battalion. The remainder of the 31st RCT set up a second
    perimeter to the south. Again, forces were divided with an enemy threat present.
    The perimeters were loose, but MacLean planned to attack first thing in the
    morning. Few seemed worried about the dangerous situation for one night; men of
    the 31st RCT later said they didn?t believe the warnings about the Chinese.

    Meanwhile, Smith continued north from Koto-ri and established his command post
    at Hagaru-ri. He ordered air*****s scratched from the frozen earth there and at
    Koto-ri. His solid protection of the MSR and the air*****s would prove crucial
    to the breakout of the Marines and soldiers.

    Over in the west, unknown to X Corps, a massive force of 18 Chinese divisions
    had attacked the Eighth U.S. Army on Nov. 25 and nearly destroyed it. Within two
    days it was in full retreat, but for the moment, MacArthur kept his commanders
    in the east in the dark.

    Surprised by the Chinese
    On Nov. 27, the reunited 5th and 7th Marine Regiments began their attack north
    from Yudam-ni. They quickly ran into enemy resistance. The 7th Marines
    commander, Col. Homer L. Litzenburg Jr., sent Fox 2/7 to hold the high ground at
    Toktong Pass. The subsequent success of the fighting withdrawal depended on the
    tenacity of the young company commander, Marine Capt. William Barber, and his
    men holding this crucial piece of ground.

    That night, as temperatures plunged well below zero in the rugged mountains of
    North Korea, three Chinese divisions sounded horns, whistles, and bugles and
    attacked the 5th and 7th Marine regiments at the reservoir. Smith?s worst fears
    became reality. That same night, MacLean?s men were jarred awake by more
    noisemakers as two Chinese divisions breached their perimeter. With all other
    officers in the area dead or wounded, Marine Capt. Ed Stamford, a World War II
    veteran and pilot attached to Faith with a team of four Marines as his tactical
    air control party, took command of A Company. Though not an infantryman, he
    rallied the company to repel the attack.

    When MacArthur got reports of the ferocious Chinese assault, he decided on Nov.
    29 that X Corps would withdraw to Hungnam while the weakened Eighth U.S. Army
    would try to hold P?yongyang. His late call proved fatal, and during the next
    two weeks, Marines and soldiers fought day and night to break out of the trap
    the Chinese had set.

    The CCF surrounded everybody ? the 11th Marines, the division?s artillery, and
    the 5th and 7th Marines at Yudam-ni; Fox Company at Toktong Pass; Smith and his
    men at Hagaru-ri; Puller at Koto-ri; and the 31st RCT east of Chosin. They
    attacked late at night and retreated to the mountains during the day when deadly
    American close-air support was on the scene. Forward air controllers like
    Stamford would direct these attacks with barely functioning radios. X Corps
    might have been lost but for Navy, Marine Corps, and Air Force pilots performing
    bombing runs, close-air support, supply and ammunition drops, and the evacuation
    of thousands of wounded.

    The 31st RCT continued to take heavy fire, and casualties mounted. The
    unbearable cold and frostbite took its toll. MacLean was injured, captured, and
    later reported dead; Faith was in charge. Though he was a World War II veteran
    with no combat experience, his men describe him today as a charismatic leader
    who worked hard to get everyone out alive.

    Faith?s Breakout
    After four nights and five days of mounting casualties with no relief or rescue
    in sight, Faith decided the 31st RCT would fight its way out. He radioed Smith
    at Hagaru-ri and asked for support. MacArthur and Barr also had talked to Smith
    about sending a team to rescue the 31st RCT (which had become known as Task
    Force Faith). But Smith?s situation was not much better. Under constant enemy
    attack, he had everyone ? including cooks and engineers ? on the line holding
    the perimeter. Diverting support to the east would probably spell the loss of
    Hagaru-ri, which in turn would mean the end of the 5th and 7th Marines. Faith
    was on his own.

    Faith?s plan was to move out as soon as air support was available Dec. 1. Clouds
    kept the unit in place until around 1 p.m., leaving less than four hours of
    daylight. The breakout moved quickly at first, then came under heavy fire and
    hit enemy roadblocks. Young officers pulled even younger soldiers together to
    continue the fight. NCOs like Cpl. George Pryor (the units were so jumbled up,
    the men thought he was a captain) rallied soldiers looking for leaders. It was
    the only way they would get out alive.

    Command and control were lost, and Task Force Faith was fighting its way out in
    small pieces. Lending to the confusion, communication was by voice only ?
    Stamford had the only working radio, and his was feverishly calling for air
    strikes and support. Ammo was low. Pilots tried to resupply the column, but some
    air drops drifted over to the enemy. Bullets rained down on the column. Soldiers
    took cover and returned fire as best they could, but they were surrounded.
    Stamford continued to call in air strikes, with the enemy so close that some
    Americans were hit by napalm.

    After about 4 miles, the column halted. The lead drivers were dead. Faith lay in
    a jeep dying, and his task force died with him. Organization broke down, and it
    was every man for himself. The enemy continued to close and kept firing.
    Officers and soldiers grabbed what wounded they could and fought their way out
    of what had become a death trap. Some played dead and escaped later. Those who
    did not get out were killed or captured.
    Many who made it out headed across the frozen, unprotected Chosin Reservoir.
    Over the next several days, hundreds walked, crawled, or were dragged across the
    ice to the Marines? perimeter 4 1/2 miles away at Hagaru-ri. A group of Marine
    volunteers and a Navy hospital corpsman led by Marine 1st Motor Transport
    Battalion Commander Lt. Col. Olin Beall spent several days out on the ice; they
    brought in about 320 soldiers in two days.
    Some members of Task Force Faith made it to Hagaru-ri on their own. One
    survivor, 1st Lt. John Gray, remembers a vigilant and suspicious Marine at the
    perimeter asking him for the password. After days of combat on the other side of
    the reservoir, who knew? The sergeant then asked Gray the location of several
    cities such as Dubuque, Des Moines, and Sioux City. Luckily, Gray knew his
    geography, and he and his men were welcomed into the perimeter.

    A total of about 1,050 of 31st RCT?s 2,500 had survived. About 385 were
    considered able-bodied and fought at Hagaru-ri and all the way to the sea. Barr,
    devastated by the loss of his men, was relieved of command shortly after Chosin.
    Many Army veterans believe that if the 31st RCT had not held and engaged two
    Chinese divisions for nearly five days, those fresh enemy units could have been
    deployed against the Marines at Hagaru-ri ? potentially disastrous for the 1st
    Marine Division. This is disputed by Marines.

    Attack in Another Direction
    Meanwhile, Smith had heard about MacArthur?s order to withdraw on Nov. 30 and
    reportedly huffed, ?It took them two days to decide this.? He ordered his 5th
    and 7th Marines to pull back to Hagaru-ri. This would not be easy: They were
    still surrounded at Yudam-ni, and the MSR was interrupted and full of enemy

    A reporter with Smith in Hagaru-ri labeled the Marine operation a retreat. Smith
    patiently explained that because they were surrounded and there was no rear,
    ?retreat? was inaccurate: They would have to fight their way out. People back
    home read, ?Retreat, hell, we?re just attacking in another direction.? Though
    not in Smith?s style, this was the perfect description of the Marines? problem
    and their solution, and he never denied the quote.

    The reporters also wanted time with the legendary Puller, who obliged with a
    highly quotable assessment of the situation: ?We?ve been looking for the enemy
    for several days now. We finally found them. We?re surrounded. That simplifies
    our problem of finding these people and killing them.?

    Back at Yudam-ni, Murray and Litzenburg decided to move by road during the day.
    Daylight gave them the advantage of air and artillery support. During the days
    and nights of battle, Barber and his company were alone (except for the enemy)
    at Toktong Pass. For the movement south, the pass had to be held, and Marine Lt.
    Col. Raymond G. Davis? 1st Battalion, 7th Marines was going to relieve Barber
    and secure it.

    Davis and his men were the first unit out of Yudam-ni. They traveled over the
    rough, steep terrain in dark, bitter cold ? something the Chinese would not
    expect ? and made it undetected by the enemy. Davis found that Barber and his
    men had held for five days despite relentless attacks. Casualties were high: Of
    200 men, 26 had been killed, 89 wounded, and three were missing. Air drops of
    ammo proved invaluable.

    Once Davis? men secured Toktong Pass, the 5th and 7th fought their way to
    Hagaru-ri. It took them 79 hours to travel 14 miles carrying the wounded and
    most of their equipment, but on Dec. 3, they entered the Hagaru-ri perimeter.
    Prisoner-of-war (POW) interrogations ? extremely reliable at this point in the
    war ? indicated at least seven CCF divisions near Hagaru-ri. The Chinese knew
    its strategic location was key to Marine Corps success breaking out.

    Once in Hagaru-ri, the 5th, 7th, and other units rested, regrouped, and prepared
    for their next move, south to Koto-ri. Air Force C-46s and C-47s and other U.N.
    aircraft began evacuation of about 4,300 wounded and frostbite victims. Smith
    gave the dead priority, which again outraged Almond, though Smith was adamant
    that fallen Marines held a special place and would be flown out first. About 140
    were flown to Japan, while more than 500 replacement combat Marines were flown

    Koto-ri, Fuchilin, Hungnam
    On Dec. 6, the men at Hagaru-ri began their 9-mile, 38-hour fight to Koto-ri.
    Despite CCF control of the road and many roadblocks, the lead units moved
    through and kept the road open for Hagaru-ri?s rear guard. About 10,000 men and
    1,000 vehicles reached the relative safety of Koto-ri. Once within the Koto-ri
    perimeter, most of the 1st Marine Division again was reunited. More wounded were
    evacuated from the Koto-ri air*****, and X Corps prepared for the 43-mile fight
    to the sea.

    Chinese pows revealed that Fuchilin Pass would be the site of a major enemy
    attack. A CCF division lay in wait, three other CCF divisions were in the area,
    and another two were held in reserve. Lt. Col. Donald M. Schmuck?s 1st
    Battalion, 1st Marines holding Chinhung-ni was rested and ready to go. On the
    snowy night of Dec. 8, they surprised the Chinese.

    Fuchilin Pass was the enemy?s last major offensive during the Chosin campaign.
    The CCF had overextended its supply lines, and its soldiers were suffering from
    the cold and lack of food. The enemy would continue to launch minor assaults,
    but they were minimal compared to the force with which the CCF struck at the

    Smith and his men reached Hungnam on Dec. 11, and by Dec. 15, Navy ships
    transported them south. Smith?s insight and careful, deliberate style made him
    the ideal commanding general for Chosin. He was fortunate to have talented,
    experienced leadership from Puller, Murray, Litzenburg, Davis, and others. While
    his men fought together like a machine, it was his uncommon understanding of the
    situation ? and a certain amount of luck ? that ensured the story of Chosin
    Reservoir would become part of American military lore.

    ?Gina DiNicolo is a retired Marine Corps officer and a 1984 graduate of the U.S.
    Naval Academy. Currently, she writes and edits for the 50th Anniversary of the
    Korean War Commemoration Committee. For additional information about events
    related to the Korean War anniversary, visit TROA?s links page,

  2. #2
    Minister of Propaganda mattnwnc03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003


    man thats true hell,cold ,outgunned,outmanned.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    I left the board. Thank you all for great years.


    Colonel Davis achieved concentration of his forces during the breakout by massing the effects of his battalion formation and weapon systems as well as exploiting the success from his actions (FM 100-5, p. 7-2). Concentrating his force, he attacked CCF units during the overland march by using combined arms, close air support, mortars, and machineguns. The effective combination of these weapon systems reduced the number of individual infantrymen required and saved the force. countless casualties. "Speed, security, and deception are essential to successful concentration ..." which Colonel Davis constantly ensured by keeping the battalion moving after the breakout and after attacking the enemy outposts (FM 100-5, p. 7-2). Ensuring that the battalion moved on the correct azimuth of advance also attained speed. The best example of deception is the warming fires in the perimeter that were started before the simultaneous attack of the enemy outposts. Additionally, Davis made a conscious decision to leave the sick and wounded men at Yudam-ni, doubled up on the crew-served weapons crews, and instructed his battalion that the movement was to be conducted in silence. All of these issues added to the security of the force.

    Tempo is "the rate of speed of military action; controlling or altering that rate is essential for maintaining the initiative" (FM 100-5, p. 7-2). Davis maintained the tempo during the breakout of the Yudam-ni perimeter by keeping his lead company up front, even though the Marines were exhausted from the fight to pass through the CCF lines. Stopping to move another company forward would have permitted the CCF to maneuver, delay, or block the operation. After the attack on the CCF outpost, Lieutenant Colonel Davis kept the battalion moving. In addition to being a force protection issue, the Marines probably would have frozen from the sweat that formed during the attack, but Davis kept moving and maintained the initiative and tempo over CCF forces. This action also aided in the security of the force by not remaining in a position that the CCF knew of. Resting the Marines and permitting the battalion to sleep maintained the tempo because the rested Marines were able to regain their momentum in a few hours. Colonel Davis rested and fed his Marines before launching another attack on the CCF defensive outposts in Toktong Pass. Davis constantly adjusted the tempo and succeeded in keeping the CCF off balance.

    "Audacity is a key component of any successful offensive action. (FM 100-5, p. 7-3) The entire plan of allowing an infantry battalion to move overland in the mountains of North Korea, operating independently of its parent unit, is bold--particularly if the maneuver unit becomes decisively engaged. Company F's building of warming fires in its positions, along with the unexpected launching of three simultaneous attacks, demonstrates the effective application of the characteristics of the offense.

    (1) Graphics used in this article are from Ebb And Flow, November 1950-July 1951, The United States Army in the Korean War, Center of Military History, United States Army, Washington, D.C., 1990.

    Captain Douglas G. Schaffer is a company commander in 1st Battalion, 7th Marines, at 29 Palms, Calif. When he wrote this article, he was attending the Infantry Captains Career Course at Fort Benning.

    2003 U.S. Army Infantry School

    Another topic with different story on Chosin posted Hist2004

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts